GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car and Driver: The 2019 Volkswagen Golf GTI Adds More Power and a Rabbit Edition

crazyrider

The real question is why would you go for an autobahn and not an R. Seems like a no brainier for a 3k difference.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had the same dilemma. but it was solved when I got my Autobahn for almost 7k off mrsp for $29k and some change. That discount put a lot of gap between the GTI and the R.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I paid a lot less than "invoice" for my GTI. The fact of the matter is, dealers don't like to deal on Rs while they practically give away GTIs. It's a much larger price difference than sticker, in practice.

The fact of the matter is, VW never offers any incentives whatsoever on the Golf R, while the majority of the "discounts" that most dealers offer are basically dealer cash or other incentives that they pass on to the consumer.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
$860 for the dynamic shocks and premium stereo sounds like a bargain. Reasonably confident the upgrade to an SE ove the Rabbit prob would be a deal breaker for me.

not in market so double moot.

Fmpro,

the upgrades I like on my 2017 Sport over the S are the LSD and upgraded lights = two very nice features

Mud

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I had the same dilemma. but it was solved when I got my Autobahn for almost 7k off mrsp for $29k and some change. That discount put a lot of gap between the GTI and the R.
That makes sense. I got my 17 SE at the end of the model year and got 7k off msrp. I thought that was mostly bc the new mk7.5 was coming out but I guess similar discounts are year round.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

IMMT

Once again, the limited edition gets the best wheels (Nogaro or Pretoria) and best features (pp, lp, cloth seats, no sunroof, kessy). If only they added fender, the Sport/Rabbit would be the best trim.

Highly, HIGHLY subjective.

I got the SE with the leather option because I can’t stand the cloth seats and I wanted a sunroof as well. I will agree with you on the wheels, though.

As for those potentially looking at new GTIs, now might be a good time to start. I just bought my 2018 SE three weeks ago before this info came out, and I still managed to get the car for about $2,000 under invoice ($27,300 for a TR GTI SE with leather, a six-speed, Monster Mats, wheel locks, and the auto-dimming rearview mirror).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I got my '18 R for under invoice.....

Good to know that you got a great deal on your R but thats not the case for most people out here. Its pretty obvious if you browse through “Post your deal” thread and Ordering section.

The real market price difference (including discounts) is still one of the main reasons why many people buy ABs over R.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Anyone know if the 7 Speed DSG is the Dry one that is being used in Europe? Because that thing is a turd.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

I think Volkswagen can keep adding 8hp every year for a few years without any changes to the engine, just by tuning software.

I like how they give you 8hp or so each year. They can do that for 10 yrs in a row with just the software. Clever marketing. It always has to be “new and improved.”

Are they really adding any horsepower? It seems to me that we've known for years that the Mk7 GTI's output has been closer to 235 hp from the beginning, as evidenced by many dyno plots. As a result, VW could simply state there's more horsepower without actually changing anything. The 2020 Mk7 may be advertised with 235 hp. But VW wouldn't LIE, would they? Cough-cough, Dieselgate. :p

Scott

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Hello,

Are they really adding any horsepower? It seems to me that we've known for years that the Mk7 GTI's output has been closer to 235 hp from the beginning, as evidenced by many dyno plots. As a result, VW could simply state there's more horsepower without actually changing anything. The 2020 Mk7 may be advertised with 235 hp. But VW wouldn't LIE, would they? Cough-cough, Dieselgate. :p

Scott

Well there’s that too. Make it 12 years then. ;)

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
What's the advantage of the new 7 speed DSG vs. the current 6 speed DSG? Maybe gas mileage? Anything else? Just curious.

Better highway fuel economy, taller gearing spread out over the first 4-5 gears for a little bit quicker acceleration with 5-7 being overdriven for fuel economy. Downside is more shifting.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It's only fuel economy...taller gearing does not equal quicker acceleration, quite the opposite. I think anything over 6 gears is a waste, there are 9 or 10 speed gearboxes out there and they are ridiculous.

I would never pay over 30k for a GTI...that's used R territory.