GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Prevent Carbon build up ?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Use top tier fuel and don't do too many really short drives where the car doesn't heat up fully. Those are the best ways to slow it down, but it will still happen eventually.

Catch cans really only help when tracking the car (unlike the older generations).

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Carbon build up is just part of ownership. If on a budget, I suggest you just save a couple of bucks every week (skip the 5minutes of glory aka Starbucks every day) and keep a fund going for the cleaning service down the road. Spending extra money on parts for this imho is a waste.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Drive really hard, but it still won’t prevent it, just lessen it.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Drive really hard, but it still won’t prevent it, just lessen it.

There is some thought that driving hard (Italian tune-up) causes MORE buildup because of the blow by of our turbo engines under high boost conditions. Our Mk 7 engine is engineered with a way more sophisticated positive crankcase vent system that seems to mitigate carbon buildup. After that I believe walnut shell blasting by a competent technician is the best course.

ImMrMeeseeks

Ready to race!
There is some thought that driving hard (Italian tune-up) causes MORE buildup because of the blow by of our turbo engines under high boost conditions. Our Mk 7 engine is engineered with a way more sophisticated positive crankcase vent system that seems to mitigate carbon buildup. After that I believe walnut shell blasting by a competent technician is the best course.

Drive really hard isn’t the same as an Italian tune up and I trust the humble mechanic pretty well when he says driving harder does help slow it down. As we all know, there’s no way to prevent it entirely. After 50-60k just perform a cleaning service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
At a local Euro shop near me, they offer a machine that injects a chemical cleaner through the map sensor. The two mechanics said they tried it on their cars and the valves looked near new. They showed my 3rd cylinder valve via a camera through the MAP sensor and honestly it was not too horrible. Obviously some build up but not snot rockets. I did try the CRC cleaner myself at 30k, now at 53k and will do another can.

Here is the video of the cleaner the shop offered for $300
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vq_DHtWWbZA

Idk, seems to be the 3rd cylinder would get a majority of the solvent.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
With my MkV I had really good results with the CRC GDI intake cleaner. I had it professionally cleaned at 85K (it was really gunked up) and then treated it with this stuff before every 5K oil change. I found a port on the front of the intake that took a 00 rubber stopper, and also fit the straw. I need to find the same kind of port on the Mk7.5.

https://www.ebay.com/p/CRC-05319-GD...ner-11-Oz/14027088238?iid=113421988788&chn=ps

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
What do you mean ? I need to clean the injectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euro cars get MPI and DI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
MPI is intriguing to me. I know it’s expensive and needs tuning. Also good for high HP applications. My question is could it be beneficial to someone like myself who’s never going past is38 or littco 380 power levels or even someone on a stg 2 tune like I will be shortly? If it keeps carbon build up at bay and is more efficient overall it seems like it might be a worthwhile investment even though costly.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Actually most of it is caused from over run from what I’ve read