GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cliff's Grey Hare

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I don't like how the RacingLing catch can requires the removal of the engine mount bolt to remove it for draining since this is technically a single use bolt. I picked up a ½" spacer (½" long and ¼" inner diameter) and some M6 nuts and have one mounting point on the can attaching to the M6 stud on the end of the engine mount bolt, and used the spacer to let the other mounting point attach correctly to the motor mount. Home Depot only had nylon spacers in a size that would work and I have heat concerns about those, but Amazon has some aluminum ones that I have ordered and will swap in before my next track event.

It's on the fiddly side for something I have to remove and empty after every track event, but it beats burning through single use bolts at $5.50 per.

Attachments

• 2019-11-10 12.05.25.jpg
    2019-11-10 12.05.25.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 253

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Cliff, how much more room do you have in the Ohlins to go lower? Theres no real info out there on it & the guys @ Griffen weren't sure either.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I don't like how the RacingLing catch can requires the removal of the engine mount bolt to remove it for draining since this is technically a single use bolt. I picked up a ½" spacer (½" long and ¼" inner diameter) and some M6 nuts and have one mounting point on the can attaching to the M6 stud on the end of the engine mount bolt, and used the spacer to let the other mounting point attach correctly to the motor mount. Home Depot only had nylon spacers in a size that would work and I have heat concerns about those, but Amazon has some aluminum ones that I have ordered and will swap in before my next track event.

It's on the fiddly side for something I have to remove and empty after every track event, but it beats burning through single use bolts at $5.50 per.

id recommend leaving it bolted down with the “one time use bolt” (with a new bolt of course) but replacing the drain plug on it with a fumoto drain valve. Myself and Teemy have done this. I can still drain it with a small tube without removing anything, even with oil cooler lines routed in that area.

edit: found a pic. It fits without spacers
1575087867370.jpeg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Get a ADD W1 catch can. It just unscrews for easy emptying. I have the Spulen PCV delete OCC but I use the ADD W1 can because of how easy it is to empty

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Cliff, thanks for posting your alignment specs. I’ll be using them as a baseline after my suspension upgrade.
If it helps, I run a pretty similar setup to cliff in my PP GTI, but I run about -2.3 front camber and .03* toe in rear (.06* total). With this little toe in in rear, the car rotates incredibly well, but then again I like my rear end pretty loose. When I run in the wet, I run closer to Cliff's toe. I wouldn't recommend this toe setting for the average joe, but with some experience with trail braking you'd be fine. High speed braking (125mph+) is still fine, as is stability.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Do both your RSE11 and RSE10 wheels fit without spacers with the BBK and 265's?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I do not run spacers - no clearance issues.

Awesome, thanks. Then should clear my Brembo 4 pots. I'm looking at the RSE11's and RS4's in 255. I'll have to run 10mm spacers with my 18" Pretorias. I'm 20mm lower than stock GTI, so might need to roll or make some room. I'd honestly be fine with 245's if I need to.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Awesome, thanks. Then should clear my Brembo 4 pots. I'm looking at the RSE11's and RS4's in 255. I'll have to run 10mm spacers with my 18" Pretorias. I'm 20mm lower than stock GTI, so might need to roll or make some room. I'd honestly be fine with 245's if I need to.

I have no idea what will fit on your car when you're pushing the fitment boundaries. The R body shell is different from the GTI as the R shares its shell with the e-Golf with a raised rear subfloor to make room for either batteries or a rear diff. I'd look at Mini7's (very long) build thread for GTI info: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-gti-pp-at-vir.351754/

Reactions: q74

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Now that I have the right harnesses in the car I can use a frontal head restraint. I opted for Schroth's new Flex device as it has an angle appropriate to street cars, is supposed to be fairly comfortable, is SFI certified, and with Winding Road's 15% Black Friday discount the price was right. It will get its first outing later this month at Thunderhill.

The other choice would have been Simpson's Hybrid S. The Simpson FHR works with factory 3-point belts, which would be an important feature if I was instructing more broadly than I am. The Simpson FHR uses a structure that straps around the driver's torso to provide support for the restraints. Its downsides are its price and relative discomfort. I have a 20% off coupon through my certification with the Motorsport Safety Foundation which would have brought the price down from $1100 to roughly $900, but the Schroth was $425 with the discount.

I also picked up a Sparco Cosmos helmet bag that will hold both my helmet and FHR. It also has a USB-powered fan to help dispel some of that hot day helmet funk.

FHR and bag-1010003-20200101.jpg

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS

Did you cage your car or are you using one of those hybrid belts that buckles into the rear seats?

I am using Schroth QuickFit Pro harnesses (product link: link). They connect to the front and rear factory seatbelt connectors and integrate with the factory safety systems. They are the best option for someone who is not going to remove the factory safety systems and replace them with a cage, race seat, 6-point harnesses, etc. This car is going to remain fundamentally a street car and a cage would compromise that use significantly, so I won't be going that route.

Happy new year to you, too.