GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PDC Retrofit Question

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ugghhh... why am I in this thread? I was going to ask if this worked with manual transmission hoping you guys would say no then I could ignore this thread... then I Googled it and... of course it works with manual transmission. So here we are. Also saw some the Ross Tech threads mention EPB faults... does PLA 2/3 depend on having the electronic parking brake? I would think not but I'm looking for a reason not to do this retrofit.

I assume that for PLA 3.0 one (not me) should purchase the 12K option...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32868830324.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.9.4cd449495kwtwJ

And then for the sensors holes, I see an option for the 18mm tool here, but then a 26 and 27.5mm tool as well...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000223166522.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.9.3f3c662eKcwfcX
Different seller has both the 18mm and 27mm, both for a little more money...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911604867.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.57613c35kgNtPB
There are also kits like these on Amazon/eBay that have multiple sizes... the few YT videos I've found suggest they work well...
https://www.amazon.com/Grade-Tools-Bumper-Parking-Maker-Punch/dp/B07P1C6F9C/
Also found some tools which I guess are intended to hold the sensor mounts while the adhesive sets. I could make something that does the same for a few bucks but did you guys use these?
https://www.ebay.com/i/164111558044?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

And for science (and Nuje, not for me, at all, for sure)... I assume it won't be worth it over the AliExpress tools but am still curious about OEM. Got a few questions:

1) Does anybody have the part number for the OEM tool(s) to cut the holes?
2) Is there documentation that identifies the hole sizes?
3) What adhesive have you guys used to secure the mounts to the bumper?
4) Any issue with manual parking brake?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Not that I'm interested in this at all either, but strictly in the name of science, and looking to answer at least one of Cuzoe's questions, it looks from this VW-specific Snap-on tool set that the hole punches are 18.2mm.
https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?itemid=51570116

Carsystems.eu has individual tools as well - part number VAS 6614/1 - ASE41217700000

From an auto body repair manual:
PDC.OPS.Hole.Tool.jpg

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think at some point last night I saw that Snap-on kit as well... it seems to also have punches for 17.8 and 18.4. They have some of the individual parts for sale but the kit, as it should, gets you the best price if you want multiple pieces...

The kit being sold here is VAS 6614C which adds part to VAS 6614B, which added parts to be VAS 6614A, which added parts to VAS 6614.
https://vw.snapon.com/Search.aspx?searchLink=false&keyword=vas6614

They make the description a pain to read but it says this:
The items supplied with the assembly tool for PDC holder VAS 6614A comprise:
VAS 6614 plus supplementary retrofit kit VAS 6614A/1 (1 centring pin ø17.8mm, 4 securing aids).

The items supplied with the assembly tool for PDC holder VAS 6614B comprise:
VAS 6614A plus supplementary 4 securing aids VAS 6614/7

The items supplied with the assembly tool for PDC holder VAS 6614C comprise:
VAS 6614B plus supplementary 4 securing aids VAS 6614/8 and screw hole punch ø18.4mm VAS 6614/9

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
A little more digging... the 2015 Erwin manual says to use VAS 6614B to install parking sensors. Same tool is called out for front and rear bumper.

According to the VW/Snap-on page, VAS 6614B = VAS 6614A plus supplementary 4 securing aids (VAS 6614/7)

VAS 6614A is comprised of the following:
1 screw hole punch ø 18.2mm
1 screw hole punch ø 26mm
1 centering drift ø 18.2mm
1 panel drill bit, cylindrical shaft
1 pin, red
4 attachment aids

This suggests that we need 18.2mm and 26mm holes... 18mm and 27mm were mentioned earlier in the thread. The 0.2mm is negligible and even the 1mm larger hole would be a non-issue, especially once painted.

Last edited:

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
As much as I love making things perfect and using proper tools, the prices for the official dealer tools are crazy and you'd better buying the aftermarket ones from AlIExpress. They also cost a lot, but not 500$.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
So after talking with the supplier on AliExpress, he suggested I need 18mm for the regular sensors and 28mm for the side sensors.

Anyone has exact measurements? I don't mind purchasing individual genuine tools (not kits), but I want to get the holes right.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The genuine tool I mentioned above, VAS 6614A includes 2 sizes only; 18.2mm and 26mm. This is the tooling called out in our car's manual. If I was buying individual tools I would go with those two sizes to start. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That kit looks to be missing the punches. It has the attaching tools to secure the sensor mounts to the bumper while the adhesive cures though. I would be more concerned with getting the punches which I don't see in the picture on that listing. The picture only shows some of the parts that should be part of the kit. I would not buy it.

Items supplied with VAS6614A: (according to Snap-on VW tool catalog, linked previously)
1 screw hole punch ø 18.2mm
1 screw hole punch ø 26mm
1 centering drift ø 18.2mm
1 panel drill bit, cylindrical shaft
1 pin, red
4 attachment aids

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Okay, so good news - I received the PLA 2.0 kit from AidaAuto. I have a few questions after planning it at my house.
This is what the full kit looks like. I connected it lightly to get a rough idea how to make it work in the car.:

IMG_0401.JPEG

1. Why does the CAN connection has an extra connector? Shouldn't it be just two pins and that's it?

IMG_0402.JPEG

2. What is the black/green wire for?

IMG_0403.JPEG

3. I assume this connector is for the center console buttons. However, what is the extra wired pin/connector for?

IMG_0404.JPEG

4. The speakers need to be mounted properly. Do you need securing screws for them?

If anyone has any pictures from their installation process, it'd be great.

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Can't help you with the other questions, but the CAN lo/hi extra wires are so that, if you there are already wires in the BCM in those slots, you can remove those, plug those ends in, and then plug the pre-existing wires that you extracted into the other end of that black connector housing.

One issue I came upon with this when doing my ACC retrofit, though, was that the pins I pulled from my existing housing didn't fit the connector; and the pins on the wiring harness from AliX similarly didn't fit the BCM in my car. I had to cut both wires and splice the ends from harness to the car wiring, and the vice-versa. Not sure if this will be an issue for the PLA; or maybe it was just that our NAR (I'm in Canada) car used different wire terminals (?).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
For those that completed this retrofit... what is the calibration procedure for the sensors? How/where did you have it done?
Edit: That is, assuming it needs calibration.

Last edited:

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
I don't think they need calibration, never heard of that. I only know the rearview camera needs it and this is also for the moving guidelines anyway as far as I know.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Apart from from the can hi/lo connector., the other 2 extra wires are your power and ground. It one with big clip goes behind the fuse box for switched positive connection. I clipped it out and added it to an existing fuse using an add a fuse adapter.

Will post the complete wiring diagram shortly.