GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to drive faster!

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
In this day and age, if you don't know heel / toe already, is there really any point in learning it?

Full disclosure, I've never figured out heel / toe.
I clearly decided no but it had something to do with the pedal placement and height on the sticks I've owned. Not something required considering over 90% of stick drivers don't.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
So I did something stupid today. I always park in neutral and hand brake because it's Illinois. But today I decided to park it in first gear as well.

When I go to start the car I forgot it was in gear and let out the clutch like a dumbass. The car jerk forward a bit. And a loud clunk sound. Luckily I was holding on to the brakes.

Hopefully I don't do this again but it sounded bad for the car. Anything I should inspect for damage?

Thanks

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I've done that plenty of times. I also keep it in neutral when I park. I'm in FL and it's flat af everywhere, it's not gonna roll away. It used to happen to me when someone else drove my car. I'd get in it assuming it'd be in neutral but they left it in 1st gear. It even happened when I was buying my first manual and I nearly rolled it into my moms car. At this point I think it's impossible for me to start a manual without jiggling the stick first.

My worst one was this girl that I was with decided we need to drive away immediately so while I was idling in neutral in a parking spot she grabs the stick and just slammed it into gear. She realized she screwed up pretty quickly when the car went crunch and stalled.

You should be alright, just don't make a habit of it.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
So I did something stupid today. I always park in neutral and hand brake because it's Illinois. But today I decided to park it in first gear as well.

When I go to start the car I forgot it was in gear and let out the clutch like a dumbass. The car jerk forward a bit. And a loud clunk sound. Luckily I was holding on to the brakes.

Hopefully I don't do this again but it sounded bad for the car. Anything I should inspect for damage?

Thanks
I park the same way and this used to happen to me after getting my car serviced every time until I finally remembered to check before starting the car. The only thing damaged each time was my ego as I couldn't believe I did it. If everything sounds and feels as it did before, you should be fine. If you want to prevent this in the future, get in the habit of jiggling the shifter left and right to make sure you are in not in gear.
Clutch in> jiggle > start car has become second nature for me lol

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
I park the same way and this used to happen to me after getting my car serviced every time until I finally remembered to check before starting the car. The only thing damaged each time was my ego as I couldn't believe I did it. If everything sounds and feels as it did before, you should be fine. If you want to prevent this in the future, get in the habit of jiggling the shifter left and right to make sure you are in not in gear.
Clutch in> jiggle > start car has become second nature for me lol
I have been jiggling it for a while now but for some reason I didn't check this time. Must be thinking about tifa from ff7 remake...

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Yep, I've started cars in gear and shut them off but released the clutch before the engine was off many times in the past. No car has ever blown up because of it. Pride hurt, yep. Car hurt, no.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Yep, I've started cars in gear and shut them off but released the clutch before the engine was off many times in the past. No car has ever blown up because of it. Pride hurt, yep. Car hurt, no.
Car feels no difference. I have a great more appreciation for the engineering that went into cars now. Fool proof. Thanks

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
dtran, I am lurking but taking notes-

And will just say- you are not wrong to be frustrated.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
When I tested the 1.4 Sportwagen to see if I could live with that motor plus manual, (not for me) I killed the motor at 1st because if those and the lack of torque. Drove the 1.8 Alltrack stick like I owned it but went with DSG anyway after reading about the clutch and also just the way this stick and clutch feel. Not bad but not great either.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I guess I am just easy to please. I have driven a lot of different MT cars they all have a different feel. Drive a couple times and get used to how it feels adjust the coordination between the left and right foot and done. Yes it feels different the my 2000 Celica with a single mass flywheel and southbend stage 1 clutch but not so much from my 2016 Jeep Renegade which is also dual mass. But I don't think is near as horrible as what I read on here.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I guess I am just easy to please. I have driven a lot of different MT cars they all have a different feel. Drive a couple times and get used to how it feels adjust the coordination between the left and right foot and done. Yes it feels different the my 2000 Celica with a single mass flywheel and southbend stage 1 clutch but not so much from my 2016 Jeep Renegade which is also dual mass. But I don't think is near as horrible as what I read on here.
I agree that it's not as bad as the forum may make it out to be, but it's also supremely easy to make it feel a whole lot better for very little money and time. The basics from the linked thread, clutch stop, spring removal, and cdv removal make it feel so much better. The swirl valve doesn't bother me since it provides the benefit of damping vibrations. Fluid change helps immensely, and of course benefits the brakes too.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
I drive manual Golf, Jettas, GTI's and GLI's everyday, granted most are new or relatively new, they are VERY easy to drive, they are VERY consistent, positive and progressive, VERY easy to modulate.....

I still think OP needs to find a girlfriend who either already knows how to drive a stick, or can pick it up quicker than OP...

I sold a manual Jetta to a girl last week, her mom drove the car home for her and she came by less than a week later and was driving it like a champ...

OP should sell the car and buy a Hyundai with a CVT...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I drive manual Golf, Jettas, GTI's and GLI's everyday, granted most are new or relatively new, they are VERY easy to drive, they are VERY consistent, positive and progressive, VERY easy to modulate.....

I still think OP needs to find a girlfriend who either already knows how to drive a stick, or can pick it up quicker than OP...

I sold a manual Jetta to a girl last week, her mom drove the car home for her and she came by less than a week later and was driving it like a champ...

Give the guy a break. He'll get the hang of it. Maybe his clutch will be a little worse for the wear but he'll catch on. Everybody who has a manual had to be a beginner at some point.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie

Lol. You have too much pride my friend... But thanks for the help.