GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I was scammed!

kungfudill

Ready to race!
Why do people keep making this mistake? There's been several threads warning people to only pay through PayPal.

Because it was a mistake. As I readily admitted. Also, I’ve not read every thread ever posted. Lesson learned, and I didn’t deposit more than I was willing to lose.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Because it was a mistake. As I readily admitted. Also, I’ve not read every thread ever posted. Lesson learned, and I didn’t deposit more than I was willing to lose.

Maybe a moderator could check that guy's account from when he started in the forum to see if there's anything he listed that could identity his real location. Doubtful but worth a shot.

kungfudill

Ready to race!
Maybe a moderator could check that guy's account from when he started in the forum to see if there's anything he listed that could identity his real location. Doubtful but worth a shot.

Yeah, that would be nice, but I too am doubtful there will be any meaningful "trail". Just wanted to spread my story, so others learn too!

Oh- and the "seller" just contacted me again. Says he's sorry wheels haven't shipped... He had an emergency. If I send another $100, he'll ship them tomorrow. haha. wow.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Yeah, that would be nice, but I too am doubtful there will be any meaningful "trail". Just wanted to spread my story, so others learn too!

Oh- and the "seller" just contacted me again. Says he's sorry wheels haven't shipped... He had an emergency. If I send another $100, he'll ship them tomorrow. haha. wow.

What’s his justification for the extra $100?

MD11

Sorry this has happened to you and sorry we have to deal with dishonest folks.
I won’t beat a dead horse but I’m thinking everything about this person’s login info is bogus so tracking him/them is probably futile. Lesson learned and hopefully you’ve helped the next victim avoid this person.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
They can just pull up the IP posted from. So long as he didn't do everything on his phone, it'll narrow it down.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Did he contact you with email again?

cb1111

Ask him for his physical address and name as well as his employer's name and address.

One can verify that pretty quickly to see if the guy is even close to what he says he is. There is probably a local member here who would be happy to drive by and pick up the wheels.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ask him for his physical address and name as well as his employer's name and address.

One can verify that pretty quickly to see if the guy is even close to what he says he is. There is probably a local member here who would be happy to drive by and pick up the wheels.

Do you seriously think he's going to provide that information?

Namakan

Back in October of 2018 I posted a WTB set of wheels. I was Private Messaged by S14life to contact a friend of his and he gave me an email for him as well. I did email the person and he sent me a few pictures of filthy wheels. The whole thing seemed strange so I did not pursue further.

I still have the messages in my inbox if the moderators want them.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Google his screen name and you’ll see he has pulled this scam on other forums. They also provide a phone number in one of the threads (BMW). If you google that number you find more threads of this scam on even more forums.

He’s left quite the trail, wonder if anyone’s local law enforcers or interweb vigilante want to go after him.

Btw, one of his IPs is a known Nigerian problem.

cb1111

Do you seriously think he's going to provide that information?
Of course not, but you can yank his chain. Tell him to refund the amount you sent him and then you'll send him a check to cover the full amount plus express mail charges for the wheels.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Of course not, but you can yank his chain. Tell him to refund the amount you sent him and then you'll send him a check to cover the full amount plus express mail charges for the wheels.

Honestly think that he would just laugh at that. I suppose anything's worth a try though.