GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI - '18 CPO vs '18 New vs '19 New??

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm having a tough time with this decision so I'd appreciate input/thoughts. Looking at Autobahn DSG, likely to keep it for roughly 2 years @ 10,000 miles/year before I re-sell. Won't mod it, track it, autocross it - just a daily driver. My options appear to be:

1. 2018 CPO w/ 10K miles, good, not perfect, appearance, clean service records -- $28,500

2. 2018 New - $33,500

3. 2019 New - $34,500

Pricing seems pretty firm although I'm still working on getting the CPO and the 2018 New down a few bucks.

But assuming these prices and all being acceptable colors, which would you buy and why?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm having a tough time with this decision so I'd appreciate input/thoughts. Looking at Autobahn DSG, likely to keep it for roughly 2 years @ 10,000 miles/year before I re-sell. Won't mod it, track it, autocross it - just a daily driver. My options appear to be:

1. 2018 CPO w/ 10K miles, good, not perfect, appearance, clean service records -- $28,500

2. 2018 New - $33,500

3. 2019 New - $34,500

Pricing seems pretty firm although I'm still working on getting the CPO and the 2018 New down a few bucks.

But assuming these prices and all being acceptable colors, which would you buy and why?

CPO, because previous owner took some of the depreciation already. Since you plan to sell in 2 years makes no sense to be the one to take the depreciation by buying new.

Define "good" appearance. That car should be closer to $27k.

toddnick

Passed Driver's Ed
2018 Price is High

I just bought a new 2018 autobahn manual last week.

MSRP - 36, 340
Purchase Price - 30,150 +TTL

Got KBB trade in value for my 2015 GTI and paid cash for the rest.

I figured that I could have gotten a 2019 similarly equipped for $33-34,000, to me the better deal was the 2018 at $30,000. If the difference was less than $2,500, I would have gone for the 2019.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
CPO, because previous owner took some of the depreciation already. Since you plan to sell in 2 years makes no sense to be the one to take the depreciation by buying new.

Define "good" appearance. That car should be closer to $27k.

"Good" means a couple of tiny rock chips in hood that can't be seen from 3 feet and a very tiny surface nick in windshield (passenger, low) that can't be seen from 1 foot. Otherwise as clean as new.

And, yes, should be 26.5/27 but this dealer isn't budging and I'd need to travel pretty far to find another 2018 CPO.

I am leaning CPO and would go there if either (i) no windshield nick (tiny but it bugs me) or (ii) under 27.

Thanks for the input.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought a new 2018 autobahn manual last week.

MSRP - 36, 340
Purchase Price - 30,150 +TTL

Got KBB trade in value for my 2015 GTI and paid cash for the rest.

I figured that I could have gotten a 2019 similarly equipped for $33-34,000, to me the better deal was the 2018 at $30,000. If the difference was less than $2,500, I would have gone for the 2019.

Good price. Yeah, lots of manuals but I want DSG. And I'm a bit picky on color (no red or white) which limits my choices. And, yes, I understand that the more things I want, the more I may have to pay!

Can you elaborate on why the 2019 is worth the extra, say $2400, to you?

thanks

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
"Good" means a couple of tiny rock chips in hood that can't be seen from 3 feet and a very tiny surface nick in windshield (passenger, low) that can't be seen from 1 foot. Otherwise as clean as new.

And, yes, should be 26.5/27 but this dealer isn't budging and I'd need to travel pretty far to find another 2018 CPO.

I am leaning CPO and would go there if either (i) no windshield nick (tiny but it bugs me) or (ii) under 27.

Thanks for the input.

I thought 2018 had the people's warranty that was way better than 3/36 most cars have, so why need CPO? CPO is worthless to you since you plan to sell in 2 years. It would still be under factory warranty then.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
They might make a deal to take away the CPO warranty.

And I’m trying to figure out what cpo would be like on an 18 with the 6/72k bumper to bumper they have already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnick

Passed Driver's Ed
2018 vs. 2019

The 2019 is worth significantly more just on value after you drive off the lot.

I just did KBB value for a 2017 Autobahn and a 2016 Autobahn with same options, miles and condition. The difference in value is almost exactly $2K just based on the model year.

Add in the value of extra 8hp you get on a 2019.

So about $2,500 gives me a better deal, and I paid about $3K less in the deal that I got.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

2. 2018 New - $33,500

3. 2019 New - $34,500

1. Was this a personal vehicle or a dealer demo? If this was a dealer demo, i would skip it. Ownership info would be reflected in vehicle history and when you are selling it in a couple of years, it might hurt the value if the buyer is diligent.

2. You might be able to negotiate a better deal on this one and this would be my option.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
The 2019 is worth significantly more just on value after you drive off the lot.

I just did KBB value for a 2017 Autobahn and a 2016 Autobahn with same options, miles and condition. The difference in value is almost exactly $2K just based on the model year.

Add in the value of extra 8hp you get on a 2019.

So about $2,500 gives me a better deal, and I paid about $3K less in the deal that I got.

No one cares about 8 hp... the 18 and 19 autobahn are pretty much the exact same car as far as I know. I went with the RE simply because I wanted the LEDs all the way around and the few other small things it has over the S, I also didn’t want a sunroof with the added weight and complaints I’ve read about the clearcoat, rattling, etc. I also don’t care about the leather/pleather seating, otherwise the 19 s imo is the best deal for your money.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all the input. My take on a couple of the issues raised:

1. I agree that CPO is worth very little to me given the 6 year warranty and my 2 year time frame - maybe it gives protection against buying a used car with ECU mods that might get TD1 flagged but I've seen stories going both ways.

2. Dealer refuses to remove CPO, claims he already paid VW for it and can't reverse it

3. I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned the new 7 speed DSG in 2019 as a value-add over the 2018. That - plus the slower depreciation hit on new 2019 vs new 2018 - has me leaning to 2019 if I go new. But then I see that 6K spread between 2019 and 2018 CPO and I'm back to where I started!!

Anyway, thanks for helping me kick it around. Also, any one bothered by the tiny windshield chip - very much on the surface with literally no cracking, thought it was dirt until I was able to feel it with my fingernail - but still surprised to see it on a CPO?

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for all the input. My take on a couple of the issues raised:

1. I agree that CPO is worth very little to me given the 6 year warranty and my 2 year time frame - maybe it gives protection against buying a used car with ECU mods that might get TD1 flagged but I've seen stories going both ways.

2. Dealer refuses to remove CPO, claims he already paid VW for it and can't reverse it

3. I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned the new 7 speed DSG in 2019 as a value-add over the 2018. That - plus the slower depreciation hit on new 2019 vs new 2018 - has me leaning to 2019 if I go new. But then I see that 6K spread between 2019 and 2018 CPO and I'm back to where I started!!

Anyway, thanks for helping me kick it around. Also, any one bothered by the tiny windshield chip - very much on the surface with literally no cracking, thought it was dirt until I was able to feel it with my fingernail - but still surprised to see it on a CPO?

I think, in fairness, that they do pay to have a car certified honestly, but I’m not sure how that works with all cars, no matter what... I assure you whatever they gave the person who traded it, plus certification still isn’t nearly as high as their price.

I do not recall, did you post your best price on a 2019 S ? Maybe you would be surprised at how much you can get one for if you search around. I did all of my shopping emailing and got a Rabbit for 29,368 with 6% Md sales tax and other fees all included... so OTD. I can’t see why you couldn’t get an S for 2k less at least.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, I know they pay to have the car certified. But I've had other dealers (Audi) remove the CPO before. Don't know whether VW allows that or not but dealer says no.

As for the "S" I want the fully adjustable power seats in the Autobahn - I'm old and my back appreciates the AB seats. I also like parking sensors because I squeeze into lots of city spaces.