GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone changed their oil without the car up?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Pic of the old stuff (obviously)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I just finished doing it too, my first own oil change and it took me about 45 minutes all together. Didn't seem like it got all of the oil out completely but should be at least 99%. Hard to tell how much is in the extractor because its 9.5L

If anything I'm worried I poured in too much oil because it was practically the entire 6 liters. I drove it around and checked the dipstick, as far as I could tell it wasn't over the checkered line... How much oil would it take for it to be "too much"?

gtwhy

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone have issues with not getting all the dirty oil with an extractor? Both times i've used it i've extracted 5.1 litres.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I just finished doing it too, my first own oil change and it took me about 45 minutes all together. Didn't seem like it got all of the oil out completely but should be at least 99%. Hard to tell how much is in the extractor because its 9.5L

If anything I'm worried I poured in too much oil because it was practically the entire 6 liters. I drove it around and checked the dipstick, it appeared to be within the checkers the best I could tell. How much oil would it take for it to be "too much"?

Should hold around 5.8-5.9L unless you have larger oil pan.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Should hold around 5.8-5.9L unless you have larger oil pan.

Oh ok, I heard 5.7 somewhere else. Closer to 6 would make more sense.

Does anyone have issues with not getting all the dirty oil with an extractor? Both times i've used it i've extracted 5.1 litres.

Did you check it beforehand to see if the car has been burning oil? And how did you measure it...I would like to do the same

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I used to say that until I tried one and then dropped the sump plug out expecting oil to pour out. A teaspoon of out at most came out, so now I will never get under a car again to change oil. A bonus is you save a fortune on not buying sump plugs over the years :D

I won't ever know because I'll never do it. With respect to saving a fortune not having to replace the oil drain plug they only cost $6 so I don't think that will ever add up to a fortune. Plus as others have said that's the perfect time to inspect everything underneath the car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

If anything I'm worried I poured in too much oil because it was practically the entire 6 liters. I drove it around and checked the dipstick, as far as I could tell it wasn't over the checkered line... How much oil would it take for it to be "too much"?

The 18 SE takes 6 quarts.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I won't ever know because I'll never do it. With respect to saving a fortune not having to replace the oil drain plug they only cost $6 so I don't think that will ever add up to a fortune. Plus as others have said that's the perfect time to inspect everything underneath the car.

We get it.... you don’t want to use an extractor. Thanks.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
a bathroom scale may not read accurately that low in it's range.

just a reminder....check your oil level. You should know how full it is at least 1x month.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Oh ok, I heard 5.7 somewhere else. Closer to 6 would make more sense.

Did you check it beforehand to see if the car has been burning oil? And how did you measure it...I would like to do the same

If I picked a number, I hear 5.8L used more.
My larger pan holds 1L more so I pulled out 6.8L.
Let it drain and pump some more and bounce tube off bottom while you pump at the end.

5.8L equals 6.128Q.

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
When I used my extractor, I got like 5.7 or something, pretty much as much as I could get from the car. My only thing was when I used the extractor, I put the extended tube in the other tube and it was kinda odd like i feel like there should be some kinda connector piece between the 2 plastic tubes instead of just shoving the smaller one in the larger one. Its possible I used it wrong but it worked.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
So will draining. I've done the extraction and then lifted the car and opened the drain plug too, there's maybe 0.3L of oil that came out afterward. I did this on both of my MK7s and the results were very similar. When you're talking about ~6L of oil in your motor, .3L is not really very much. Similar videos on YouTube showing the same thing.

What a good idea. Doing this before my next change. I typically push in until I hit bottom, then push another 2" or so to make sure the tube is laying on the bottom of the pan on its side.

Some dealers do, but I have seen Audi service documentation, perhaps even posted on this forum, advising technicians not to use extractors.

The two dealers closest to me explicitly do not use extraction and when asked why the service advisors at both dealers said that that was not VW procedure. This was ~2 years ago that I asked when in for warranty repair and was wondering about extraction, so maybe this has changed.

All of that being said, I like using my extractor and will continue to do so every 5k.

The hose with my unit is curved from shipping so if I push it farther in it likely will curve up and the intake will likely not be on the bottom. Just move it around some while pumping and the pull out some and then touch bottom one last time.