GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to R

hotchicken

Ready to race!
Like another guy posting here recently I’m going from GTI to an R. Had a black 2018 GTI SE 6MT since last October. Great car, but lacked power I wanted. Tossed on a JB4 and then it had too much power for the front wheels alone to handle. Also, OMG the black paint was killing me!

So, sold the GTI, found a 2017 LSG color R 6MT from a member here, and it arrives from OH this Wednesday. Stoked.

Car has APR Stage 1 tune, upgraded clutch, and APR short shift kit. Should be pretty snappy.

Plans for now are to carry over some things from the GTI. ECS silicone intake hose, K&N, CTS Turbo turbo inlet, turbo muffler delete. Have some things from Badgeskins and EZMods to cover up annoying things like the passenger airbag light, airbag warning stickers on the visors, and the chrome on the front end.

Considering installing the RS7 coils and plugs I bought but never installed on the GTI. May transfer the RocEuro arm and 034 dogbone inserts I had on the GTI. Also have the ECS clutch block, steel clutch line, and 034 engine mounts that I never got around to on the GTI.

The big mystery is how long I make it before going Stage 2 with the crackle tune!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I wouldn't have a obnoxious crackle tune as it will soon get tiresome and it just sounds silly, like the 90's BOV craze that is now laughed at. Keep it dignified.;)

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I wouldn't even bother with the 034 mounts. Not worth the install time.

They helped in the GTI. You just don’t like them, or is the R different in a way that makes them unnecessary?

+1, please educate us. I was planning on getting the 034 engine and tranny mounts down the road too..

Congrats on your R hotchicken. I too had traction issues after installing JB1 on my GTI. I hate wheel spin.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
They helped in the GTI. You just don’t like them, or is the R different in a way that makes them unnecessary?

+1, please educate us. I was planning on getting the 034 engine and tranny mounts down the road too..

Congrats on your R hotchicken. I too had traction issues after installing JB1 on my GTI. I hate wheel spin.

Simply put, 034 upper engine/trans mounts are basically OEM mounts. They're like the same durometer rubber, or slightly higher, with a very slight change in design to fill some voids.

BFI's Stage 1 upper mounts are much better in terms of longevity and effectiveness, while still maintaining that OEM comfort level.

Source: I have owned both, first 034, then BFI. 034's were shot in under a year, (much like OEM).

hotchicken

Ready to race!
Simply put, 034 upper engine/trans mounts are basically OEM mounts. They're like the same durometer rubber, or slightly higher, with a very slight change in design to fill some voids.

BFI's Stage 1 upper mounts are much better in terms of longevity and effectiveness, while still maintaining that OEM comfort level.

Source: I have owned both, first 034, then BFI. 034's were shot in under a year, (much like OEM).

Gotcha. I misunderstood. I never actually I nstalled the engine mounts in the GTI. I had the 034 dogbone inserts in the GTI and found them helpful.

Garrett

Passed Driver's Ed
you'll love the switch i just did the same thing a few months ago. Traded in my 16 reflex silver GTI and picked up a lapiz blue 16 R.

Best decision i ever made.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

+1

Also, you couldn't keep the tires planted because you didn't upgrade the stock mounts (034 isn't an upgrade). I am running APR stage 2 and I can keep my tires planted/don't experience ANY wheel hop. If I'm being an idiot, the tires will break loose... but that's because I'm being an idiot.

hotchicken

Ready to race!
+1

Also, you couldn't keep the tires planted because you didn't upgrade the stock mounts (034 isn't an upgrade). I am running APR stage 2 and I can keep my tires planted/don't experience ANY wheel hop. If I'm being an idiot, the tires will break loose... but that's because I'm being an idiot.

What did you do to avoid wheel hop, etc.?