GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bolt Ons, Hoses, etc.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my turbo inlet hose and other hoses/pipes. Or is it just a waste of money on this platform?
GTI IS20 stage 2

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

1589977371131.jpg

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my turbo inlet hose and other hoses/pipes. Or is it just a waste of money on this platform?
GTI IS20 stage 2

Where do you draw the line at being worthwhile or not? There's a number of parts that make small differences that get labeled as being mods you're wasting money on despite producing measurable gains. The bar for the herd seems to be set around 20 whp, under that and it's a waste of money. If you want to use 20 whp as the cutoff then probably not worth it.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I’ve read from some tuners the the turbo inlet pipe and i take although are considered a waste of money due to not making power gains are actually good at helping the turbo work less.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
If you go big turbo then yes its worth it. At is20 or is38 levels, not worth it. What do you want the max of the car to be?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
People will argue about this until the end of time. Can it make a difference? Yes. Will it make a difference? Possibly. There's a multitude of variables that come into play

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
my $0.02.

for sure the best upgrades are:
ECU/DSG Tune (I recommend COBB)
Downpipe
intercooler
then HPFP and get an E50 fuel pro tune (this makes a massive difference)
the above on is20 turbo should get to 300whp and be a blast to drive on the street

then if want more power go with EQT turbo or some hybrid upgrade, and with HPFP, can get to 450whp pretty easy (which is ~ where my car is today)

Everything else is just odds/ends that may make some small difference but is not a great $/HP ratio. ie: costs a lot and makes very small horsepower gains.

Turbo inlet is maybe worth 4whp on a good day but it's not real expensive and easy install. tiny tiny benefit (100rpm max) in faster turbo spool

The turbo piping is worth zero hp until at >350whp. Then I have heard Ed say that his EQT piping kit is worth something like 8whp on a 400whp+ car

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I haven't really seen any solid info when it comes to replacing the boost pipes. I replaced the inlet because it was easy and didn't really cost all that much. I looked to the boost hoses that go to the intercooler...but they don't really seem to do too much for what they cost and time to install them.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I haven't really seen any solid info when it comes to replacing the boost pipes. I replaced the inlet because it was easy and didn't really cost all that much. I looked to the boost hoses that go to the intercooler...but they don't really seem to do too much for what they cost and time to install them.

Neither have I. I'm mostly interested in the air intake hose that would replace the stock accordion one. I already have an aftermarket turbo inlet elbow.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
I got my ECS one used for like $30 shipped. Of course I didn't expect any gains or difference....but hey why not. Made boost leak tests a lot easier.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The silicone boost hoses are just to prevent expansion under boost, when compared to rubber hoses. It's just to help smooth out the airflow, but isn't really necessary on a street car. They're also a bit more durable. They're nice to have, but not a requirement by any means

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Where do you draw the line at being worthwhile or not? There's a number of parts that make small differences that get labeled as being mods you're wasting money on despite producing measurable gains. The bar for the herd seems to be set around 20 whp, under that and it's a waste of money. If you want to use 20 whp as the cutoff then probably not worth it.

Depends on the cost.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
GTI IS20 stage 2

The cost of "all" the turbo piping including the TIP will cost about the same as a protune. The cost per HP ratio favors the protune by a very wide margin. If you've already done everything else and can afford the high dollar to low HP improvement then why not.