GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
are these the NGK Racing "8" or "9" ? i have the 8 and have been happy with them thus far..knock on wood (hits head) :D

I'm running 9's.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Do you guys think I should start a second thread like this in the GTI section? Not too sure how many people look at both sections.

-- Ed

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Do you guys think I should start a second thread like this in the GTI section? Not too sure how many people look at both sections.

-- Ed
I've (GTI owner) been watching this shit like a hawk lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I've (GTI owner) been watching this shit like a hawk lol

I wish there was a way to have the same thread appear in multiple sections. It would simplify this kind of thing.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I didn't even realize this was in the Golf R forum till you said something lol. I never check the subcategories.

Cool. Maybe I don’t need to worry about that then.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
With my situation, and possibly others in California, would there be any benefit in getting a custom e-tune over your OTS tune?

I'd likely only stick to an intercooler and good ol' California 91 (my area in socal has weather similar to Fairfield's -- lows can be 35° while highs can be 110°). I'm still debating on asking for an additional E blend (maybe E30) tune, but my hope is to not be as dependent on the ethanol stations as I am right now.

Last edited:

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Ed, since I know you use the NGK racing spark plugs with your car and I believe you are the only one on this forum using them, I want to ask you a few questions about them...

1. How do they perform?
2. What gap do you have them set at?
3. How often do you change them?

I'm running the same plugs after seeing Ed's recommendation. They were pricey, but I think they are working well.

Also heat range 9 like he said.

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
I think this thread is fine, w/o need for a GTI specific one. When it comes to EQT, E85, MPI....I don't even pay attention to R/GTI

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
With my situation, and possibly others in California, would there be any benefit in getting a custom e-tune over your OTS tune?

I'd likely only stick to an intercooler and good ol' California 91 (my area in socal has weather similar to Fairfield's -- lows can be 35° while highs can be 110°). I'm still debating on asking for an additional E blend (maybe E30) tune, but my hope is to not be as dependent on the ethanol stations as I am right now.

An e-tune is always going to be better overall and will usually allow us to dial in a bit more power as well as make sure things are running properly for your specific car and mods. But my OTS maps run very well and are generally on the safe side. So if you're not looking for every last bit, they're a great option.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed, this is an odd one but have you seen these?

https://www.nostrumshop.com/product/vag-1-8l-2l-turbo-four-cylinder-ea888/

Still an E-tuning question, does Cobb have access to injector data tables needed to use these? I've read before that DI fueling is best for power (versus a combo of DI and MPI), so having double the flow of OEM injectors should net some interesting results.

Yes, they are $1500. :(

I've seen those but haven't messed with them. It would be an interesting option if MPI wasn't on the horizon. But with the cost of these and the added benefits of MPI, I decided not to go that route personally. DI is great for overall power, but PI keeps things much cleaner. We do have access to all the injector data in Cobb, so it is possible.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I think this thread is fine, w/o need for a GTI specific one. When it comes to EQT, E85, MPI....I don't even pay attention to R/GTI

I'm just thinking a thread in the GTI section may get more eyes on it. We'll see how it goes.

-- Ed