GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI revealed in Australia

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Not picking on you directly adam but this is pure irony and perfectly encompasses the entire dilemma and debate.

One generation still knows how to slow down and smell the roses. The other could care less. No one is necessarily right or wrong here but forward progress isn't always a positive thing.

This seems apropos to the current discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00FDR1E0zvE

Thanks lol, I thoroughly enjoyed that. And I'm honestly not trying to pick on anyone either. I'm just defending manual transmissions. Yet some seem to think it's their duty to tell me how wrong I am because the automotive media world has told them it must be so. I mean JFC, there was a time when consumer demand actually drove product development. But I guess now, we must all just love what we don't want, because some millennial twats, regurgitating media horse dung, said so! But that appears to be the real ends of this screwed up society - people incapable of thinking critically, of forming original theses, instead just programmed what to want, what to expect, what to think. Lol. Yea.

EDIT: I just want to add, that what really gets me, is how and why ANYONE that considers themself a car enthusiast, would ever HONESTLY argue to KILL OFF manual transmissions? Just generally, how can you love and appreciate all things automotive, yet genuinely be in favor of, or defend, the extinction of the manual transmission? It's absurd on it's face. Even if you are a manual driver that concedes some benefits to automatics, it's no reason to advocate getting rid of them.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
Seriously, wtf kind of garbage are you smoking? Or I guess the more appropriate question for GenZ, what kinda pharma garbage are you popping?

Emotional engagement has sold every product on earth since the dawn of enterprise. I mean, get you head out of your ***.

You actively refuse to get it, don't you.

Your type of "emotional engagement" has gone the way of the horse and buggy. It's yours, you own it, but there's zero money to be made by satisfying you and your ilk. Rather, it COSTS money to do so.

Acknowledge that you and your type in this regard are as rare as hen's teeth. Then follow the business logic from there. Maybe you'll understand.

Otherwise, you sound like Veruca Salt whining about how you want a golden ticket NOW! and expecting the world to respond like her father did.

adam1991

Banned
Ok internet warrior. Gee, you sound like you've got some serious insider info there!

I think I've probably been on this planet a lot longer than you. I'm not worried about manuals disappearing. I'm more concerned with the state of young people's minds.

I doubt that.

You truly, truly refuse to acknowledge the world that's going on around you.

adam1991

Banned
The reason to push autos is to remove control from drivers, and to foster the autonomous vehicle paradigm, no matter how fanciful and farcical the idea is, or how much it conflicts with reality.

Watch out--your foil hat needs tucked back in on the side there.

Seriously, you are giving FAR too much conspiracy to the whole thing. You're overthinking it by FAR.

Quite simply, the car makers exist to MAKE MONEY. The reason behind EVERYTHING they do is to MAKE MONEY. To maximize profits.

If you see them "pushing auto trans," it's because that's what MAKES THEM MONEY.

They are very simple creatures, far simpler than you're willing to imagine.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Well, ignorant folks who've never known the joys of a thing, applauding its demise. Apropos indeed. Enjoy the circle jerk.

adam1991

Banned
Thanks lol, I thoroughly enjoyed that. And I'm honestly not trying to pick on anyone either. I'm just defending manual transmissions. Yet some seem to think it's their duty to tell me how wrong I am because the automotive media world has told them it must be so. I mean JFC, there was a time when consumer demand actually drove product development.

Are you saying it's not?

Your head is so far in the sand, you can't see anything clearly. You actively refuse to admit that consumer demand, on the global scale, is not for manual transmissions.

Carmakers don't exist to make one-offs for you, no matter how loudly you scream "But I want it NOW!" in your best Veruca Salt voice. YOU are not "consumer demand". The aggregate is. And the aggregate is a complex thing full of all sorts of "demands". Many of those demands conflict. A good automaker sorts it all out and offers a good product that sells to that aggregate and makes money.

But I guess now, we must all just love what we don't want

what YOU don't want. Don't imagine the millions and millions of car buyers in this country or this world are like you.

To do so is to be willfully ignorant of the facts.

, because some millennial twats, regurgitating media horse dung, said so!

Ah, name calling. Is that what you've devolved to when you're not getting what you personally want?

But that appears to be the real ends of this screwed up society - people incapable of thinking critically, of forming original theses, instead just programmed what to want, what to expect, what to think. Lol. Yea.

So let me get this straight: anyone, any population, that disagrees with you is "screwed up" and "incapable of thinking critically" and of "forming original theses".

Is that true now.

EDIT: I just want to add, that what really gets me, is how and why ANYONE that considers themself a car enthusiast, would ever HONESTLY argue to KILL OFF manual transmissions?

It sure is a good thing you don't have claustrophobia, living in that teeny tiny world you seem to live in.

Just generally, how can you love and appreciate all things automotive, yet genuinely be in favor of, or defend, the extinction of the manual transmission? It's absurd on it's face. Even if you are a manual driver that concedes some benefits to automatics, it's no reason to advocate getting rid of them.

The world is full of complex choices, something that you either (a) can't grasp, or (b) refuse to acknowledge. When faced with complex choices, people make the best decision.

You, on the other hand, make one decision DESPITE the complexities surrounding your choice. You make one single decision--"must have manual transmission"--in a vacuum, with no regard to anything else that's happening, and then you call names when others dare to disagree with you.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The reason to push autos is to remove control from drivers, and to foster the autonomous vehicle paradigm, no matter how fanciful and farcical the idea is, or how much it conflicts with reality. It's political agenda, at best. Sure there are less manual drivers all the time, but the death of the manual, and extinction of manual drivers, is greatly exaggerated. Anyway, have fun believing everything you're told. .

I'm not sure why you're being so hostile, here. I wasn't impugning your motives, or your ideas. I was merely pointing out that there are empirical reasons, driven by business considerations, behind the demise manual transmissions. I'm not for a moment denying that there are a lot of different ways to look at this phenomenon. Certainly, there is a very strong lobby that has always hated cars and what they stand for, and which views driving as something to be minimized and, if possible, eliminated. No argument there. There are also a lot of current drivers who agree with that, though, folks who live in congested urban corridors and for whom driving is neither fun nor interesting, only an expensive hassle. They drive because there are no reasonable alternatives, whereas most of the folks here would probably drive even if they had alternatives.

But to imply that I am somehow being duped by unknown forces with shadowy agendas because I point out that companies are not making as much money off of manuals as they are off of automatics seems a bit odd. I mean, it's about as established a fact as you can find that the vast majority of American drivers prefer automatic transmissions, and have since they damn things were introduced (by Detroit in an effort to expand car ownership beyond the saturated and nearly all-male market they had in the twenties and thirties).

adam1991

Banned
Well, ignorant folks who've never known the joys of a thing, applauding its demise. Apropos indeed. Enjoy the circle jerk.

How can you say that anyone who is OK with the demise of the manual trans "has never known the joys of it"???

That is an insane assumption.

On the other hand, maybe those who are OK with its demise have a bigger view of the world and welcome the things that come along with automatic transmissions.

When one door closes, another one opens. But you refuse to see that. You see a door closing, and demand that the world accommodate you by opening it again. For you.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
News flash, driving a manual does not make you a better driver or more of an enthusiast, sorry bros. :eek: Might make you feel like one though! I know I do every time I drive a manual car. Still wouldn't take a new manual car, not a fan of the new gearboxes.

Edit: man I fucked up news... the poor s got forgotten, that's not good.

Last edited:

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
How can you say that anyone who is OK with the demise of the manual trans "has never known the joys of it"???

That is an insane assumption.

On the other hand, maybe those who are OK with its demise have a bigger view of the world and welcome the things that come along with automatic transmissions.

When one door closes, another one opens. But you refuse to see that. You see a door closing, and demand that the world accommodate you by opening it again. For you.

Insane assumption? It's logical on its face. I'm convinced you must be on drugs. You clearly have not known the joys of an MT, or you are just seriously demented. I have no problem with ATs existing. You for some reason however want, or have no problem with, seeing the MT extinguished. Go ahead and have your last words. I can't take you seriously. I've said my part. Done with this thread.

adam1991

Banned
Again, that is an INSANE assumption.

And how DARE you declare that you know what I've experienced or not.

Oh, "demented"? Again, there you go with the name-calling--all because you're not getting your way. Do you think that you calling names will cause the world to go your way?

You're behaving like a nut case on this subject.

It's true, I have no problem with the MT going away. I see a much bigger picture than you seem to.

I think the world can agree, it's glad that you're finished spouting insane things and name-calling.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
New flash, driving a manual does not make you a better driver or more of an enthusiast, sorry bros. :eek: Might make you feel like one though! I know I do every time I drive a manual car. Still wouldn't take a new manual car, not a fan of the new gearboxes.

The biggest benefit for me if they drop the MT is that it'll get rid of 99% all these MT vs DSG threads overnight. Can't circle jerk how great the MT is if it the only option is an automatic muahahaha.

Honestly though drive what you like and let others do the same without being a dick.

I love the new colour, actually more than my lapiz blue.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk