GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R tuning options w/ convenient switching

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Having previously had 2 MkV GTI's with fully loaded APR stage 1 tunes (program switching via cruise control buttons), I'm starting to investigate what options are available for tuning my Golf R that I've had for about 6 months.

I may very well decide to play it safe regarding the warranty and try the JB4. But I also might just flash it. Here are my main deciding factors:

1. Convenient program switching (like I had on my MkV's) is pretty high on my list because 93 octane is readily available by me but I also take trips to places where they only sell 91 -- and every few years I roll past one of those 87-only stations with nothing else in range.

By "convenient" I mean something I can reasonably do at a gas station. APR's EMCS was fantastic but it's not available for this car. A dongle or dongle+phone situation would be great. A dongle+laptop situation would be decent. And it can't take forever to flash. You get the point.

2. Since I plan to keep the hardware 100% stock, I'd like to stick with an off-the-shelf tune that has a large customer base, to hedge against freak issues. This makes the JB4 map 6 tweaking not really my cup of tea unless there's a go-to configuration that lots of people run.

3. I like the idea of also doing the TCU. I've been doing the tiptronic thing 90% of the time for many years since I like my shift points somewhere between D and S, and it would be cool if D was closer to that experience. Plus if I go with an ECU tune that has a high torque option when paired with a TCU tune, I can take advantage of that. But stage 1 only.

With these particular priorities in mind, let the games begin!

MDLBC

Ready to race!
Eurodyne and Unitronic both have a flash at home option with a proprietary cable but not “on the fly”. Unitronic’s allegedly adapts to changes in octane but call them first. Cobb is probably the closest to “on the fly”.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
How is the GIAC flashloader more convenient than an AccessPort with an actual GUI? Not to mention all the other scanning and diag tools it provides, and custom tunes that can be loaded, and the resale value? I guess that's value, not convenience.

If I could do it all over again (3 years later, once the platform developed) I would have bought a JB4 day one and run around with that until I got bored/serious and bought an AP for custom tunes, DSG tunes, etc. Now that Cobb will have MPI support, and DSG tunes seem to be holding their own, for most people wanting to max their IS20/38 or run a hybrid up to around 600hp it's a one stop shop.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
How is the GIAC flashloader more convenient than an AccessPort with an actual GUI? Not to mention all the other scanning and diag tools it provides, and custom tunes that can be loaded, and the resale value? I guess that's value, not convenience.

If I could do it all over again (3 years later, once the platform developed) I would have bought a JB4 day one and run around with that until I got bored/serious and bought an AP for custom tunes, DSG tunes, etc. Now that Cobb will have MPI support, and DSG tunes seem to be holding their own, for most people wanting to max their IS20/38 or run a hybrid up to around 600hp it's a one stop shop.

Just plug it in and push a dedicated button.

For what it's worth Im currently using Cobb on my car. Cobb is very convenient for sure and way more feature rich and powerful than GAIC but in terms of convenience just to switch between two OTS maps, my opinion is GAIC is quicker and easier.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This... You can store multiple map 6s on your phone and recall them if you want tuned maps for various octanes. You can do this..

1. Have a 87 octane Map 6 which runs lower than ECU boost.
2. Run Map 0 for ECU boost for 91
3. Run a 93 octane Map 6 which runs more than ECU boost.
4. Make an Ethanol map to send it...

Map switching on the JB4 is super fast.

Really hard to beat this:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52995

You'll need to purchase the JB4 app for your phone also.

Or this, but you need the BT kit and the app:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52931

JB4. Don't need to tweak anything. Put on map1 and rip around. No warranty issue to be worried about either as you can take it off for service if needed.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
This... You can store multiple map 6s on your phone and recall them if you want tuned maps for various octanes. You can do this..

1. Have a 87 octane Map 6 which runs lower than ECU boost.
2. Run Map 0 for ECU boost for 91
3. Run a 93 octane Map 6 which runs more than ECU boost.
4. Make an Ethanol map to send it...

Map switching on the JB4 is super fast.

Really hard to beat this:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52995

You'll need to purchase the JB4 app for your phone also.

Or this, but you need the BT kit and the app:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52931

Or just adjust the boost safety.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Just plug it in and push a dedicated button.

For what it's worth Im currently using Cobb on my car. Cobb is very convenient for sure and way more feature rich and powerful than GAIC but in terms of convenience just to switch between two OTS maps, my opinion is GAIC is quicker and easier.

I figured that is how it worked with GIAC, and that does seem very convenient IF you're okay with being locked to GIAC created tunes. I couldn't get the GIAC site to work for the user guide but I think I get it.

I've only ever used the GIAC handheld flasher to swap between normal and race, and that was simple, but the tunes had to be flash loaded at a dealer to your ECU at that point. They definitely have improved in that way.

For flexibility down the road, and even being able to sell of your tune if you switch platforms way later, Cobb still gets my vote if you're going to buy one thing and warranty isn't a concern. If it is, JB4.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I figured that is how it worked with GIAC, and that does seem very convenient IF you're okay with being locked to GIAC created tunes. I couldn't get the GIAC site to work for the user guide but I think I get it.

I've only ever used the GIAC handheld flasher to swap between normal and race, and that was simple, but the tunes had to be flash loaded at a dealer to your ECU at that point. They definitely have improved in that way.

For flexibility down the road, and even being able to sell of your tune if you switch platforms way later, Cobb still gets my vote if you're going to buy one thing and warranty isn't a concern. If it is, JB4.

Agree on all counts...just trying to answer the OP question not debate which platform is the best and why.

https://www.urotuning.com/products/giac-handheld-flashloader-switching-device?variant=8385113686071&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwov3nBRDFARIsANgsdoGUNPBgmY7p15PNt4Wy4iRKnrR4heyBqQMtKMklIzUYLPiPurpypXAaAnHgEALw_wcB

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Map 1 or 2 won't help him with the possible 87 octane requirement. I guess he could also just use Map 4 when he's forced to put 87 octane in the tank. All these map changes can happen when the car is rolling on the road! I don't think any flash based tune available for the MK7 can touch that.

Used with Map 1 or 2.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Map 1 or 2 won't help him with the possible 87 octane requirement. I guess he could also just use Map 4 when he's forced to put 87 octane in the tank. All these map changes can happen when the car is rolling on the road! I don't think any flash based tune available for the MK7 can touch that.

I would use map1 for 87, map2 for 91, and map6 for 93.

BTW. I'm currently running a JB1 on map1 with a boost safety of 3psi on my Atlas 2.0T running 87;)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT