GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
This part is absolutely fascinating. So based on info in this thread, for 2019 it's the same engine for both North America and EU markets which is Direct Injection (no more multiport for EU). As of now, we have extensive reports of stalling from both US and Canada cars, minimal reports of stalling from EU market cars, and minimal reports of stalling from Mexico market cars.

I assume EU market engines are made in Germany and North American market engines are made in Mexico, now to identical specs? But if it were a difference in manufacturing capability, Mexico market cars should have the same incidence rates as the US/Canada cars.

Your graph rules out Sulfur content since while US and Canada do have higher allowed Sulfur content as compared to the EU, Mexico's is even higher, so barring some weird non-linear relationship in the tune with Sulfur, you'd expect Mexico to have an even higher stalling rate compared to US/Canada engines.

What else could be different? I have no data so this is just a question, but does Ethanol content vary widely between the US and EU? EtOH is an octane booster and to the best of my knowledge is only compulsory during the cold weather months across most of the US.

To the bolded, I think EU GTIs are tuned with a bit more stock HP, no? At least, they were for Mk7, where PP cars gave 10hp more than US versions?

Not sure if the 8hp bump with the 2019s just brings them all up to what stock EU MK7s have always had...

historyteacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I have verified that there are no significant reports from Mexican dealerships and there really is no Mexican equivalent of NHTSA, but some safety issues are handled by the Ministry of Communication and Transport.

As I've said earlier, the current VW issue is very similar to BMWs problems in the 2007-10 with High Pressure Fuel Pump issues that only occurred in the US/Canada. Like VW, BMW stuck their head in the sand for the longest time denying that there was an issue because there were no reports in the ROW. Finally, they figured that the only difference was the US gas.

So did BMW come up with a fix for their issue?

Inka Orange

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit 6MT
For what it’s worth, my non stalling 2019 MT GTI has only ever had 93 octane in it.

Dealer fill was 87 (Gulf :eek:) for mine...car ran fine. Filled it w/ Sunoco 93 as soon as I could get it below half. Changed to 91 after that for the rest of spring and summer.

Started introducing 89 past couple fill-ups. Still runs fine. Just might try 87 when cold weather sets in. It'll be a top tier brand though.

cb1111

For what it’s worth, my non stalling 2019 MT GTI has only ever had 93 octane in it.

Dealer fill was 87 (Gulf :eek:) for mine...car ran fine. Filled it w/ Sunoco 93 as soon as I could get it below half. Changed to 91 after that for the rest of spring and summer.

Started introducing 89 past couple fill-ups. Still runs fine. Just might try 87 when cold weather sets in. It'll be a top tier brand though.
Unlikely to be octane.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Pretty common. Manufacturers like to say "here's the info you requested - oh, and here is our resolution"

so basically, no dicking around with a half-response and ask for more time--just give us some more time to finish all of this with data and resolutions in one go and all that?

I can dig it.

Here's what I'm wondering: the sudden, somewhat painless success of members here going through buybacks, is it likely that VWoA just put out a quick go-ahead to authorize some x number of buybacks on the spot, so that they could get some known cars back in to their main shops for some serious testing?

cb1111

so basically, no dicking around with a half-response and ask for more time--just give us some more time to finish all of this with data and resolutions in one go and all that?

I can dig it.

Here's what I'm wondering: the sudden, somewhat painless success of members here going through buybacks, is it likely that VWoA just put out a quick go-ahead to authorize some x number of buybacks on the spot, so that they could get some known cars back in to their main shops for some serious testing?
Given the speed of some of the buybacks, I'd opine that you are right. VW is living under the microscope and they've got to get this right.

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Almost 13K now, 9K since my last stalling incident. Did a throttle body adaptation (VCDS) and oil change (M1 0W-20 @ 3.5K-ish) on the same day and no stalls in over 1K. Very shortly after that the JB4 went in. No stalling in the 9K since those 3 items.

Last edited:

86theeffort

Passed Driver's Ed
Given the speed of some of the buybacks, I'd opine that you are right. VW is living under the microscope and they've got to get this right.

Part of me thinks (hopes) that the buyback speed also related to the cars being a safety hazard and that their legal department noted that the long-term cost of a buyback and wholesale it out when fixed approach is cheaper than the legal bills alone when someone inevitably sues VWoA for injuries sustained because the car stalled unexpectedly and they got t-boned in an intersection.

As an epilogue to my story, I finally received my final buyback checks from VWoA a couple of days ago. I now officially no longer have any stake in my 2019 SE. The new 2018 Autobahn edition I snagged as a replacement with the loyalty assistance now has ~2k miles on it and is every bit the car I had hoped it would be. Good luck to everyone else going through the process.

canada 99

HI all, Newbie here from Canada. Not sure to post here or in the Canada section. Is there anyone else in Canada having this issue? I am getting nowhere with the dealership and VW Canada. My Rabbit has been at the dealership for over 5 weeks while they await instructions from VW Canada. Sooooo frustrating

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
HI all, Newbie here from Canada. Not sure to post here or in the Canada section. Is there anyone else in Canada having this issue? I am getting nowhere with the dealership and VW Canada. My Rabbit has been at the dealership for over 5 weeks while they await instructions from VW Canada. Sooooo frustrating

More than a handful of Canucks in this thread. Someone in mentioned early on that one of the dealers up in Canada had every single one of their 2019 Rabbits back in at service for stalling.