GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

bfury5

Autocross Champion
And those have the solid rubber bushings too, so they'd potentially improve traction and turn in even more
I installed the RS3 solid bushing on stock replacement LCAs. Definitely makes a huge difference on turn-in for sure.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Is there no reasonable way to get a little more camber other than coilovers and camber plates?
Lots of people have done offset strut mounts combined with LCA to get a street-friendly setup with camber gain. For local competition it probably won't matter. At a more serious level people are building to the rules, so being able to only add camber at the top OR the bottom is important. Camber plates aren't everyones cup of tea, but they are the easiest way to add a significant amount of camber easily (and relatively cheaply).

bfury5

Autocross Champion
It turns in so well now. Managing understeer constantly while driving is tedious and GS trim became a chore. I'm loving the car now.
Definitely agreed. When I first switched to coils and had my plates adjusted at -2.0 on both sides, even that was so much better. The combination of stiffer springs (less roll) and the camber and the solid bushings made it very sharp. It's basically the entire reason I left GS, fighting the car got old quick.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Definitely agreed. When I first switched to coils and had my plates adjusted at -2.0 on both sides, even that was so much better. The combination of stiffer springs (less roll) and the camber and the solid bushings made it very sharp. It's basically the entire reason I left GS, fighting the car got old quick.

It was fun to be in the top 5 pax every event though, lol. The car is a pax whore in GS. Just not fun to drive.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
When I tech, if I see something way out of class, I'll let the owner know, but that's it. Not my job to police your class or competitors. If you're in my class, I really don't care unless it's something that's actually going to be an advantage. I would classify camber plates AND LCA's as a real advantage in autocross. You have a FMIC vs stock placement, I just don't care. You have some minor aero mod that isn't going to do crap for you at autocross speeds, I don't care. Etc... Show up with 285's and massive camber, we have problems, unless you're a novice. If that's the case, no one cares until you start winning. lol.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
It was fun to be in the top 5 pax every event though, lol. The car is a pax whore in GS. Just not fun to drive.
Top 5? Damn, that's great. I've only snuck in top 10 once or twice in my local region, but I'll blame that on the multiple national champions we have

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Top 5? Damn, that's great. I've only snuck in top 10 once or twice in my local region, but I'll blame that on the multiple national champions we have

We have 5 or 6 national champs and many competitive National level drivers in our group too. It's brutal sometimes when they all show to the same event. lol. I've been beat like a red headed stepchild by Randy Pobst. My co-driver the last 2 years was picked up for a TCA seat. I'm fast, but not alien fast, and I've developed the bad habit of coning my fastest run on a cone I didn't hit on any other run that day. lol. Autocross is infinitely more frustrating that driving on a track.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
We have 5 or 6 national champs and many competitive National level drivers in our group too. It's brutal sometimes when they all show to the same event. lol. I've been beat like a red headed stepchild by Randy Pobst. My co-driver the last 2 years was picked up for a TCA seat. I'm fast, but not alien fast, and I've developed the bad habit of coning my fastest run on a cone I didn't hit on any other run that day. lol. Autocross is infinitely more frustrating that driving on a track.

Next time you see Randy, give him my regards. I'm back after a 20 year layoff. We have some history going back to the 83 Runnoffs in our ES Mk. 1 Rabbits. I don't plan on being caught-out on last years tires again at Nationals.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I missed him last week testing out at FIRM. I'm hoping we get to run Daytona, he usually comes to at least one of the events there a year.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I was racing out of Texas Region at that time. We had some stiff local competition & several National Champions- Tommy Saunders- AS, BS, B Mod, Bruce Dickey- FS. Locally, I have Mike & Dave Potaki (Dave was 3rd at Nationals in GS this year, and Randy Zimmer- ex Can Am, Pro Rally, etc.

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Not going to lie, I want those so bad. I'd switch back to stock strut tops to do those.
doing both subframes, trailing arms, the whole kit n kaboodle, I kinda wonder how much better the car would handle. I mean, a stock gti with really nice coilovers, basically the verkline catalog, and some sticky 265's. You'd still only be what, 32-34k into the car if you did the work, with no warranty fux'd with.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
doing both subframes, trailing arms, the whole kit n kaboodle, I kinda wonder how much better the car would handle. I mean, a stock gti with really nice coilovers, basically the verkline catalog, and some sticky 265's. You'd still only be what, 32-34k into the car if you did the work, with no warranty fux'd with.

Warranty ship sailed already for me, but I ran 1 event in STH with no tune. Over a second back from a nationally competitive WRX. I was on 245's on 8.5's, APR springs. 26mm rear sway, and Eurosport camber kit. Just a Cobb OTS stg 1 tune and I've got. 5 sec on him. Next year, 265's, DP, custom tune if that clutch rule passes.