GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many unscheduled repairs during your first 100k?

How reliable has your Mk7 been over the first 100k?

• Totally bulletproof

• A few issues, nothing to complain about

• Meh, it's fine

• We've had issues

• Utter disaster

Results are only viewable after voting.

wizmk7gti

Passed Driver's Ed
67k ,condenser went just out of warranty. Have an intermittent audio issue. 2dr.6spd. No sunroof issues, a little wind noise that I'll negate with gummi pfledge. Not loosing antifreeze nor using oil. Love this car.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Got my 2017 GTI S back in mid January with 12kmiles. Im at 18k and no issues. Only thing Ive done maintenance wise is just a rotation I did last week. I need an oil change tho since I live in extremely hot weather.

VW service manager recommended...
every 5k miles do a rotation cuz apparently the rear is slightly cambered.

Oil change every 10k miles but if you live in the south where its very hot recommended every 7k miles

Anyone know if the car will automatically tell me when it needs an oil change? This my first VW

DP03

Ready to race!
Part of the totally bulletproof category. 2017 Autobahn, 30k, full APR S2 since 1,000 miles. Zero issues, including squeaks or rattles.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
2017 6mt sport with mucho mods. 52k miles, bought 21 months ago with 38k miles.

It hasn't *needed* anything besides a clutch and that was only because of stage 2 hrspwrs. Maybe the previous owner had every problem already fixed.

I will say that if I was not a heavy diy kind of person I probably would not have bought any vw, let alone a used one with half+ its warranty depleted.

Even when a car has a warranty, having to go and deal with problems is still a humongous pain in the ass. I swear, if my thermostat / h20 pump goes, I'd almost rather just diy it than try and get a dealership to warranty it.

I tend to keep cars for a long time. Knowing I can diy almost anything opens up a lot more options on what I can buy.

But let's face it. Vw's tend to lack in reliability as much as they excel in fun / other areas.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Part of the totally bulletproof category. 2017 Autobahn, 30k, full APR S2 since 1,000 miles. Zero issues, including squeaks or rattles.

The rattles on my 2018 are driving me nuts. Even the front seat head rests have a rattle coming from the buttons used to adjust them lol

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
Anyone know if the car will automatically tell me when it needs an oil change? This my first VW
My car said an oil change was due when it was a year old from date of manufacture, not when I bought it. I'll find out whether or not it really could've used it then, as I changed the oil which was used for the first ~5500 miles and sent it off for analysis.

alemk7gti

Ready to race!
2016 Gti S 47k miles. I have had it for 3 years now. Only issue was I had to get the thermostat housing replaced due to badly leaking coolant at around 44k miles. Has been on jb4 since 28k miles. Have all the bolt ons. Awesome car when it comes to reliability.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
2018 GTI at 54,000km and absolutely love the car. The only issue I've had is the horn stopped working but it was replaced under warranty.

thrillho

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE DSG
Had the sunroof squeak at around 8k, dealer applied tape then the window auto up down stopped working at around 10k which just needed to reprogram. At 19k now.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Had the sunroof squeak at around 8k, dealer applied tape then the window auto up down stopped working at around 10k which just needed to reprogram. At 19k now.

Where was the tape applied? Around the edges to tighten the seal?

DThissen

Ready to race!
Pre owned Mk7 GTI (Picked up at 50,000k)
Interior trim around shifter was peeling (VW wouldnt cover)
Door kick plate lights failed
Injector 2 failed @ 60,000km.
Sold at 72,000km

New Mk7.5R
Replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor @ 200km.

Replaced both front brake pads and rotors due to uneven rust and deposits on the rotors (Inner half of rotors were corroded, outer half was fine) @ 500km after I tried multiple times to bed in the pads.

3500km had to have the AC system recharged because it blew hot air.

5000km car developed an issue where at full throttle the car felt like it hit a rev limiter at 5000-5500rpm. Dealer changed plugs, coils, service dsg (thought that it might have been underfilled, it wasn't), updated ecu and tcu software, swapped the maf sensor, re calibrated the throttle body and ran multiple diagnostics. No codes, no cel or epc light. They have had the car since July 6th and are in contact with VW. They believe it might be a faulty ECU.

Last edited:

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
67k 2015 gti s

waterpump failed at 27k plus coolant leaks
thermostat housing failed at 59k plus coolant leaks
also at 59k top timing belt cover leaked, costing 450
more coolant leaks costing 450 or so at 67k

on the plus sidem, this is the first time ive owned it i dont smell coolant

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
67k 2015 gti s

waterpump failed at 27k plus coolant leaks
thermostat housing failed at 59k plus coolant leaks
also at 59k top timing belt cover leaked, costing 450
more coolant leaks costing 450 or so at 67k

on the plus sidem, this is the first time ive owned it i dont smell coolant

And it only took 67,000 miles. That sucks.