GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying used 2016 Golf R with possible mechanical issue

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I can't really afford to get a new one at this point so the hard part is finding a reliable used one. I'm also looking for a Golf R DSG which seems much less common than the GTI.

I was not asking you to buy a new one but wanted to let you know how many flying miles I racked by buying vehicles out of state.

This is what I found by spending a couple of minutes in cars.com. There are 6 privately sold MY16/17 Golf R DSGs. Among them, at least a couple looks promising without any mods and based on description from the owner. I’m sure I can find more if I spend time in other sites and forums.

I have personally dealt with Carvana and Carmax and extremely happy with their service. You came here and asked for an opinion and you will see that most people would have recommended against this particular vehicle because of the flags it’s throwing.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Carvana offers extended warranties, but should I need that if the manufacturer's warranty hasn't expired?
The only warranty left is the drivetrain, and that's only if it hasn't been tuned. There shouldn't be any issues with the Haldex on a 2016 with that mileage.

Cylintz

The only warranty left is the drivetrain, and that's only if it hasn't been tuned. There shouldn't be any issues with the Haldex on a 2016 with that mileage.
So if there is an issue then the owner really must have really trashed the car in that time. I'll make sure to cancel the purchase if it has anything to do with that. Thanks for the replies.

Cylintz

I was not asking you to buy a new one but wanted to let you know how many flying miles I racked by buying vehicles out of state.

This is what I found by spending a couple of minutes in cars.com. There are 6 privately sold MY16/17 Golf R DSGs. Among them, at least a couple looks promising without any mods and based on description from the owner. I’m sure I can find more if I spend time in other sites and forums.

I have personally dealt with Carvana and Carmax and extremely happy with their service. You came here and asked for an opinion and you will see that most people would have recommended against this particular vehicle because of the flags it’s throwing.
It definitely won't hurt to keep my eyes open for a good deal outside my area that might be worth the trip. Thanks.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So if there is an issue then the owner really must have really trashed the car in that time. I'll make sure to cancel the purchase if it has anything to do with that. Thanks for the replies.
Carvana was too vague. FYI, the Haldex engages whenever you take off briskly and when you decelerate in DSG S-mode. I have similar mileage, and when my fluid was changed at about 15,000 miles it looked like the new fluid. There are so far no mechanical recalls or service actions on 2016 R's. Perhaps if it's automatic and the owner used the launch control all of the time or it was tuned it could explain a Haldex issue, if it has one. The problem with non-VW dealer purchases of a turbo car is the car could have been flash tuned and they wouldn't know it. If you need drivetrain warranty work you'll be SOL. Check for factory required maintenance. It should include a Haldex oil and brake fluid change as well as engine oil changes. If it's 4-years old it should have had a DSG oil and filter change. Ask Carvana for a printout of any VW dealer service.

jits

I'm curious to hear what Carvana tells you about the issue and the repair they will perform. Hope it works out for you. Before buying my R, I was about to purchase an F80 M3 at Carmax, and when I test drove it, there were a few nagging electronic issues that came to light, and I also noticed scrapes on the front bumper. Those were enough reasons for me to walk away.

Cylintz

You guys are convincing me that maybe I should just suck it up and finance a new one. How do I know you're not all VW salesman? ;)

Cylintz

So while I've been waiting for Carvana to call me back I had time to play detective.

I found a forum ID for the previous owner and their list of mods in 2016... lol

Niche Misano Wheels
Winter wheels and tires
CTS BOV
Airlift 3P Kit
OBDeleven
USP Downpipe
Maxton front lip
Maxpider Mats

Their last post on that forum was in August 2018:

"Just tuned my 2016 Golf R Monday night and have a few comments/questions. Stage 2 ECU and stage 2 TCU. In D mode it seems to be holding 5th gear up to around 45 mph even if I'm just cruising...is... "

Based on the Carfax, November 2019 was the first time they ever took it to the dealer so something probably went bad enough that they couldn't/wouldn't fix themselves. Warranty is clearly donzo so they just got rid of it. At this point I do kind of want to see it and take it for a test drive since we don't have any R's nearby. I'll probably end up just going with a new R after all this. I feel like the risk of getting someone's leftover science project is too high with these cars.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So while I've been waiting for Carvana to call me back I had time to play detective.

I found a forum ID for the previous owner and their list of mods in 2016... lol

Niche Misano Wheels
Winter wheels and tires
CTS BOV
Airlift 3P Kit
OBDeleven
USP Downpipe
Maxton front lip
Maxpider Mats

Their last post on that forum was in August 2018:

"Just tuned my 2016 Golf R Monday night and have a few comments/questions. Stage 2 ECU and stage 2 TCU. In D mode it seems to be holding 5th gear up to around 45 mph even if I'm just cruising...is... "

Based on the Carfax, November 2019 was the first time they ever took it to the dealer so something probably went bad enough that they couldn't/wouldn't fix themselves. Warranty is clearly donzo so they just got rid of it. At this point I do kind of want to see it and take it for a test drive since we don't have any R's nearby. I'll probably end up just going with a new R after all this. I feel like the risk of getting someone's leftover science project is too high with these cars.
I thought you couldn't test drive any Carvana vehicle. You're better off making the trip to a dealer to test drive one. You want to see what a stock one feels like. Hope one's not too far, because you'll need them for warranty work or maintenance. Check out how much prepaid maintenance plans are, if they offer them in Canada. I'm getting what I think is a good deal on the 4/5 year plan for my car.