GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1+

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I posted a few months ago on a blown engine tread (I think), that I would never get a tune because I was scared of turbo issues or any bad stuff, even though i have the G revision turbo. Today I caved in though, i went with Unitronic because my local tuning shop is a Unitronic dealer and since I plan on keeping the car semi long, I like that the Unitronic tune is less aggressive than APR and less boost heavy. I taked to a guy at the shop about shortening service intervals like spark plugs and dsg fluid changes and he said it was fine just do everything at factory intervals. What do you guys think? The thing I’m worried about most is the spark plugs, should I change them, any other tips?
BTW the tune is amazing, it’s raining today and it’s crazy how much more power there is, it’ll spin at 60mph+ in the rain, it’s a joke, can’t wait to try it when it’s dry.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Stock tires?

And curious as to why you chose 1+ over 1, if concerned about reliability etc?

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Oh and one more question, do you guys think that a dsg tune is necessary for longevity?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
At stage 1, I don’t believe so.

That said, I have both Uni ECU and TCU Stage 1. If I had to choose just 1, I’d go with the TCU tune. The enjoyment of proper shift points outweighs the added power, IMO.

Just do it!

But maybe get proper tires first...

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
At stage 1, I don’t believe so.

That said, I have both Uni ECU and TCU Stage 1. If I had to choose just 1, I’d go with the TCU tune. The enjoyment of proper shift points outweighs the added power, IMO.

Just do it!

But maybe get proper tires first...

Yea the TCU tune sounds awesome from what I’ve been reading, just don’t have another $500+ sitting around and yea some better tires would definitely help...lol:D

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
A stage 1 ECU from Uni is one of the best ways to spend 600 bucks. I've had it for 20k+ miles, love it.
I got a st.2 DSG from Uni as well because I wanted kickdown and automatic upshifts removed. It also improves the shift speed in manual mode (the only mode I drive in). Maybe I will go ECU st.2 eventually, so my DSG will be ready.

As people mentioned above, get better tires. I got the tune and new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+) around the same time, it's been great. Stock tires sucked badly with the stock firmware, I cannot imagine how bad they would be with a tune.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Its a great way to dip your toes into the water. 1+ is great, and even better when we have great access to 93. Where are you located? RDU area here.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I'm in Southern Pines (moore county) - but got my Uni Stage 1+ and Stage 2 done at Apex Tuning. Would definitely recommend them if you guys are looking for a shop.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I am about to pull the trigger on a Uni Stage 1+ (live in Chicagoland where 93 octane is plentiful) and my question is this: does anyone track their cars with the tune? I do several track days a season and plan on expanding that... will the engine tolerate a full day while tuned?

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I am about to pull the trigger on a Uni Stage 1+ (live in Chicagoland where 93 octane is plentiful) and my question is this: does anyone track their cars with the tune? I do several track days a season and plan on expanding that... will the engine tolerate a full day while tuned?

Probably not with a stock clutch.