GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top tier fuel a cleaning additives

Jdreg

Ready to race!
I’ve been doing some reading and discovered what could be another reason to use premium, fuel unrelated to mileage and performance improvement. I was aware that all grades are top tier at a top tier supplier, but I did not know that premium can also contain an even higher levels of cleaning additives. This could be very important in direct injection engines prone to carbon buildup. Does anyone have any input or experience on this. Please don’t make this about octane again.
Thanks

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
interested as well

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
It helps, but ultimately since no fuel (or very little) touches the part of the valves that are prone to carbon build up, nothing can stop it from eventually happening. This probably will delay it for a bit.

I use top tier because it does seem to help a bit, but it also keeps the entire fuel system clean.

Unscientific evidence I have: My 2009 MK5 GTi is at 91K miles and I've used top tier fuel and so far no carbon issues that I am aware of.

Since you should be running premium for best results, why not run a top tier brand?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I don't know that it would help with carbon build up. DI engines build up carbon because the fuel never hits the back of the intake valves to clean them. More detergent won't help if it never gets to where the build up is.

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Well I've only been running BP -93 since I walnut blasted at 40k. I plan on checking valves again (boroscope) after I get catch can installed to see if I need to blast them again. Let you know

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
If our cars were port injected gas additives would help with carbon build up. Unfortunately since no gas is sprayed through the intake runners directed injected cars will still experience carbon build up. There in no getting around removing the intake and having to clean the valves every 30 to 70k that I have seen. The only benefit I see to top gear gas is for cleaning the valves and fuel injectors.

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I've only been running BP -93 since I walnut blasted at 40k. I plan on checking valves again (boroscope) after I get catch can installed to see if I need to blast them again. Let you know

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

May I ask how your valves looked at 40K before the cleaning? Were you having idle/misfire issues or something? Definitely interested in your findings on this, thanks!

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
I’ve been doing some reading and discovered what could be another reason to use premium, fuel unrelated to mileage and performance improvement. I was aware that all grades are top tier at a top tier supplier, but I did not know that premium can also contain an even higher levels of cleaning additives. This could be very important in direct injection engines prone to carbon buildup. Does anyone have any input or experience on this. Please don’t make this about octane again.
Thanks
1) Don't assume that more is better. Have you seen any evidence of this, other than anecdotal internet lore? You don't necessarily need more, you just need enough.

2) Don't assume that all top tier premium contains more cleaning additives than regular. You'll notice that no fuel brands ever give you any details on how much cleaning additive they actually use.

3) As others have noted in this thread, carbon buildup in direct injection engines is a different animal.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Some of you need to get educated on what Top Tier fuel is. Most Euro car companies specifically recommend it and were part of the team that helped create the formulations, etc.

I am not going to post a bunch of links, (do your own research) but VW states using top tier fuel does combat carbon build up (on the valves) to a degree. Also there is a lot research on what a top tier formulation is and non-top tier fuel does NOT contain the same cleaning agents.

As alwasy, the internet has a wealth of information, but do whatever you see fit for your situation.

Last edited:

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Those additives can help keep the injectors - piston tops clean & that's a good benefit. But it isn't going to help keep carbon off the intake valves. I add a bottle of Chevron Techron every 5,000 miles. My favorite snake oil. ;)

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
I'm still planning to punch through my intake runners at the port injection blanks, and use CRC intake valve cleaner, or the like, frequently. Also to be used for inspection, and I'll see about the effects of PCV routing.