GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit a bigger capacity battery to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The plate has to hook into the lower slots..so angle it with the bolt holes down to get the two tabs into the slots in the battery tray.....other that that I had no problems..but I don't have the air box there..

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
do you guys have a bigger case part number to fit the bigger battery, i got the duralast platinum H6-AGM

at the begining of the thread...

Quote:-
Item No.12:- 5Q0 915 411B, Protective battery case with flap for battery 68AH/380A AGM, for vehicles with, or without stop start £23.02 (x1) (this item has been superseded by part code 5Q0 915 411H)

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
For interested people on this side of the pond:
Battery sizes UK 027 and UK 096 don't exist in North America. If you're looking for the larger battery, look for Group 48 batteries. There aren't a lot around, but they are available.

Here are three:

Interstate MT7 48/H6 730 CCA (CostCo sells a Group 29 Interstate battery which is not available elsewhere, but would fit)
NorthStar Group 48 Battery NSB-AGM48 L3,H6
Deka Intimidator 9A48 Battery

BTW, My 2007 GTI had the larger battery in it. VW is just cutting corners (as we suspected).
Is the NorthStar an AGM battery?
Anyone in USA have experience with this maker or upgrading Mk7 to larger AGM batt?
Have a long trip SoCal to AK camping planned and would like to upgrade to larger AGM in 2017 Alltrack...

TIA for reply

-skeej

ps; deep bow of respect to golfdave gor compiling and updating this. Have referred folks here from vortex an FB for his tech info.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is the NorthStar an AGM battery?
Anyone in USA have experience with this maker or upgrading Mk7 to larger AGM batt?
Have a long trip SoCal to AK camping planned and would like to upgrade to larger AGM in 2017 Alltrack...

TIA for reply

-skeej

ps; deep bow of respect to golfdave gor compiling and updating this. Have referred folks here from vortex an FB for his tech info.

The Northstar battery listed in the post Googles out as AGM

NorthStar Group 48 Battery NSB-AGM48 L3,H6

https://www.northstarbattery.com/product/nsb-agm48-l3

& PS many thanks!!

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT

Elwood

3-7-77

I have been running the bigger Northstar in my Golf for three years now. No problems at all. The vendor is outstanding and very polite if you talk to them. I have seen the Northstar commended on other forums, as well.

marnie

Ready to race!
Apologies for bumping an old thread. I just replaced the battery in my daughters 17 Golf R and upon firing it up for the first time it triggered a bunch of warning lights. I did not reprogram anything as I don’t have the capability currently. After driving the car for a short trip the lights are gone. Do I still need to take the car to VW to have them program the new battery?
[/QUOTE lights going off after a short drive is normal after battery disconnection. Battery control module needs to be told there is a new battery or it will think there is still a depleted battery present and will not charge it properly. Dealer can do this , or if you have an android phone an OBD eleven has a app for this and would probably be cheaper.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Thanks @golfdave. Finally replaced my battery, felt like the cranking amps were not as strong as they used to be so just went with this Duracell AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size 48 (H6).

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
@golfdave hey can you bless me with your knowledge. Battery was replaced last year by vw and recently checked the coding via obdeleven. The dealer didn’t change any of the inputs. Can you tell me what to put in the battery type category, apologies for the dumb question. I’ve filled all the other inputs already except for the correct battery type.

Attachments

• EFCE78A7-AC93-4ADC-8DD4-B3F7C5D69E8F.jpeg
    EFCE78A7-AC93-4ADC-8DD4-B3F7C5D69E8F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 204

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@golfdave hey can you bless me with your knowledge. Battery was replaced last year by vw and recently checked the coding via obdeleven. The dealer didn’t change any of the inputs. Can you tell me what to put in the battery type category, apologies for the dumb question. I’ve filled all the other inputs already except for the correct battery type.

It says lead acid on it...googling the part number is confusing, but images for similar parts made by VW state EFB or AGM...yours doesn't so it must be a lead acid.....& its a 61AH ...just so long as they changed the serial number by one digit...& the AH rating & type are correct..