GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire pressure monitor on the gti's how does it work ?

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
So got the light come on last night that my tire pressures are low. Didn't indicate which tire it was, just that the light was on.

No big deal, i was half expecting this to happen as i knew i had a piece of &#%^# metal stuck in my rear passenger tire, in a location that a repair isn't possible. So anyway, i have two new tires I bought last night en route to me already.

However this morning, when i turned on the ignition to move the car in a better position so that i could get air into that rear passenger (cos i butt her up close to the wall in my garage) it said. FRONT LEFT TIRE PRESSURE WARNING. I was WTF ??? Why is it saying that tire? I thought to myself i better not have a nail in that one too... so i checked all four. all of which had good pressure, even the one with a little metal sticking out (which i know is leaking cos i bubble tested it last weekend) but banged the metal back in to seal it. Which seems to of worked pretty well, as all four were more or less exact, minus a small amount from the expected tire.

So i just made sure all had the exact pressure and reset the tire pressure setting in the MFD, and the light and error went out.

But it does beg the question. Why was that light on in the first place if all pressures were good ? Why that tire ? and how did it know that tire? I know an old VW i had showed each corner's pressure, as does some rentals i get in, but didn't know the Gti had the ability to monitor each tire individually.

So how do these work on the gti? i'm wondering if i need to take it to VW and have them check out the sensors.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
On my 2019 Rabbit the tpms does not monitor a tire individually.If one is low it will not tell me which one.It's says tire pressure low and that's it.Look in your manual for the correct operation.If it is doing something else then I would have it checked at the dealer.I never keep 39 psi on new tires.I drop it to 36 psi and the warning will come up tire pressure low.I then reset to the new pressure and I'm good to go.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
when you reset it (on MIB panel) you need to go for a ride. It averages out revs over time and counts via speed sensor as already mentioned.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I'll say this about our pressure monitoring system... It won't always go off and I had a potentially dangerous situation arise from it. My wife was driving my car and we were riding on 8psi on the driver rear. As I passenger I couldn't feel anything out of place. She didn't as a driver either (I guess a testament to how well the Conti ECS handled it), and no alert ever went off.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
It is ABS-based, as when it is set, it is based on a specific wheel speed based on the ABS wheel speed sensor. Once the actual wheel speed cross a specific difference threshold, it will trip the warning. I can't recall if the ABS is a 3-channel or 4-channel system.

Low sidewall height tires, you tend not to feel a difference in handling (ie 225/45r17 or 225/40r18), compared to a taller sidewall height tire (ie 195/65r15)

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I'll say this about our pressure monitoring system... It won't always go off and I had a potentially dangerous situation arise from it. My wife was driving my car and we were riding on 8psi on the driver rear. As I passenger I couldn't feel anything out of place. She didn't as a driver either (I guess a testament to how well the Conti ECS handled it), and no alert ever went off.
Sounds like someone reset it when the tire was already low.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
As stated above, If a tire is low it’s circumference is smaller which makes it spin faster than the other wheels.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
ok so there's no TPMS on the Gti, so what could of possibly tripped the light when the pressures were all good ?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
do a reset, go for a ride.....if it comes back I would check/clean wheel speed sensor and ring.

did you go for ride after 1st reset?

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
On my 2019 Rabbit the tpms does not monitor a tire individually.If one is low it will not tell me which one.It's says tire pressure low and that's it.Look in your manual for the correct operation.If it is doing something else then I would have it checked at the dealer.I never keep 39 psi on new tires.I drop it to 36 psi and the warning will come up tire pressure low.I then reset to the new pressure and I'm good to go.

Wow they cheaped out on that too? My'16 S tells me which tire is low.