GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What "strip wash" shampoo" do you guys use?

eajr

Go Kart Champion
With so many shampoos out there, I was just curious to know which strip wash you guys use? I'm looking to do a full detail on my new Mk7.5 next week and wanted to know what is popular so I can order it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
With so many shampoos out there, I was just curious to know which strip wash you guys use? I'm looking to do a full detail on my new Mk7.5 next week and wanted to know what is popular so I can order it.

If I wanted a blank slate to detail the car from I’d use Dawn dish soap...it’ll remove EVERYTHING, we’re talking zero wax.

I personally have the most neglected mk7 in town, so it already doesn’t bead water and I could skip that step if I somehow stumbled across the time to properly detail my car lol.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
If I wanted a blank slate to detail the car from I’d use Dawn dish soap...it’ll remove EVERYTHING, we’re talking zero wax.

I personally have the most neglected mk7 in town, so it already doesn’t bead water and I could skip that step if I somehow stumbled across the time to properly detail my car lol.
Lmao, that is hilarious. I wonder how you came to the conclusion that you own the most neglected Mk7 :ROFLMAO:

eajr

Go Kart Champion
I have heard people using Dawn, I'm not sure why, but the sound of that is kind of intimidating. Maybe I will try it though.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lmao, that is hilarious. I wonder how you came to the conclusion that you own the most neglected Mk7 :ROFLMAO:

That’s probably an overstatement, but the poor thing has 91k miles on it and it rarely gets washed, our parking lot is literally a chain link fence away from a concrete plant (at my aviation job) and the last time I used clay bar or wax on it I honestly couldn’t tell you. It either needs a full pain correction or vinyl wrap (they’d probably cost about the same at this point).

I started wrapping it a few years ago and almost immediately hit a deer, so I had to remove it so the body shop could properly fix the car. Not a big deal since wrapping a car is much harder than I anticipated having only wrapped roofs and hoods prior to that attempt

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have heard people using Dawn, I'm not sure why, but the sound of that is kind of intimidating. Maybe I will try it though.

Whatever you do commit to it if you try it. If you wash with Dawn then drive it unprotected bugs will become one with the paint. You’d need to set aside a full day to detail with zero driving after the wash.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's a degreaser, so it will remove conventional, carnauba based waxes. However it won't really do much to most ceramic or synthetic sealants. The question is, what are you trying to do? If you're just trying to get a clean surface and are going to do a full detail, I'd just do a wash with your regular soap, treat with Iron X and clay. After that and even a light glaze, nothing will be left, and if you're going to do a two or three stage polish, you'll definitely have removed anything resembling a sealant or coating.

Dawn washes seem to have caught on with the Zaino set years ago, but they're hard on rubber seals and trim pieces and I'd personally skip it. You can always do an isopropyl alcohol spray down (also very hard on seals/trim but you can tape) if you're just trying to remove a sealant and apply a new sealant with no claying, iron x or polishing, but I've rarely (aka never) found a car that doesn't need at least some correction work.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG

Do NOT use any dish soap. This has been debunked already. It was believed that Dawn stripped sealants and waxes, but it was found that instead, it leaves another layer of residue that masks sealants and waxes.

If you intend to strip wax/sealants, there are a few common options: CG Clean Slate or CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (diluted to a high ratio, can't recall the amount now, should show on the label).

Obviously if you are full detailing, and you are using an iron decon product such as Iron X, as well as claying, it should help stripping everything along with those two options. Feel free to PM for help detailing, I do it extensively as a hobby.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Do NOT use any dish soap. This has been debunked already. It was believed that Dawn stripped sealants and waxes, but it was found that instead, it leaves another layer of residue that masks sealants and waxes.

If you intend to strip wax/sealants, there are a few common options: CG Clean Slate or CG Citrus Wash & Gloss (diluted to a high ratio, can't recall the amount now, should show on the label).

Obviously if you are full detailing, and you are using an iron decon product such as Iron X, as well as claying, it should help stripping everything along with those two options. Feel free to PM for help detailing, I do it extensively as a hobby.
I have yet to find a citrus wash that doesn't leave a film. Again, not an issue if you're going to do other steps, but I wouldn't recommend sealing right over any citrus wash. But then I also wouldn't recommend sealing without some form of glaze either.

Navi

Autocross Champion
dawn soap works. It doesn't leave film like someone stated. The CG/Adams wash all have shit in them. Don't use them. Dawn soap or wash with car shampoo then wash again with diluted APC. Regardless, claying and iron spray process will both remove anything else on the paint. Polishing also removes residue left behind but not the ideal way to do it.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I have yet to find a citrus wash that doesn't leave a film. Again, not an issue if you're going to do other steps, but I wouldn't recommend sealing right over any citrus wash. But then I also wouldn't recommend sealing without some form of glaze either.

I guess I assumed if they are concerned about stripping wax/sealant, then they are planning to do the other steps. Honestly after claying, I usually do a 5 minute wash with regular Meguiar's Gold Class cause I find that easier than spraying shit to remove residue from the clay lube, which I normally use ONR diluted 16:1.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
My main objective is to remove whatever (if any) paint protection is on my car that was previously applied from the factory/dealer, so that I can do my own full detail. I just brought my Mk7.5 home last weekend, its a 2019 SE. I do not know how long the car was sitting at the dealer, and they didn't want to tell me. I would assume that it was there for a while. When I went to buy the car I had the salesman pop the hood and it was unbelievably dusty and dirty; so much to the point that everything under the hood was literally gray in color, instead of black. I was scouting their inventory on their website for a little while and noticed that it obviously never sold, however, multiple other cars (19s and 20s) did. The dealer said they had trouble selling it because it was Tornado Red.

Anyways, that's my objective. I am hesitant to try Dawn as I have heard it is pretty hard on rubber and other surfaces. I have already purchased a bottle of Carpro Iron X, and a Meguiar's Professional Clay bar (mild). Just looking for input in stripping shampoos.

Navi

Autocross Champion
My main objective is to remove whatever (if any) paint protection is on my car that was previously applied from the factory/dealer, so that I can do my own full detail. I just brought my Mk7.5 home last weekend, its a 2019 SE. I do not know how long the car was sitting at the dealer, and they didn't want to tell me. I would assume that it was there for a while. When I went to buy the car I had the salesman pop the hood and it was unbelievably dusty and dirty; so much to the point that everything under the hood was literally gray in color, instead of black. I was scouting their inventory on their website for a little while and noticed that it obviously never sold, however, multiple other cars (19s and 20s) did. The dealer said they had trouble selling it because it was Tornado Red.

Anyways, that's my objective. I am hesitant to try Dawn as I have heard it is pretty hard on rubber and other surfaces. I have already purchased a bottle of Carpro Iron X, and a Meguiar's Professional Clay bar (mild). Just looking for input in stripping shampoos.

one time won't make a difference for the rubber and trim. Just treat and seal them afterwards.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Do whatever you’re comfortable with, but most people have Dawn on hand so that’s the “free” option.

I’m sure you could spend $10-50 on something specifically marketed for that application, but either way I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

The best solution would be to have it professionally ceramic coated.