GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Max boost on Boss 600 and E85

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
Cars going in for lpfp and mpi with flex. I was thinking of having max boost set to 28 psi for both pump and E. Cars got a gtx3071r turbo. Am I playing it safe at these pressures?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Cars going in for lpfp and mpi with flex. I was thinking of having max boost set to 28 psi for both pump and E. Cars got a gtx3071r turbo. Am I playing it safe at these pressures?

Depending on your altitude omin Colorado I would maybe dial back boost a little. Pushing a lot in high altitudes can be pretty bad

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I run 30, 1st and 2nd gear, 35-36psi on 3-6 on mine. Walbro 450, racingworks mpi, flex fuel sensor. FYI the single walbro cannot support full e85, at least how UM tunes everything. I generally mix e50-e70. According to UM, the boss kits don’t see any real hp gains after e50ish anyway. That’s what I’ve been told, heard from others with similar setups and my local tuner echoes the same. I’m very happy with my setup and have been driving this setup for 9-10 months, trouble free after the initial, what I’d consider normal install gremlins, but since sorted been golden and happy!

I would definitely expect yours to be running less boost than mine though, because of your attitude, l’m close to sea level. Unless you’re built block I’d expect lower psi, which is a shame the Garrets really come alive over 30 psi.

pieguy

Ready to race!
I was doing 33 psi on full e85 with w525 and mpi. 17*, but i'm at sea level too.

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
I am running 25 PSI now on the Boss 600 turbo and on 91 pump. Car feels great, pulls great etc on UM tune.

I ran out of fuel at 26 PSI.

I know the turbo can push 30 pounds at elevation without running outside its ideal operating turbine speeds. I'm am thinking 28 to 30 psi should be fine as it's absolute pressure (although shaft speed will increase to get that pressure due to less air density).

Anyone in Colorado running big turbos have any input?

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
How do you do this?????

That’s what my local tuner and UM have done when we were data logging and modifying the tuning back and forth, basically street tuning on a deserted country road out here. I assumed it was done to try and not break stuff in the lower gears 1 and 2 and they were comfortable pushing it harder in 3,4,5,6, in their vast experience. I know they were talking about boost by gear in their tuning awhile ago, I just assumed BT setups all had it. My local tuner has a great relationship with them though, maybe I’ve got a really aggressive version, I’m known as one of the braver customers though, I ran their 30 psi tune when I was stage 2 with zero issues for 1.5 years (obviously that one blead off boost as rpms went up)

But ya they know me, or my car, or my local tuner who’s also a good friend as the guy that wants as much as they feel safe to give. So I probably get that and more knowing my bud lol I’ve also got e85 although I only run e55-e70, but I run it all the time,readily available and am near sea level. So far so good, knock on wood lol

I must have a version of “gear dependent boost limitation” listed here under future mods
http://www.unitedmotorsport.net/products/mk7-mqb-20-tsi-gen3/

Last edited:

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Hey there Mr. high elevation (like me) :)

I'm running a walbro 450, hpfp, non MPI, and run E53~E55 Cobb tuned on an EQT Vortex turbo, which I would imagine is very similar to a 3071r. I'm at approx 4000ft ASL. I am currently running 28.5psi (ish), and Ed @ EQT is pleased with the results (as am I).

Bottom line, work with your tuner, and your mileage may vary. But what you're asking I would say is definitely possible.

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
Thanks for the input. I will most likely limit max boost to 28 and run as much E as I can. The car felt dam good on 25 psi and 91 pump.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Guess I’ll have to pay attention to my boost gauge in 1st and 2nd. Those 2 gears go by super quick lol. I know Fred did at least 6 revisions on my car that I can remember.