GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GDT and R estates - Bumpers

ikcarus

Hi all,

I've been studying part numbers etc... but I'm wondering if anyone can help? Is the R estate rear bumper compatible with the GTD estate? I'd be keen on dropping an R rear end onto a GTD for the economy!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What do you mean a rear end? And how would that affect economy?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Hi all,

I've been studying part numbers etc... but I'm wondering if anyone can help? Is the R estate rear bumper compatible with the GTD estate? I'd be keen on dropping an R rear end onto a GTD for the economy!
R Estate bumper=GSW 7.5 bumper. The GSW 7 and 7.5 bumpers are interchangeable, so I don't see why not. Just remember to pick up the correct valence as well.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The GTD has better economy than the R, but the R looks noticeably better. I'd prefer to put the rear valance of the R onto the GTD, but suspect I need the whole bumper to do that
& a whole new double rear back box exhaust....

ikcarus

& a whole new double rear back box exhaust....
Yes, that's a bit of a problem! I was considering maybe a cobra sport or Miltek exhaust. I don't know how it would work getting a R exhaust from a scrap car, and using just the tips - on a diesel. Catback likely needed to get some noise from it?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yes, that's a bit of a problem! I was considering maybe a cobra sport or Miltek exhaust. I don't know how it would work getting a R exhaust from a scrap car, and using just the tips - on a diesel. Catback likely needed to get some noise from it?

The R rear valance has a big cutout on each side for the quad tip exhaust.....(twin tips each side)…..& for the estate the "Y" splitter from the single pipe to the two rear back boxes is where the rear suspension is...& it has a different fuel tank.....basically you can't do it.....as the exhaust on the R runs down the centre of the car & under the "saddle" fuel tank.....as the prop shaft for the rear drive runs this way...…..

for your car the fuel tank puts the exhaust down the UK passenger side at the rear suspension….you would now have to custom fabricate a pipe from there across the rear subframe to the "twin" back box on the drivers side....

it could be done, the space for the rear box is behind an aero cover panel, & there is room around the rear suspension...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here is the MK7 Golf "R" estate underside & exhaust route

VW mk7 golf r estate exhaust.png

Now here is a Seat Leon (MQB platform so same underside as yours) which has had a twin conversion like you want:-

Seat Leon estate 2wd R exhaust.jpg

https://www.all-stars-motorsport.co...leon-3-cupra-st-scorpion-catback-ssts012.html

The Seat could have twin rear boxes as there is plenty of room, but note the extra shielding you will have to get, & the way the pipework has to cross the suspension to the left side of the fuel tank instead of the central tunnel under the fuel tank.

2WD & AWD have different fuel tanks & rear suspension.....basically the section between the rear of the fuel tank & the start of the rear boxes is what you have to custom fabricate up...to join a 2WD exhaust front to the "R" twin boxes...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

View attachment 170705

Now here is a Seat Leon (MQB platform so same underside as yours) which has had a twin conversion like you want:-

View attachment 170704

https://www.all-stars-motorsport.co...leon-3-cupra-st-scorpion-catback-ssts012.html

The Seat could have twin rear boxes as there is plenty of room, but note the extra shielding you will have to get, & the way the pipework has to cross the suspension to the left side of the fuel tank instead of the central tunnel under the fuel tank.

2WD & AWD have different fuel tanks & rear suspension.....basically the section between the rear of the fuel tank & the start of the rear boxes is what you have to custom fabricate up...to join a 2WD exhaust front to the "R" twin boxes...

I have no personal interest about this but I'm always impressed at the wealth of information that you have.

ikcarus

View attachment 170705

View attachment 170704

Gosh, thank you so much for such detailed in - I agree with the previous poster, a wealth of information. I've been digging on the internet for quite some time, and this is the first definite post I've been able to find. I didn't realise there was such difference between the two, but I see exactly what you mean. Swapping rear ends on the GTD and R is not just as straight forward as one might assume! Which is a pity, as, compared to the R, the GTD has such a disappointing rear, particularly when it's supposed to be a "sports" edition

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Gosh, thank you so much for such detailed in - I agree with the previous poster, a wealth of information. I've been digging on the internet for quite some time, and this is the first definite post I've been able to find. I didn't realise there was such difference between the two, but I see exactly what you mean. Swapping rear ends on the GTD and R is not just as straight forward as one might assume! Which is a pity, as, compared to the R, the GTD has such a disappointing rear, particularly when it's supposed to be a "sports" edition

No problem......

The reason I know is I almost bought a damaged manual gearbox R hatch..& swapped the whole engine/drivetrain into my car as VW do not make manual gearbox R estates or even offer Tungsten Silver for them either!

Its an easy job (compared to previous generations of Golf)..but health/time constrains meant it was a no-go...but a member on here has done the swap in USA!

If your car is a MK7.5 then I think the rear bumper is the same, only the black valance has to be swapped....if its a MK7 then I think the whole bumper is different...

Then just remove the right side aero panel, fit the "R" heat shields & install the two rear back boxes for an "R"..(any make)...then you would have to see how the "Y" section for your aftermarket back boxes or OEM ones fit..it it clears suspension all ok use the "Y", then fab up a pipe to connect to the existing exhaust pipe in the tunnel to the left of the fuel tank..

Simples!!!.....

...or not & £££££..??

ikcarus

No problem......

The reason I know is I almost bought a damaged manual gearbox R hatch..& swapped the whole engine/drivetrain into my car as VW do not make manual gearbox R estates or even offer Tungsten Silver for them either!

Its an easy job (compared to previous generations of Golf)..but health/time constrains meant it was a no-go...but a member on here has done the swap in USA!

If your car is a MK7.5 then I think the rear bumper is the same, only the black valance has to be swapped....if its a MK7 then I think the whole bumper is different...

Then just remove the right side aero panel, fit the "R" heat shields & install the two rear back boxes for an "R"..(any make)...then you would have to see how the "Y" section for your aftermarket back boxes or OEM ones fit..it it clears suspension all ok use the "Y", then fab up a pipe to connect to the existing exhaust pipe in the tunnel to the left of the fuel tank..

Simples!!!.....

...or not & £££££..??

It's a mk7, so a whole 7.5 bumper needed. If I was fit to drop the exhaust and heat shields from a scrap R, and just fab the Y, hopefully it won't work out too expensive!

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
You could look into exhausts for the Seat Cupra ST models with FWD, many of the well-known brands in Europe cater to them including Remus, Milltek, Scorpion, Fox, etc...these MQB cars are all the same. On this linked thread, "luluseat" (post 107) took the OEM exhaust from a Mk7.5R Estate (which sounds pretty good) and had it fabricated to fit his FWD Seat Cupra ST using his stock resonator with a notable improvement in sound (pics included).

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....-with-mk7-5-golf-estate-exhaust.453316/page-6

All of the Seat Leon Cupra ST models have twin rear mufflers and the FWD models have the same routing as GolfDave pictured above, only you might need offset tips to fit the Golf R Estate valence if using an aftermarket exhaust for the Cupra. Perhaps a Cupra ST valence would fit your bumper? That would make tip solutions even easier.