GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone changed their oil without the car up?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
It always leave a bit of oil in there, but it save a hell of a lot of time.

So will draining. I've done the extraction and then lifted the car and opened the drain plug too, there's maybe 0.3L of oil that came out afterward. I did this on both of my MK7s and the results were very similar. When you're talking about ~6L of oil in your motor, .3L is not really very much. Similar videos on YouTube showing the same thing.

Cut 45dg angle off the bottom of the hose so you get flow when on bottom pan.

What a good idea. Doing this before my next change. I typically push in until I hit bottom, then push another 2" or so to make sure the tube is laying on the bottom of the pan on its side.

Another vote for an extractor, even dealers are using them.

Some dealers do, but I have seen Audi service documentation, perhaps even posted on this forum, advising technicians not to use extractors.

The two dealers closest to me explicitly do not use extraction and when asked why the service advisors at both dealers said that that was not VW procedure. This was ~2 years ago that I asked when in for warranty repair and was wondering about extraction, so maybe this has changed.

All of that being said, I like using my extractor and will continue to do so every 5k.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I personally don't have a good experience with the oil extractor. It always leave a bit of oil in there, but it save a hell of a lot of time.

So will draining. I've done the extraction and then lifted the car and opened the drain plug too, there's maybe 0.3L of oil that came out afterward. I did this on both of my MK7s and the results were very similar. When you're talking about ~6L of oil in your motor, .3L is not really very much. Similar videos on YouTube showing the same thing.

What a good idea. Doing this before my next change.

Some dealers do, but I have seen Audi service documentation, perhaps even posted on this forum, advising technicians not to use extractors.

The two dealers closest to me explicitly do not use extraction and when asked why since it would save time, the service advisors at both dealers said that that was not VW procedure. This was ~2 years ago that I asked when in for warranty repair and was wondering about extraction, so maybe this has changed.

All of that being said, I like using my extractor and will continue to do so every 5k.

In my experience, draining leaves more in the engine than extraction; the extraction oil change I did on my Mk7 removed exactly 6L from my car, the same amount as the manual specifies. My previous car could drain an extra .5qt if you left it jacked up at an angle for 30 minutes.

I worked at a dealer that used extractors, and the only reason we got rid of them is because our lazy shit technicians wouldn't bother going through the checklists (and therefore missing maintenance/needed repairs) with the car on the ground.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Maybe for an old-timer with a bad back :D
:p

you should try dragging my ramps out.....4" x 8" landscaping timbers that I had to add two 2" x 8"s to get the height needed for my lowered Mustang. They are 5 - 6' long and weigh enough to make them theft proof.

Mud

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I don't care what anyone says I'll never use an extractor.

I used to say that until I tried one and then dropped the sump plug out expecting oil to pour out. A teaspoon of out at most came out, so now I will never get under a car again to change oil. A bonus is you save a fortune on not buying sump plugs over the years :D

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I used to say that until I tried one and then dropped the sump plug out expecting oil to pour out. A teaspoon of out at most came out, so now I will never get under a car again to change oil. A bonus is you save a fortune on not buying sump plugs over the years :D

Those plugs are a couple bucks each :) I hope you are not using those plug savings in place of your 401k ;)

I heard that it's still a good idea to replace the sump plugs once in a while due to temperature induced expansion and contraction. I'm sure if you do 5k or 7.5k mi oil changes, changing the plug every time is excessive, but every two or three oil changes sounds pretty good to me, just in case.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Since my separation, I don’t have several of my tools, and my jack stands and jack are 2 I don’t have. I need to change my oil though. Has anyone changed it without having the car up? Or is it just too low?

Im in SE PA, if you come to me you could gladly use my jack/ stands / or ramps/ or oil extractor

Oil extractor nay sayers... it is what it is.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm a very skinny guy. I can change my oil without jacking up the car, but it's not easy and its not fun. I use an extractor now but have done it both ways on this car.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I use an extractor and then put it up on my lift to rotate tires.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
The extractor worked well. Looks like it pulled almost 5.7 qts out. First oil change. I was surprised at 5200 miles, and the first oil change, the oil was still quite slick and didn’t look, or smell burnt.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The extractor worked well. Looks like it pulled almost 5.7 qts out. First oil change. I was surprised at 5200 miles, and the first oil change, the oil was still quite slick and didn’t look, or smell burnt.

How long did it take?