GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to Switch From Unitronic

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Hello everyone, just want to get some extra feedback on a decision I’ve been pondering. Right now my car stands with the following modifications:
Unitronic stage 2 ECU/TCU
IE intake
APR TIP
GFB DV+
IE TMD
Unitronic catted DP
AWE track exhaust

I know Unitronic was always considered the OEM+/mild tune, but after driving it for some time, I now know what that means. I have a Unitronic Intercooler that I will be installing once the winter months end and was thinking about getting an Accessport and Stratified Protune. I plan on keeping the TCU tune althoughI drive the car in manual mode solely. With the new intercooler and the Stratified Tune, will I notice a difference. I know this is the game changer but I will be doing IS38 sooner or later. I don’t necessarily mind losing the $700 or so spent on the Unitronic Tune, just wanted to hear from others who have switched. I’m just so use to the car now that I feel let down at times. Please ease my mind and tell me the Protune will be a difference.

Adam

IIRC the Uni Tcu tune doesn’t increase clamping pressure. That’ll probably be an issue down the road if you switch to eqt and especially a different turbo. Just another thing to consider.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
IIRC the Uni Tcu tune doesn’t increase clamping pressure. That’ll probably be an issue down the road if you switch to eqt and especially a different turbo. Just another thing to consider.
True. Back then I logged 11bar of pressure in 3rd / 4th gear which is basically stock

tigeo

Autocross Champion
True. Back then I logged 11bar of pressure in 3rd / 4th gear which is basically stock
From Uni's site on their Stage 2 TCU tune:
"Increased Clutch Clamping Pressure
Unitronic's Stage 2 TCU Performance Software calibrations increase clutch clamping pressure and has been developed in conjunction with and alongside Unitronic's Stage 2 ECU Performance Software, supporting the increase in engine torque output and ensuring that the clutches properly grip allowing for the higher output to be sustained."

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
From Uni's site on their Stage 2 TCU tune:
"Increased Clutch Clamping Pressure
Unitronic's Stage 2 TCU Performance Software calibrations increase clutch clamping pressure and has been developed in conjunction with and alongside Unitronic's Stage 2 ECU Performance Software, supporting the increase in engine torque output and ensuring that the clutches properly grip allowing for the higher output to be sustained."
Every company that offers a TCU tune mentions this. The question remains, how much is it really increasing the clamping pressure? In Unitronic’s case not much if any at all...

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Every company that offers a TCU tune mentions this. The question remains, how much is it really increasing the clamping pressure? In Unitronic’s case not much if any at all...

There was a HUGE debate on mk6 about this very topic. It was claimed that clamping pressure really cannot be changed. This, of course was on a much older model, I’m not sure myself what the argument was on each side.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
There was a HUGE debate on mk6 about this very topic. It was claimed that clamping pressure really cannot be changed. This, of course was on a much older model, I’m not sure myself what the argument was on each side.
On this platform it can be changed. I’ve logged my current TCU tune numerous times. I can assure you there is much more clamping pressure than stock.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Is there a way to measure it? Or does it tell you holding power or anything?
Yes you can log it. You can see the clamping pressure (in bar). I’m seeing an average of 13bar. As mentioned, stock is somewhere in 10-11bar range.

I logged it with Eurodyne.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Yes you can log it. You can see the clamping pressure (in bar). I’m seeing an average of 13bar. As mentioned, stock is somewhere in 10-11bar range.

I logged it with Eurodyne.
Oh ok, at least it’s something we know that it can be adjusted AND seen instead of some just saying it, and we buy it... assuming it’s not a sales pitch

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Oh ok, at least it’s something we know that it can be adjusted AND seen instead of some just saying it, and we buy it... assuming it’s not a sales pitch
This must be what you log using OBDEleven for clamping pressure.
20200221_104542.jpg

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Good to know. So as of now it looks like every tcu tune allegedly changes clamping pressure at the minimum.
Yes they should. Again, all this depends on the reported TQ from the ECU