GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launch control and shift issues.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The past 2 drag race events I have been to has gave me some problems. Wife almost had a coronary when I had to be pushed off the track 4 hours from the house Saturday...

First problem, launch control.
On the street I can activate Lc every time. Works like a charm. On the track, when staging, once the first bulb is lit I creep to the second bulb and stab the brakes. No go, just Boggs down and launches like a snail. I've only had 4 successful LC starts. 2 of which the next problem happened.

Launch then no shift.
Twice now when I get the LC to actually activate the car would launch like a rocket, go to shift from first to second, but go in no gear. This is instantly followed by the gear indicator on the digital dash to go blank. I have to let off the gas completely, come to a stop, then it finds first again like nothing happened. No cel, no code, nothing. It's like all is normal. I will not be going to the track again till its sorted out for sure.

Here is the car details.
2018 Golf R.
Stage 2 Unitronic ecu tune
Unitronic TCU tune
Unitronic downpipe
Unitronic direct fit IC
Afe dry filter

I have not been able to log due to (like an idiot) selling my jb4, not having the uniconnect cable, and not knowing how to log with OBD11. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The car has 5600 miles on it, so I'm kinda pissed it is giving me so many problems so early on. (I just made the first payment today....)

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Strange problem. Were you sitting in the staging lanes for long with the engine running?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
No. The pre staging lanes I was in for a while, but I sat with the hood up and motor off. Once we hit staging lanes, we sat for about a minute total before the run.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
The past 2 drag race events I have been to has gave me some problems. Wife almost had a coronary when I had to be pushed off the track 4 hours from the house Saturday...

First problem, launch control.
On the street I can activate Lc every time. Works like a charm. On the track, when staging, once the first bulb is lit I creep to the second bulb and stab the brakes. No go, just Boggs down and launches like a snail. I've only had 4 successful LC starts. 2 of which the next problem happened.

Launch then no shift.
Twice now when I get the LC to actually activate the car would launch like a rocket, go to shift from first to second, but go in no gear. This is instantly followed by the gear indicator on the digital dash to go blank. I have to let off the gas completely, come to a stop, then it finds first again like nothing happened. No cel, no code, nothing. It's like all is normal. I will not be going to the track again till its sorted out for sure.

Here is the car details.
2018 Golf R.
Stage 2 Unitronic ecu tune
Unitronic TCU tune
Unitronic downpipe
Unitronic direct fit IC
Afe dry filter

I have not been able to log due to (like an idiot) selling my jb4, not having the uniconnect cable, and not knowing how to log with OBD11. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The car has 5600 miles on it, so I'm kinda pissed it is giving me so many problems so early on. (I just made the first payment today....)

Will be interesting to see your time slip once ya get it figured out. You and I have the same year car and Uni tune/mods setup, except I don't have the IC. Hopefully you'll see high 11's to low 12's? Good luck and report back what the issue was!

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Are you getting too much driveline movement on the prepped surface for it to launch correctly?

Ignore me if that's a dumb idea 😋

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The calculator is saying high 11s.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
No. The pre staging lanes I was in for a while, but I sat with the hood up and motor off. Once we hit staging lanes, we sat for about a minute total before the run.
Are your gearbox and oil temps at operating temps?

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Yes sir. This was the last pass of the night. The 2 times it has done it was on 6he last pass. Oil temps was 190ish but I cant remember trans temps.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Will be interesting to see your time slip once ya get it figured out. You and I have the same year car and Uni tune/mods setup, except I don't have the IC. Hopefully you'll see high 11's to low 12's? Good luck and report back what the issue was!
Also, on the 1/8th mile I did have some good passes a few weeks ago. The best pass of the night was 7.82 at 90.15mph. Not to shabby I dont think.

r12rex

Go Kart Newbie
One thing to note is when using LC, I’ve always had to wait a few seconds after coming to a stop before it would properly activate. Remember, once you start modding cars...anything can happen, try contacting Unitronic with your concerns and see if they can help also.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
One thing to note is when using LC, I’ve always had to wait a few seconds after coming to a stop before it would properly activate. Remember, once you start modding cars...anything can happen, try contacting Unitronic with your concerns and see if they can help also.
That is my next step. I think they have a revision for there tcu tune out now, so I'll try to get an update. I have heard they have a Halidex tune also, so I might try it out once I get the shifting situation figured out.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm stock and had a hard time to get LC to work when I first bought the car. It could be me but I found if I let off the brake momentarily then press hard it always engages. It sounds like you're not doing that. If that doesn't help I'd say it's tune related.

ztorc

Go Kart Newbie
I have 2018 with uni ECU/TCU stage 2, and I have no issue with the LC. Try pressing the brake hard and let the RPM up for a few seconds before releasing the brake.

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
I'd say you stopping in staging then moving again might be confusing your computer.

Try giving the car a few seconds after moving before you engage lc. Check your on board diag and see that you're spooling up the right amount of boost.

Sometimes I get a lazy launch, sometimes I get a good launch. I can usually tell if I'm going to get a good launch just by how the car sounds.

It's not always going to give you want you want each and every time. You should be able to "feel" when the car is getting good build up..

About your dash showing no gear, and your car missing a gear; well, that seems like a bigger issue than.