GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Black Forest Industries Staged Clutch kits

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
We are happy to be able to offer you a BFI line in clutches. These Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch Kits are offered in 5 different stages, to meet a variety of applications. Below we have outlined and simplified what each kit includes to give you and idea of just which kit is right for you.

LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEELS:
Our Ultra Lightweight Flywheels are made from 4140 forged steel and tip the scales at only 18.85 lbs. These are superior in strength and far lighter than cast versions allowing you to free up more horsepower and rev faster than with your sluggish factory parts. Included in every kit.

STAGE 1 & 2:
Both full faced, steel back, brass plus sprung discs. Stage 1 includes a 1900 lb pressure plate, good for a max torque of 290 ft lbs while the Stage 2 kit includes a 2500 lb pressure plate good for 400 ft lbs. Both 1 & 2 are geared for street comfort and daily driveability. This is an ideal upgrade for a stock turbo plus bolt-ons.

STAGE 3:
Our Stage 3 kit includes a full segmented, ceramic, sprung disc, 2500 lb pressure plate, good for a max torque of 450 ft lbs. This kit is ideal for spirited driving and would also pair well with an IS38 turbo upgrade.

STAGE 4 & 5:
Our Stage 4 & 5 kits are comprised of both a 6 puck, and 4 puck copper, sprung, ceramic disc respectively. Both kits utilize our 2500 lb pressure plate. The Stage 4 kit is good for a max torque of 500 ft lbs while the Stage 5 kit is good for a max torque of 550 ft lbs. These kits are great options for a big turbo set-up.

In addition to the parts mentioned above, we also include brand new hardware, a specific clutch alignment tool, and a brand new OEM replacement release bearing.

Last edited:

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Hi, I currently have the BFI stage 3 clutch in my 2015 GTI. I will be installing an a EQT turbo which is going to be around 410-430 wheel torque, will the clutch handle it well?

Thanks,

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, I currently have the BFI stage 3 clutch in my 2015 GTI. I will be installing an a EQT turbo which is going to be around 410-430 wheel torque, will the clutch handle it well?

Thanks,

Well according to the graph that BFI posted, stg 3 is rated for 450, so going by that, it will probably be ok but it is close. I wouldn't drive on it too crazy.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Dude says:

Stage one 290 lb/ft

Graphic says:

Says stage one is only rated for 210 lb/ft :p

It's inconsistent for stage 2 and 3 also with the guy saying 400/450 and the Graphic saying 300/400.

Kind of...confusing.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Right now I have a e30 Stage 2 tune from MAP that is supposedly around 400ish torque, and it handles that no problem, so hopefully it shouldn't be much different with the EQT. Crossing fingers!

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Its never to the wheels because clutch deals with power off of the crank.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Dude says:

Stage one 290 lb/ft

Graphic says:

Says stage one is only rated for 210 lb/ft :p

It's inconsistent for stage 2 and 3 also with the guy saying 400/450 and the Graphic saying 300/400.

Kind of...confusing.

This would probably be why people were blowing these clutches out early, left and right.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
This would probably be why people were blowing these clutches out early, left and right.

I wouldn't say people are blowing them left and right. That's a gross misrepresentation. We've sold close to a thousand clutch kits, and have had many repeat customers. Does that mean there haven't been any issues? No. But, we've warrantied clutches when they called for it.

The issue is clutches are a wear item, and depending on how you use it, they can wear faster. It's not like a downpipe where it won't see many variables in its usage. For example, my stock GTI's clutch was slipping at 12k miles. People have these issues everyday as seen on the forum. When you order a clutch and you throw in big power, and are launching your car every weekend at the track, your clutch life will be reduced than say driving on a highway everyday.

We've seen people get 50k+ miles out of our clutch, and some 10k miles. There's always stories were people leave the dealership with a new car, and blow the clutch in hours. Like I mentioned, it depends on usage. Last week, I sold a Stage 3 kit to a customer with a MK6 Golf R after our first clutch lasted him 50k miles. He loved it, and wanted another one. Had nothing to say but great things. Same with a customer whose clutch lasted him 20k, but he dragged raced every weekend and was very happy with the holding power.

Generally speaking, you will hear more negative about a product than good things. If you search, you will see negatives about every major clutch manufacturer.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Couple more days left on the sale. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk