GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Seat/LATCH questions for parents of kids in car seats

slow12s

Ready to race!
Hi all, expecting my daughter in about 4 1/2 weeks and we started installing the car seat in my GTI this past weekend in preparation. I had a couple of questions - I have read the car seat section in the owners manual AND I have read the manual that came with the car seat (Uppababy Mesa). I'd like to put the car seat in the rear middle since that's the safest spot and it seems to give us a little more room up front compared to having the car seat behind one of our seats. The manual states that the LATCH system (built in anchoring for car seats) is only for the outboard seats, but the Uppababy car seat manual states that so long as the center LATCH points are under 22" apart, they are ok to use (the GTI is ~17" apart in the center). Can anyone explain to me why I wouldn't be able to use the center seat with the LATCH system for the car seat? The physics seem the same, I can tighten the seat down just as much in the center as I can on either side and it is totally level - is there any actual reason not to use the center with the LATCH system (the LATCH install seems much tighter than installing it in the same spot with a seatbelt)? Thanks!

DAS_STIG

Banned
I have a car seat in my car and if I put it behind the passenger seat it renders the front passenger space nearly useless. That being said, I do not believe the latch system is any safer than a seat-belt install. Just use the seat belt if you want it in the center.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Congratulations for your daughter!

I don’t see why not to put it in the center, the latch will make your life easier to install the baby seat but it doesn’t have to be safer than the regular seat belt.

slow12s

Ready to race!
Pick a side and use the latch system like it was designed.

My wife is 5'1" and the passenger seat would have to be up to a fairly uncomfortable level if we put it behind there (this car seat takes up way more front/back room than I expected)...also from what I've been reading, it's the least safe spot...I'd prefer to keep my daughter in the middle (behind my 6'4" ass is not an option lol), just trying to figure out if there is any actual reasoning/logic for not using the center LATCH anchors vs strapping the car seat in with the seatbelt

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
My car (2-door) is not the baby hauler, my wife's Tiguan is.
However the 2 times the car seat had to go in my car I could only really fit it in the middle and to do that, I used the latch system.
I did not even consider that it would be an issue, and to be honest, we latch it in the middle of the Tiguan as well...we are both 6' tall so behind either of us is not really an option.
So to answer your question, I don't know.
But I have definitely been doing it, so now I'm also curious as to if this presents any actual issues, or reasons why it should not be done...

DAS_STIG

Banned
Congratulations for your daughter!

I don’t see why not to put it in the center, the latch will make your life easier to install the baby seat but it doesn’t have to be safer than the regular seat belt.

Depends on which seat you have. The Britax Click Tights we use are super easy with either latch or seat belt. The infant seat with base that we used was definitely easier with the latch.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I was trying to tiptoe around this but I'll just come right out and say it. If you're t-boned hard enough that the other object is intruding so far into the car that it will kill whomever is sitting there due to being in contact with the intruding object it won't matter if you are there or in the center or on the other side, your brain will be scrambled eggs.

I haven't looked at GTI manual so if it says ok for center latch, go for it. If not, it wasn't designed that way and shouldn't be done. The anchors are spaced a specific way so the seat doesn't fly all over the inside of the car in an impact.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Depends on which seat you have. The Britax Click Tights we use are super easy with either latch or seat belt. The infant seat with base that we used was definitely easier with the latch.

I hear you, I don’t know at this moment what model do we have to be honest but when we had our first daughter in 2003 baby seats were a royal pain in the rear to put in and out of the car, then the latch it was like discovering the fire XD
Anyway, the best security for your baby will always be an skill driver aware of the dangers (idiots) surrounding you.

edrex

Ready to race!
I think Diggs make a good, if unsugarcoated, point. Not to mention in the center you’ll be stretching to the middle of the car every time you are installing or removing the seat from the base which will probably be happening plenty of time with the child still in the seat making it much more awkward and difficult. Especially if you just got the little one to sleep and are trying to get her in the house without waking her. Put the seat behind the passenger seat and don’t overthink it.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I have a car seat behind the front passenger seat and my wife who is 5'7" fits in the front seat comfortably. I'm 6'5" so for me in the front would not work to well lol. Another thing to keep in mind with the LATCH system is that they are only rated for use up to a certain weight and then the seat needs to be secured with the seat belts. When my daughter was small we used the LATCH system but now that she is almost 4 and weighs approx. 41lbs we've switched to the seat belt install method.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I think it's ok to put in in the middle, based on your baby seat manual. I think you'd be better off on the sides though, as it will make it easier getting the baby in and out of there, and you won't have to kneel, crawl over to the center area to tend to her. My child is older now, doesn't need the car seat anymore but that's based on having one in my old MK5 Golf and a Honda CR-V.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
This is from the Britax website:

Q. Can a BRITAX child seat be installed in the rear center seating position using the lower anchors of the outboard seating positions?
A. Check your vehicle owner’s manual for the exact LATCH anchor locations and seating positions (if equipped), information on use with a child seat, and for the maximum weight rating for the LATCH anchors.

Standard vehicle seat spacing between LATCH anchors is 11 inches (27.9 cm). MOST BRITAX child seats with flexible attachments can be used in a seating position with up to 20 inches (50.8 cm) of space between the LATCH anchors if the vehicle manufacturer allows.

The Marathon CLICKTIGHT, Boulevard CLICKTIGHT and Advocate CLICKTIGHT can only be installed using lower anchors in designated vehicle seating positions with LATCH.