GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to drive faster!

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
If it‘s the rev hang that’s messing you up, maybe try lifting off the gas a brief moment before pushing in the clutch instead of lifting off at the same time. That fraction of a second of early lift-off may be enough to eat up some revs and allow a smoother gear change.
I'll give that a try. Thanks

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Can you elaborate on this some more with some examples or specifics. I think this is what I'm missing to get the revs fall faster.

That's where I was talking about the throttle roll off. You have to allow the engine to settle after you build up the speed near the top of the RPM you targeted to shift at. The more throttle angle you apply, the more roll off you need to allow to level off the fuel to minimize rev hang.

One thing you can do is after you engage 1st gear, give it more gas as you normally would to accelerate and just hold the pedal steady until the engine reaches the max RPM for that throttle input, and hold an extra second. The engine by then has settled to the max RPM you targeted for that throttle angle so you won't have to roll off the throttle and just continue onto shifting into 2nd gear. Once you get the hang of that, reduce the extra duration you are holding the RPM in 1st. Once you get use to that, then you can drive more dynamically by modulating more throttle as needed and roll off without thinking about it.

I think you are modulating the throttle too much and possibly feathering the clutch which is both unnecessary for a beginner.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
That's where I was talking about the throttle roll off. You have to allow the engine to settle after you build up the speed near the top of the RPM you targeted to shift at. The more throttle angle you apply, the more roll off you need to allow to level off the fuel to minimize rev hang.

One thing you can do is after you engage 1st gear, give it more gas as you normally would to accelerate and just hold the pedal steady until the engine reaches the max RPM for that throttle input, and hold an extra second. The engine by then has settled to the max RPM you targeted for that throttle angle so you won't have to roll off the throttle and just continue onto shifting into 2nd gear. Once you get the hang of that, reduce the extra duration you are holding the RPM in 1st. Once you get use to that, then you can drive more dynamically by modulating more throttle as needed and roll off without thinking about it.

I think you are modulating the throttle too much and possibly feathering the clutch which is both unnecessary for a beginner.
Got it. Will try today thanks

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
This thread has made me think a lot about my driving since I don't think about what I'm doing anymore lol. I will say, out of the 4 MT vehicles I've owned over the past 10(?) years this one has the most numb clutch point. I find that makes it a bit more difficult to get perfectly smooth shifts especially from 1->2. I'm not perfect at shifting by any means and I'm well aware of that but I find myself slipping this clutch more than any other I've driven. That being said, keep practicing and you will continue to get better. After 2 years of owning my car, I'm about to go out for a drive and make sure I am doing things properly myself lol.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
This thread has made me think a lot about my driving since I don't think about what I'm doing anymore lol. I will say, out of the 4 MT vehicles I've owned over the past 10(?) years this one has the most numb clutch point. I find that makes it a bit more difficult to get perfectly smooth shifts especially from 1->2. I'm not perfect at shifting by any means and I'm well aware of that but I find myself slipping this clutch more than any other I've driven. That being said, keep practicing and you will continue to get better. After 2 years of owning my car, I'm about to go out for a drive and make sure I am doing things properly myself lol.
Have you killed the CDV? Makes things feel much better in my experience.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Have you killed the CDV? Makes things feel much better in my experience.
I've done the spring delete but I have not gotten rid of the delay valve yet. I know I want to throw on a jb4 in the future so I've just been dealing with it until I just swap out the clutch for something that can hold a bit more torque.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I've done the spring delete but I have not gotten rid of the delay valve yet. I know I want to throw on a jb4 in the future so I've just been dealing with it until I just swap out the clutch for something that can hold a bit more torque.
I'm still on the stock one too. it makes a nice change in feedback. It's a twenty minute, one man job if you do the one way valve.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I'm still on the stock one too. it makes a nice change in feedback. It's a twenty minute, one man job if you do the one way valve.
With everything going on I find myself having a lot more time on my hands so maybe I will do that lol. Which valve did you buy?

PS: sorry OP for the unintentional post hijack but at least this is more constructive than the DSG vs MT war lol

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
With everything going on I find myself having a lot more time on my hands so maybe I will do that lol. Which valve did you buy?

PS: sorry OP for the unintentional post hijack but at least this is more constructive than the DSG vs MT war lol

This guy:
Dorman Help! 12705 Speed Bleedr M8-1.25X27.6 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5C71S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_x9nKEbYBHFR69

and one of these:
Russell 639500 Speed Bleeder Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPARUQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
It wasn't a recommendation, LOL. I'm far from expert. I never got good at heal and toe for instance.

In this day and age, if you don't know heel / toe already, is there really any point in learning it?

Full disclosure, I've never figured out heel / toe.

koalb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 SE, PP, LP
Here's a question that I've never answered definitively:

With the modern 6MT on the GTI, is there a need to double clutch on the downshift anymore for the purposes of rev matching?

Let's say you're downshifting to exit onto an off-ramp.

As I understand it, true double clutching would look something like:

4th gear engaged > Clutch in > shift 4th to neutral > Clutch out > Blip the throttle to raise RPM > Clutch in > Neutral to 3rd > Clutch out > Step on the throttle

What I've actually been doing:

4th gear engaged > Clutch in > Blip the throttle to raise RPM > Shift 4th to 3rd > Clutch out > Step on the throttle

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
Here's a question that I've never answered definitively:

With the modern 6MT on the GTI, is there a need to double clutch on the downshift anymore for the purposes of rev matching?

Let's say you're downshifting to exit onto an off-ramp.

4th gear engaged > Clutch in > shift 4th to neutral > Clutch out > Blip the throttle to raise RPM > Clutch in > Neutral to 3rd > Clutch out > Step on the throttle

4th gear engaged > Clutch in > Blip the throttle to raise RPM > Shift 4th to 3rd > Clutch out > Step on the throttle

Not needed, IMO. I would on a car with weak synchros, and sometimes do it anyway - out of habit - on a 2nd to 1st shift if I find myself crawling too slow to be in second.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Double clutching takes way too long to do in that situation and is not necessary given modern transmissions that are synchronized. What you ARE doing is the correct way in my opinion. Should be done in a heel and toe manner and not lift your foot off the brake though.