GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI revealed in Australia

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The reason to push autos is to remove control from drivers, and to foster the autonomous vehicle paradigm, no matter how fanciful and farcical the idea is, or how much it conflicts with reality.

RicHSAD

Passed Driver's Ed
That's a man-child if I have ever seen one lol.

It's really unfortunate for those who prefer manuals, but yes, the writing is on the wall sadly. The take rate on autos is just higher these days and there's undoubtedly a lot development and manufacturing related savings to be made by offering only one choice of transmission. That's still excluding all the other practical benefits such as better performance and better fuel economy.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Still wouldn't take a new manual car, not a fan of the new gearboxes.

I hear you. I think it's a symptom of the lower levels of engineering focus being directed at manuals, too; they are not putting in the effort to make MT versions as integrated, seamless, or well-balanced as the AT models, because they know it doesn't matter. For the folks who want a manual, the fact it exists is enough. you see this in a ton of reviews, where the reviewers detail numerous flaws or shortcomings in the manual transmission they are driving, but still laud the fact that it's there. I can understand how this cognitive dissonance happens--I drive a manual myself, and yet I really do not like the Golf R's manual gearbox even after the mods I did to the shifting. It's another reason I'm not too upset about probably never having another manual; the one's I've driven in the past twenty years, since my Acura GS-R, have all been lackluster.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Still wouldn't take a new manual car, not a fan of the new gearboxes.

What!? lol
What is not to like?
Rowing through the gears on my 915 tranny takes some work, and is satisfying.
But once I get into the GTI it makes me realize how far M/T's have come.
So smooth and buttery, and no guessing to find 4th!
Never have to worry about money shifting the GTI.

AND...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...-for-the-billionth-time/ar-BBLzXRh?li=BBnbfcL

One feature that an automatic currently does not have hah.
Bonus points for being (what I believe to be) a MK6 shift knob?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
What!? lol
What is not to like?
Rowing through the gears on my 915 tranny takes some work, and is satisfying.
But once I get into the GTI it makes me realize how far M/T's have come.
So smooth and buttery, and no guessing to find 4th!
Never have to worry about money shifting the GTI.

AND...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...-for-the-billionth-time/ar-BBLzXRh?li=BBnbfcL

One feature that an automatic currently does not have hah.
Bonus points for being (what I believe to be) a MK6 shift knob?

Seriously? You don't get the fact I would rather drive your 915 (or more realistically for me a MX-5 or S2000) than a MK7 MT? I thought that was pretty clear and easy to understand.

Last edited:

greens

Ready to race!
Seriously? You don't get the fact I would rather drive your 915 (or more realistically for me a MX-5 or S2000) than a MK7 MT? I thought that was pretty clear and easy to understand.

I don't get it either. Owned a S2000 for four years and have had 3 MX-5 over the past 20 years. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones but I've had zero issues with my MK7.5 MT, especially after removing the clutch spring. It's actually borderline too smooth as I'm so used to that slight snick mechanical feel of the Aisin gearboxes.

Could it be improvements were made to the 7.5 not found in the 7? Not sure but I've had zero issues finding gears and engaging and disengaging the clutch.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T

Well, unless I missed it, you never stated why you did not like new gear boxes and why you seem to prefer "older" or different gear boxes to the MK7's.
And that is what I was trying to understand...what it was about them that you didn't like.
I know the "faults" of the MK7's tranny and clutch, but that wouldn't stop me from buying another one.
However next time around I will strongly be considering a DSG just for practicality purposes (AKA my 50 mile commute in stop and go traffic) and save the M/T for the fun weekend car.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I don't like new MT gearboxes. If I'm gonna drive a MT it would be an older one over a newer one because I prefer the feel. I like the clunks and struggling to find the right gear. It is all part of the experience to me. It's not about having to modify the MK7 trans to get it to feel better, or about issues with the MK7. It was just a general opinion. To be fair I guess it could be a VW thing, their clutches have always felt strange compared to Audi. To be fair I can't think of a single new car I would get a MT in, that I would DD. For a WW there are lots, but I would rather get an older one and spend the difference in mods.

So basically by saying "not a fan of new gearboxes", I mean that I am a fan of older gearboxes. We all have different opinions on the matter. I guess there wasn't enough DSG vs Manual stuff, so the MT guys turned to infighting. :p

Last edited:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Gearboxes can be very personal things, in terms of whether you like 'em or not. I do, though, see a constant thread in most reviews of manual transmission cars these days, and that is a definite sense that the reviewers are not happy with most manuals. Then again, they're not happy with most steering, etc., so maybe it's just part of their schtick.