GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What "strip wash" shampoo" do you guys use?

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Do whatever you’re comfortable with, but most people have Dawn on hand so that’s the “free” option.

I’m sure you could spend $10-50 on something specifically marketed for that application, but either way I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

The best solution would be to have it professionally ceramic coated.
I was looking into that, and for a full coating of Modesta, it will run about $1k. I don't mind paying a price for quality, however that isn't in the budget at the moment.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I was looking into that, and for a full coating of Modesta, it will run about $1k. I don't mind paying a price for quality, however that isn't in the budget at the moment.
You can do a quality sealant for much, much less. I can't imagine paying $1k for a coating. Of course I truly hate clear bras.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
You can do a quality sealant for much, much less. I can't imagine paying $1k for a coating. Of course I truly hate clear bras.
I know its nowhere near the quality of a true ceramic, but Turtle Wax just came out with their hybrid line and its getting alot of good reviews. Might try that in the mean time.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Whatever you do, please do not use Dawn. Turtle Wax Hybrid line is great. Turtle Wax Seal and Shine is a REALLY good sealant. I personally use Jescar Power Lock as a sealant, and Collinite 845 as a wax.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Whatever you do, please do not use Dawn. Turtle Wax Hybrid line is great. Turtle Wax Seal and Shine is a REALLY good sealant. I personally use Jescar Power Lock as a sealant, and Collinite 845 as a wax.
Why do you use the Jescar instead of seal and shine?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Apparently I do too, mine's just old enough to still say Menzerna. I use Dodo wax if I'm bored. Just like Collinite, it flashes off in a few days in Texas heat, but it does look nice for a moment.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Apparently I do too, mine's just old enough to still say Menzerna. I use Dodo wax if I'm bored. Just like Collinite, it flashes off in a few days in Texas heat, but it does look nice for a moment.
Whats the point of applying Collinite if it only lasts a few days? Why wouldn't you just use the Turtle wax Seal and Shine instead?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Whats the point of applying Collinite if it only lasts a few days? Why wouldn't you just use the Turtle wax Seal and Shine instead?
The Power Lock and Turtle Wax are sealants. They do most of the protecting. Topping with a wax adds more shine and a little more protection against bird bombs, the weakness of synthetics. However carnauba melts at 165 F, which is easy for upright surfaces to hit on hot, sunny days.

LarryLaptimes

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Chances are the dealership used the least expensive quickest option possible (ie inexpensive spray wax) as protection. Wash it with a quality car soap and clay bar and you’ll be fine. I’d only be super concerned about that level of prep unless you’re applying a legitimate ceramic coating. Just my 2 cents...

eajr

Go Kart Champion
The Power Lock and Turtle Wax are sealants. They do most of the protecting. Topping with a wax adds more shine and a little more protection against bird bombs, the weakness of synthetics. However carnauba melts at 165 F, which is easy for upright surfaces to hit on hot, sunny days.
I understand I was just thinking to myself why would I go thru the trouble of applying Collinite or any other carnauba wax if the durability is that bad. Unless I was going to a car show, I wouldn't want to waste my time with something like that.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Why do you use the Jescar instead of seal and shine?

These new products from Turtle Wax, like Seal and Shine, were not available when I purchased every detailing product I have, so I am using that until its done. With that said, Jescar Power Lock is known in the detailing community to be great for a weekend warrior, and very cost effective. There are discussions on the need or desire to apply to wax on top of a sealant but like bentin said, some of it is to add that silk smooth shine of a wax. I like to do it because it is a small layer of protection for the sealant.

If you do decide to apply Collinite on top of Power Lock, wait 3 hours after applying the sealant. Like bentin said, wax tends to fade a lot quicker. I usually see it happen after my 3rd wash (a month and a half). The sealant will last 3-6 months in my experience, depending on exposure to environment.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I understand I was just thinking to myself why would I go thru the trouble of applying Collinite or any other carnauba wax if the durability is that bad. Unless I was going to a car show, I wouldn't want to waste my time with something like that.

It's not so much the trouble as it becomes an addiction to get your car always looking spotless, shiny and silk smooth paint.

Are you gonna be garaged or exposed?

eajr

Go Kart Champion
It's not so much the trouble as it becomes an addiction to get your car always looking spotless, shiny and silk smooth paint.

Are you gonna be garaged or exposed?
I'm going to be garaged. Thats the problem with stuff in today's day. There is always a new and improved product so what you had was good but now there's something even better. Hard and expensive to keep up.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
the CG clean slate works very well - the advantage over dawn is it helps to remove things like ceramic coatings (which to be fair, it doesn't sound like the OP has to worry about removing)

To be clear though, no stripper is needed, unless you plan on polishing. The aim is to strip coatings/waxes off to have clear access to polishing. OP, is that your aim?

Also, even after stripping but even after polishing, its good to us some Isopropyl alcohol to remove the polish prior to sealing.

In my experience, dawn works 'okay' at removing wax only, since wax in its naterual state is essentially made of oils which dawn breaks apart with ease. But this really doesn't work so well for ceramic coatings and true sealants that bond with the paint

eajr

Go Kart Champion
the CG clean slate works very well - the advantage over dawn is it helps to remove things like ceramic coatings (which to be fair, it doesn't sound like the OP has to worry about removing)

To be clear though, no stripper is needed, unless you plan on polishing. The aim is to strip coatings/waxes off to have clear access to polishing. OP, is that your aim?

Also, even after stripping but even after polishing, its good to us some Isopropyl alcohol to remove the polish prior to sealing.
Being that the car is new, the paint is in 8.5/10 condition. So I will be doing some slight correction, probably just needs a 1 stage.