GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many unscheduled repairs during your first 100k?

How reliable has your Mk7 been over the first 100k?

• Totally bulletproof

• A few issues, nothing to complain about

• Meh, it's fine

• We've had issues

• Utter disaster

Results are only viewable after voting.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The issue isnt so common that it happens to the majority of people so you may be fine. Its just more common of an issue that I think it should be looked into by VW and a revised part released.

VW hasn't fixed it over a few generations of GTI's so I wouldn't count on it. Happens on the 1.8 also.

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15GTISE-MT/08CivicSI
160,000 Miles- 2015 manual SE- Its been pretty good. I had an issue with the sunroof shade right from the beginning and the dealer was not helpful ( long story) and I did replace the starter at around 80K. The starter issue may be just a service shop were I got ripped off I believe.
I also have an 08 Civic SI with 250K. I find thats its really well built, no shakes or rattles, still very solid. the seats look great the interior has no weird peeling, just some scratches on the lower cheap plastic parts u don't really see. Im not mechanical so I just bring it to the dealer( I switched to the one in Ann Arbor Mi). I also have coolant leakage but I think its done that since the beginning and the dealer tells me its normal. My original dealer told me that it was normal when I first told them about it. than they said I needed to replace it around 65K, I felt the guy was lying so I tried another dealer( Ann Arbor) and they never said anything and now Im at 160K same system. Overall its pretty good.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
160,000 Miles- 2015 manual SE- Its been pretty good. I had an issue with the sunroof shade right from the beginning and the dealer was not helpful ( long story) and I did replace the starter at around 80K. The starter issue may be just a service shop were I got ripped off I believe.
I also have an 08 Civic SI with 250K. I find thats its really well built, no shakes or rattles, still very solid. the seats look great the interior has no weird peeling, just some scratches on the lower cheap plastic parts u don't really see. Im not mechanical so I just bring it to the dealer( I switched to the one in Ann Arbor Mi). I also have coolant leakage but I think its done that since the beginning and the dealer tells me its normal. My original dealer told me that it was normal when I first told them about it. than they said I needed to replace it around 65K, I felt the guy was lying so I tried another dealer( Ann Arbor) and they never said anything and now Im at 160K same system. Overall its pretty good.

The coolant leakage is unfortunately normal but it's still fixable under warranty. Too late for you now on the warranty but that dealer was just lazy. Welcome to the forum also. I live in AZ now but I grew up around Toledo.

amsr

Ready to race!
I also have coolant leakage but I think its done that since the beginning and the dealer tells me its normal. My original dealer told me that it was normal when I first told them about it. than they said I needed to replace it around 65K, I felt the guy was lying so I tried another dealer( Ann Arbor) and they never said anything and now Im at 160K same system. Overall its pretty good.

Coolant leakage should be fixed. I go to the same Ann Arbor dealer and they fixed my thermostat under warranty when I pointed out the low coolant to them. Unfortunately my car is smelling of coolant and losing some again so I’m going back after the quarantine is lifted. I have been overall pretty happy with VW Ann Arbor though.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I had an issue with the sunroof shade right from the beginning and the dealer was not helpful ( long story)

Was your sunshade opening on it's own? That seems to be a very common nagging problem but there are some DYI fixes.

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15GTISE-MT/08CivicSI
Was your sunshade opening on it's own? That seems to be a very common nagging problem but there are some DYI fixes.
Oh the sunshade, it had trouble opening. When you slid it back and forth it would get stuck and become diagonal. I kinda just lived with it until I sat in a new one which slid perfect. The dealer said they would fix it when I was close to warranty and he said I could comeback next month and it wasnt a problem. When I came back I was 500 miles over the warranty, and at first they said they charge me only a 100 and to comeback next month. I came back next month but I drove 5K a month at the time and than he said he had to get authorization for VW and it went on and on and it never got fixed. I went to another dealer in Cleveland and some service tech guy kinda fixed it no charge and it its been fine since.

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15GTISE-MT/08CivicSI
Coolant leakage should be fixed. I go to the same Ann Arbor dealer and they fixed my thermostat under warranty when I pointed out the low coolant to them. Unfortunately my car is smelling of coolant and losing some again so I’m going back after the quarantine is lifted. I have been overall pretty happy with VW Ann Arbor though.
Yeah I like the Ann Arbor dealer also. I talked to them about the coolant and they said not to really worry about it and that a little coolant is normal. I do smell it when I get out of the car 70% of the time. In the whole life of the car, Im still on the original container of coolant I bought. I just keep it with me at all times. I noticed sometimes the way I park correlates with it. ex- At a Hotel in Cleveland with a parking garage, the three times I parked on the higher levels the coolant was very red light low. When I park at another hotel on ground level where its flat, everything is fine.

amsr

Ready to race!
Yeah I like the Ann Arbor dealer also. I talked to them about the coolant and they said not to really worry about it and that a little coolant is normal. I do smell it when I get out of the car 70% of the time. In the whole life of the car, Im still on the original container of coolant I bought. I just keep it with me at all times. I noticed sometimes the way I park correlates with it. ex- At a Hotel in Cleveland with a parking garage, the three times I parked on the higher levels the coolant was very red light low. When I park at another hotel on ground level where its flat, everything is fine.

Yeah I mean mine has never had a fast leak where it overheated or dumped coolant on the driveway which is great, but coolant is toxic and I am not in love with breathing coolant fumes. I can get a faint smell of it inside the car by way of the outside HVAC intake at times. The intake is adjacent to the engine bay. I also can smell it with the windows down. The smell goes away when I turn on recirculate and keep the windows up.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah I mean mine has never had a fast leak where it overheated or dumped coolant on the driveway which is great, but coolant is toxic and I am not in love with breathing coolant fumes. I can get a faint smell of it inside the car by way of the outside HVAC intake at times. The intake is adjacent to the engine bay. I also can smell it with the windows down. The smell goes away when I turn on recirculate and keep the windows up.

Check the thermostat housing for a leak. That's the number one problem.

FoamsMk7

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI 2-Door
55K, 2015 GTI. Bought used, Don't regret it, has been a fun car and has been very reliable apart from a few issues.

Real Problems (all are common issues found on this forum)
1. VW replaced N80 valve and EVAP Canister under warranty (got check gas cap on dash and sometimes a check engine light that would come and go, very difficult for dealer to diagnose but they replaced it after the 3rd time coming in)
2. Silver Trim around shifter was peeling and was easy to cut yourself (VW replaced under warranty)
3. Lastly, would have to top up coolant every few months or so, very slow decrease, but I recently took into the dealer to run pressure tests, check for leaking , etc. but everything was fine, they recommended a coolant flush though

Again, these are common issues on this forum, and #1 and #3 are the most concerning but VW/dealers have been helpful for the most part in helping address the issue.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
The usual suspects: rogue sunshade, sunroof squeaks, hates to engage drive after backing out of the driveway (DSG). The only issue I have that I don't see a lot of on here is the passenger side touch sensor to unlock the door(s) decides not to work intermittently. I plan to ask about that the next time the car is in for service...

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
62k Highly abusive miles with 35k of those running DBV2 and MPI. Not a problem save for a battery that went out after 2years. I’m impressed

DThissen

Ready to race!
Bumping this back to the top.
At 5000km car ('19R) developed an issue where at full throttle the car felt like it hit a rev limiter at 5000-5500rpm. Dealer changed plugs, coils, serviced the dsg (thought that it might have been underfilled, it wasn't), updated ecu and tcu software, swapped the maf sensor, re-calibrated the throttle body and ran multiple diagnostics. No codes, no cel or epc light. They have had the car since July 6th and are in contact with VW. They now believe it might be a faulty ECU.