GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch fluid replacement for 30,000 mi service

allthatiszen

Hey folks,

Newbie here looking for some input from others. I have a 2016 GTI 6-speed manual with 38k miles (purchased with 24k miles in March of 2018) that still has another year of Certified Pre-Owned left on it as of today.

I took it to the dealership on Black Friday to have new front brake pads/rotors and 4 brand new tires. I picked it up at the end of the day, and when I drove it later on that night (after the dealership was closed), any acceleration past halfway on the gas pedal, the RPMs would fly up but my speed didn't (slipping out of gear). This NEVER happened before.

Emailed the dealership (closed for the weekend) and told someone to contact me ASAP, which they did the following Monday. The soonest they could get me in (somehow) was yesterday, 12/10/2019. At the end of the day, I was contacted and told that my clutch was failing and needed to be replaced.

In March of 2019 (this year), I had it in for a coolant issue (cracked thermostat housing and water pump replacement) as well as for my 30k mi service. The coolant issue was covered under CPO warranty. According to VW, 30k mi service includes replacing the clutch fluid at 30k mi or 3 years (whichever comes first) and then every 2 years after that. My paperwork doesn't list that as being done at all.

I asked the dealership if they could see that clutch fluid was replaced. The service woman stated that, because the dealership underwent management change in October of this year, that their documentation was a bit different than the previous ownership, but that she saw nothing regarding the clutch. This task is not documented and I have the paperwork that doesn't mention anything about the clutch at all.

I was quoted by the dealership $1,500 just to take the clutch out and inspect it to see if it is a manufacturer issue or due to my "driving style." If it ends up NOT being a manufacturer defect, then the total cost for clutch and flywheel replacement is $3,400.

Jaw hit the floor, contacted VW Customer Care immediately and explained the situation, and a case was opened. The case manager contacted me today and basically explained the same cost and said nothing could be determined until the clutch was out of the vehicle and I would be responsible for all charges if the dealership deems that it wasn't a manufacturer's issue with the part and they won't know until the clutch is out of the car. I told her that she must have missed my main grievance, which is that I requested and paid for 30k mi service and there is no record of clutch fluid being replaced, and now suddenly I have a failed clutch 9 months later. Not to mention I've been driving manual vehicles for 20 years and never had to replace a clutch, nor do I believe any clutch should fail at 38k miles. She said she'd have to call me back tomorrow after she requests that info from the dealership and told me not to tell the dealership to do anything yet.

So if you're still with me here, what are your thoughts? If the dealership missed the fluid replacement at 30k mi service, and the part fails, why would I still be held liable for failure to that part? Also, $3,400 for a clutch/flywheel replacement seems double the amount it should be. Especially if they're going to put the same crappy OEM clutch back into the vehicle. And with that said, should I just tell them I want my car back, order an aftermarket clutch and have an indie put it in, essentially voiding my CPO warranty? Or do I take the gamble and have VW remove the clutch? I mean, if they take it out, I'm going to have to pay them to put a new one in. At that point, do I just pay the money and then sell the vehicle since I've already had a major cooling system issue and clutch failure? Who knows what's in store for me!

Seems to me that all signs point to VW being responsible for this if the maintenance was missed BEFORE that clutch is removed from the car. I get that a clutch is considered wear and tear, but so are brake calipers and if maintenance says they need to replace the hoses at a certain interval and they fail to do so and the calipers fail, shouldn't they be held responsible regardless of my braking style?

Anyhow, any advice on next steps, similar experiences, predictions on my odds of winning this thing, or random comments to make me feel better are appreciated. FYI, this ain't my first VW. Had a B5 Passat, MK4 Jetta VR6, MK4 GTI, and now MK7 GTI. Each had their own problems here and there, but nothing some knuckle scrapes and DIYs couldn't solve. Also, all were manual and never had a clutch issue. My MK4 GTI had 201k miles before I said goodbye last year and never had clutch replacement.

Thanks and hello to all who read this book!

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
You state that the transmission was "slipping out of gear", was the shifter actually coming out of the gear it was in or was the transmission fully engaged and then upon accelerating the engine RPM would increase but not the speed? This happened no matter what gear you were in? Were you on level ground? Did it seem to shift normally otherwise? If you need anew clutch I would investigate the aftermarket for the best for your type of driving and look to a quality independent VW shop to do the install and make sure there is a warranty for the install. I try to do clutch and brake fluid changes at a maximum every 2 years and probably do it more often. I don't think that missing a fluid change would cause the clutch to fail, maybe the clutch slave cylinder or the master cylinder but not the clutch.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Weak clutch on these cars and sounds like yours have up the ghost. Usually considered a wear and tear item and probably won't be covered by warranty.

If its any consolation, I've got several sites open in another tab to purchase a clutch, flywheel etc myself because mine just started slipping today at 50k miles. But, I was stage 1 for 10k and went stage 2 a month ago. So at least I knew it was coming. Still painful though.

We can hug and cry together.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Maybe a long shot, but since you said they replaced the brakes, did they replace the brake fluid as well? Maybe they accidentally got some air or something in the clutch line (since it's the same reservoir)? I would try bleeding the clutch first before trying anything else to see if that makes a difference.

allthatiszen

The shifter would stay in place, but I could be in 6th gear going 50 mph and just start pushing on the accelerator and my rpms shoot up and the indicator that says which gear I'm in just goes black. I have to lay off of the accelerator to have it go back into gear. Sometimes it comes back like I'm in another gear and I have to shift out of it to have it display the correct gear I'm in.

I have zero mods done to the car. It's totally stock. Most of the info I've found says that the clutches are weak and if you mod then you have to get something to support that. Sadly, I don't even have any extras to make me feel better about having to replace the clutch for!

That's useful info Raguvian! I can always ask them about that. Make a suggestion. See if that does the trick.

Still though... $3,500 for replacement seems unreal to me if it comes to that. How can it possibly be that much money?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
VW clutches are stupid expensive so the cost from a dealer is not shocking. You're honestly SOL, better off finding an indy shop and having them do the clutch.

Navi

Autocross Champion
what is replace clutch fluid? If any dealer told me that, I would walk the fuck out. What they mean is a brake fluid flush which is the same fluid as the clutch fluid. Either way this would not cause a clutch to fail. Second, them telling you $1500 to remove and inspect if it's manufacturer defect or driving style basically means you're on the hook for the $1500 plus the additional parts and labor for a new clutch. At 30k miles, they are def not going to say manufacturer defect. Maybe if it was 300 or 3000 miles. Their price of $3400 is high. Go to an independent shop. You need a new clutch. Parts and labor for a clutch install shouldn't be more than $2000 and I consider that to be on the high side.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You answered all of your own questions unfortunately.

Going WOT in 6th gear at 50mph is going to cause slipping regardless of mods. At 50 you should be in 3rd gear tops before going wot. You never hurt previous cars doing this because they didn’t make the bottom end torque the mk7 can.

Forget the dealership, you’re not going to get it covered or pass the blame due to missing a brake fluid service you paid for. Find a competent Indy shop to install an aftermarket clutch and enjoy (break it in properly though).

It’s an expensive lesson to learn, but not $3400 worth. You’ll be looking at $800-$1500 for parts and $500-1000 for labor depending on who you go with. Also, your warranty isn’t “out the window” if you don’t pay the dealership to change the clutch. Your remaining warranty is still intact on everything else, just not the new aftermarket clutch (which they’re not covering the current one anyway so who cares).

This was written without any sugar coating, so don’t feel bad I’m just being to the point. This information is readily available in dozens of threads around this forum if you search.

allthatiszen

Thanks for all of the input, folks!

Honestly, I just want VW to pay for something that they obviously didn't account for (or don't care at all about) in their design the past few generations of GTIs. I'm also unwilling to pay $1,500 to find out. I seriously don't go full throttle in 6th gear. That was just an example of a video I shot on my phone to show them.

I do believe I'll be calling my local indie shop tomorrow to see what kind of price they would give me but I guess I'll have to research some reliable aftermarket parts. I agree that hearing "clutch fluid" made my brain explode, but if they would list it as something that needs to be done, and it doesn't get marked as something that was done, then to their standards, they skipped a step. Honestly, I find the entire thing exhausting and not having my car for almost two weeks out of this year (and only 38k miles on the damn thing!) has gotten pretty inconvenient.

As for the warranty, I just feel like the second I put something aftermarket in, anything else that may go wrong with anything else within a 5 inch range of the clutch is going to get blamed on the work that the indie shop did. So if I do go that route, I will consider that kissing my warranty goodbye.

And don't worry, Jake. I'm not one for sugar coating either. Wastes time.

I will admit that after 15 years of VW ownership, I'm starting to wonder if the Ford Fusion ST's have equally as bad clutch problems as the last few generations of GTIs... I might consider checking that out. Such a shame.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Thanks for all of the input, folks!

Honestly, I just want VW to pay for something that they obviously didn't account for (or don't care at all about) in their design the past few generations of GTIs. I'm also unwilling to pay $1,500 to find out. I seriously don't go full throttle in 6th gear. That was just an example of a video I shot on my phone to show them.

I do believe I'll be calling my local indie shop tomorrow to see what kind of price they would give me but I guess I'll have to research some reliable aftermarket parts. I agree that hearing "clutch fluid" made my brain explode, but if they would list it as something that needs to be done, and it doesn't get marked as something that was done, then to their standards, they skipped a step. Honestly, I find the entire thing exhausting and not having my car for almost two weeks out of this year (and only 38k miles on the damn thing!) has gotten pretty inconvenient.

As for the warranty, I just feel like the second I put something aftermarket in, anything else that may go wrong with anything else within a 5 inch range of the clutch is going to get blamed on the work that the indie shop did. So if I do go that route, I will consider that kissing my warranty goodbye.

And don't worry, Jake. I'm not one for sugar coating either. Wastes time.

I will admit that after 15 years of VW ownership, I'm starting to wonder if the Ford Fusion ST's have equally as bad clutch problems as the last few generations of GTIs... I might consider checking that out. Such a shame.
Im a little lost in your story, right after you left the dealer for 30k service the clutch was slipping or at 9months later the clutch was slipping? If it was the day u got the car back then ya its their fault but 9 months later theres no way you will win. As others said, paying 1500 to find something out is straight bs. Buy a stage 3 sb or dkm clutch if u plan to mod, all in all it will cost around 22-2400 which is better than paying 1500 to find out then 1600+ for a new shit clutch and labor, better to have a solid clutch. Also, PSA, if anyone is going wot in these cars in 6th gear starting at 50mph your going to nuke your clutch. Start wot at least at 3rd gear going 3krpm or anytime wot at least above 3k rpm to be safe

allthatiszen

Im a little lost in your story, right after you left the dealer for 30k service the clutch was slipping or at 9months later the clutch was slipping? If it was the day u got the car back then ya its their fault but 9 months later theres no way you will win. As others said, paying 1500 to find something out is straight bs. Buy a stage 3 sb or dkm clutch if u plan to mod, all in all it will cost around 22-2400 which is better than paying 1500 to find out then 1600+ for a new shit clutch and labor, better to have a solid clutch. Also, PSA, if anyone is going wot in these cars in 6th gear starting at 50mph your going to nuke your clutch. Start wot at least at 3rd gear going 3krpm or anytime wot at least above 3k rpm to be safe
I had zero issues with the car at all. Took it in the morning of Black Friday for new tires, brake pads and rotors, picked it up in the evening. Took it for a drive to a friends house that night and that’s when I had the problem for the first time ever.

JD-1

Ready to race!
I have 36k miles on my car and have not touched my clutch fluid. No slipping besides punching it in 2nd gear. My car is apr plus tuned. Sounds like your clutch is just worn out.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You say the gear indicator in the dash goes blank & that you have to go out of 6th & then re-select but it feels that you hit another gear??….I'd say the gearshift needs re alignment...

xxxxxx

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Car
Dashboard gear indicator has nothing to do with the linkage, just the engine rpm and wheel speeds. That’s why it gets confused when your clutch slips, and engine rpm goes up without wheel speed increasing. This is textbook clutch slippage. Even if they had got air in the line while doing your brakes that would make the clutch difficult to DISengage, not slip. Maybe they had a tech bring the car around that couldn’t drive stick and he wiped it out? Maybe it’s just bad luck and timing. Either way you’re replacing your clutch.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dashboard gear indicator has nothing to do with the linkage, just the engine rpm and wheel speeds. That’s why it gets confused when your clutch slips, and engine rpm goes up without wheel speed increasing.

DOH..!!..I was misthinking the reverse switch light as a gearchange indicator...idiot!!.....

therefore I agree...the clutch was finally totalled by monkey mechanic...