GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas mileage drops in the cold

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
What kinda driving are you doing to get such high mileage? I'm lucky to get 300 when I drive like a grandma and the planets line up... Also I believe engines should be more efficient in the cold due to the denser air? Maybe its not the weather making the difference, instead it could be the winter formulated gas?

ashiun

Ready to race!
Where I'm from the gasoline composition/blend is different during winter. Our winter gas definitely gets lower mileage but is also cheaper. We actually know in advance when we switch between summer and winter gas.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
google "winter blend gas"

and warm up period is longer = richer fuel/air mix

and air density

your change is more than I would imagine but drop is normal

Haboob

Passed Driver's Ed
Because winter is boost weather, duh.

But yes, the winter blends are a bit different than summer blends. I've been getting a little less mileage unfortunately.

Gonna throw some 91 in for my trip tomorrow.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
aerodynamics and wind drag have a massive effect, especially in denser air... ever try driving in a 20 mile an hour head wind? fuel economy takes a huge hit... add some denser air on top and you could see up to a 5-10mpg drop on the normal route you take... this of course applies mostly to highway driving, where your drag is substantially higher (hence why high speeds also kill fuel economy)

but, most people don't care, only those crazy hyper-milers :D

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Winter blend fuel and the fact that every moving part in your car is cold and adds a lot of increased friction until it warms up by kinetic motion. Fluids are thicker when it's cold which means more effort to "move" the car and the working parts.

It happens to every car, every year if you live in a colder climate that experiences Winter.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
What is your actual MPG, hand calculated at the pump? I don't know why some people insist on referring to "miles per tank", which is very vague. You can't be sure you've used the exact same amount when you refill. Even if you are only off by 1-2 gallons between one tank and the next, that could mean a difference of 30-60 miles in your tank averages...

Other than that and what has already been mentioned, have you checked your tire pressures recently?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
What is your actual MPG, hand calculated at the pump? I don't know why some people insist on referring to "miles per tank", which is very vague. You can't be sure you've used the exact same amount when you refill. Even if you are only off by 1-2 gallons between one tank and the next, that could mean a difference of 30-60 miles in your tank averages...

Other than that and what has already been mentioned, have you checked your tire pressures recently?
good question!

Tsi7

Ready to race!

I don't think most people actually give a damn to hand calculate... hell, even knowing how much people do on a tank is impressive... most people just say "oh this car is so good on gas, 40 bucks last me two weeks, my old jeep used to cost me 120 bucks every week :rolleyes:"

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Jesus Christ how the hell are you getting 380-400 miles on a tank? I can barely get 250-260 miles out of my tank.

How do you drive? redline everytime or idling in traffic? I get 350-400 easily if all highway driving.. only time I get less then 300 is if i'm sitting in traffic driving in cold temps...

Last edited: