GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tailgate wiring loom grommet part number

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yep did the inside too to make sure nothing can get through... Unfortunately damage to the headliner has been done and blue marks are visible now :( I have to see if there's a way to clean that...

That sucks. Did you perhaps puncture a hole in the grommet itself or the roof side of the grommet was leaking?

When the rear gate (hatch door) is closed, that grommet on the gate side is positioned vertically, right? Water shouldn't seep inside if you had caulk on there.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Just saw this thread now. Silicone does not stick to rubber well at all and will separate. Agreed with some others about the need for a gasket-type adhesive. Any adhesive that adheres to rubber and remains flexible should work.

Silicone works well in a mechanical type connection, but it’s evil trying to glue rubber stuff together. It’s like it looks like it will work right up until the point it peels apart and laughs at you :(

Tsi7

Ready to race!
That sucks. Did you perhaps puncture a hole in the grommet itself or the roof side of the grommet was leaking?

When the rear gate (hatch door) is closed, that grommet on the gate side is positioned vertically, right? Water shouldn't seep inside if you had caulk on there.

There was a small puncture in one of the grommets but it was covered the entire time... the leak happened before I sealed it up so the damage was down without me every noticing

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
There was a small puncture in one of the grommets but it was covered the entire time... the leak happened before I sealed it up so the damage was down without me every noticing

I see. Good thing you replaced it then. Honestly filling the top portion with caulk is probably more durable and a robust repair than just a bead around that thin grommet mouth especially if the clip is broken.

steveaustin

Ready to race!
I'm having mine replaced. I know I would obsess about it leaking so to me it might be a PIA but I'd rather do it properly and have the peace of mind. It rains a lot here, needless to say.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I made a little visor out of thin white plastic sheet I had that directs water away from the top half of the grommet while the gate is closed (while driving in rain or washing car). My car is white so it does not look out of place.

I got the idea from doing door speaker installs on a car I had long time ago where rain water dripped onto the motor (basket) of the speaker for some reason. After making a simple visor to redirect water, no issue.

My grommet opening's tab did not break off when I did the LED tail install last weekend, but the tab hinges were considerably white from getting bent so not taking any chances. (I didn't want to remove them again to fill it with sealant as I was concerned the tabs would break the 2nd time I take them off the car..!).

jabba1

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, thought I'd try replacing the grommet today. I removed the trim and was able to unclip the connectors all ready to pull them through the old grommet, that's where I had trouble. The 2 connectors on the right hand side (looking from the rear) are too large to fit through the grommet, even individually. I found that you can disassemble the connectors, half of it slides out of the housing but there are 2 wires that are in the main body. I can only think that VW remove the 2 pins from the housing, thus allowing them to pull the wiring through the grommet. Obviously there is a way of removing these pins, must be a locking mechanism, but I can't see how .......

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Well, thought I'd try replacing the grommet today. I removed the trim and was able to unclip the connectors all ready to pull them through the old grommet, that's where I had trouble. The 2 connectors on the right hand side (looking from the rear) are too large to fit through the grommet, even individually. I found that you can disassemble the connectors, half of it slides out of the housing but there are 2 wires that are in the main body. I can only think that VW remove the 2 pins from the housing, thus allowing them to pull the wiring through the grommet. Obviously there is a way of removing these pins, must be a locking mechanism, but I can't see how .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhNbGtLDZiU

Watch the video, it goes in depth on the procedure

You do have to remove the 2 pins from both connectors. You'll either need to buy the pin removal tool or get something really small that fits... I got lucky and used some very small computer screwdrivers, the tiny 1.0mm flat head

Last edited: