GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50k carbon cleaning mk7 R

Spooby

Ready to race!
[emoji23] haha I will try to fuse the files and make it one continuous video. Make take a bit

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

dc22

Ready to race!
So for those who dont have as many miles on their cars, what can we do to prevent this from happening? Catch-can?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
So for those who dont have as many miles on their cars, what can we do to prevent this from happening? Catch-can?

Catch cans have been proven on this car to barely do anything. Some have said it helps a little for them during hard braking and Cornering on track but most gave found nothing but water in them or nothing st all after running them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc22

Ready to race!
Catch cans have been proven on this car to barely do anything. Some have said it helps a little for them during hard braking and Cornering on track but most gave found nothing but water in them or nothing st all after running them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - good insight.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion

Drive it like you stole it. Or perhaps just put 100 dollars a year into a clean when needed account :)

I bought the 7/72 warranty for mine, so I figure once I get near the end of that warrant I'll just start having issues that require the dealer to look into cleaning :p

Spooby

Ready to race!
Pretty much yeah, Italian tune ups, good oil, and dont let your car just idle for extended periods. The humble mechanic has a good video on carbon build up. I think Paul from shop DAP did a video too.

GolfcaRt

I just had to replace my intake manifold at 45k miles and my valves looked almost as bad as the OP’s. Did the walnut blast while they had the manifold off. Shop suggested chevron Techron can help keep the valves clean once they’re already clean, but won’t clean them once they’re dirty. I have yet to try a bottle of concentrate plus but I was thinking about doing this soon, if for nothing else than to see if it might clean up the injectors and give me a bump in fuel economy.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Nicely done Spooby! Thanks for taking the time on the video. Great information; particularly that the fuel rails do not come out with the injectors. Taking the fan out is also a big, big tip. The manual does not call for that, but it should as that is brilliant. Excellent pointers on the video; accessing the crank bolt, etc. Probably the best instructional video I have seen on this job and I have done some research. Bookmarked for future reference.

I like this idea of using a radiator hose to control walnut fallout (at 1:40 or so), poke a hole at elbow for spray wand; brilliant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONtZ2WAodk&t=107s Your wand looked like it did the job pretty well.

Based on what I have seen I am going to hold off until 60K. All equipment is fairly reasonable at Harbor Freight, and neighbor has compressor.

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
Just to add - I've done DIY carbon cleaning with a HF blaster using a setup very similar to those above. For the vacuum, I used a nozzle attachment with a hole drilled in it, and used a heat gun to get the shape close to the intake shape. This was for a R56 Mini S, but still might be an idea that's helpful for a VW.

Spooby

Ready to race!
Nicely done Spooby! Thanks for taking the time on the video. Great information; particularly that the fuel rails do not come out with the injectors. Taking the fan out is also a big, big tip. The manual does not call for that, but it should as that is brilliant. Excellent pointers on the video; accessing the crank bolt, etc. Probably the best instructional video I have seen on this job and I have done some research. Bookmarked for future reference.

I like this idea of using a radiator hose to control walnut fallout (at 1:40 or so), poke a hole at elbow for spray wand; brilliant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HONtZ2WAodk&t=107s Your wand looked like it did the job pretty well.

Based on what I have seen I am going to hold off until 60K. All equipment is fairly reasonable at Harbor Freight, and neighbor has compressor.
Thanks I really appreciate it, anything I'll can do to help [emoji4]. Really wish I'd have taken more video and been a little more descriptive. But I actually used a Subaru intake piece for my vacuum and compressor lines. It screwed into the existing manifold bolt holes so it didnt move. That piece is a bit pricey though so the vacuum piece heatgun idea isn't a bad route.