GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time to do 40k DSG service.

Slimshiesty

Ready to race!
Anyone have an amount of time it takes to do the DSG service yourself?
Meaning, how long did it take you to do it?

How long should it take for a dealer to do the same?

Thanks!

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
i seem to recall it taking about 3-4 hours to DIY doing and drain-measure-refill method on my old dsg car.
can't recall the chargeable hours for dealership. Cost for DSG service i seem runs about $400 depending on dealership rates. Consult your dealership for accurate numbers.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ink6ZpYqPQk

mk7 is the same as mk6 in this regard

Work is shown in the video but the time it takes for the fluid to flow (out and in) seems to be the longest part. They are quoting 5-7 mins per bottle (5 bottles).

Leaving the new fluid out in the sun can thin it slightly, speeding up the process.

I've seen estimates from an hour and a half to two and a half.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
It was exceptionally easy for me to do. I left the car on the floor of my flat garage as you can reach everything you need to without lifting the car. Removed airbox, battery tray, then opened the filter. It is best to do this after the car has sat overnight to let the filter drain so you don't get a big mess. Took the filter out then went under the car and opened up the drain bolt. Let it all drain, then remove the snorkel and wait some more. Once thats all done I used this fluid/filter kit and this funnel to do the change. The end nozzle of the funnel fits directly into the filter port so you can fill it from the top very easily. I put in the full bottles then installed the new filter/airbox/battery and let the car idle for about 5 minutes while switching through park/reverse/drive/neutral etc. Using OBDeleven I monitored the transmission fluid temp and when it hit 35c-45c I removed the main drain plug WITH THE CAR RUNNING and let the excess drain till it was a light trickle. Once thats done close everything up and use OBDeleven to do a transmission recalibration (I just used one of the apps for 10 credits). Thats all there is to it. Took about the same time as an oil change and was just as easy.

Edit: If you use that funnel, pull out the mesh filter in the base of the funnel. This will allow the fluid to go in much faster. It only took around 2 minutes per bottle.

Edit 2: Total cost for me at the end was around 120 bucks vs the 350 a private shop quoted vs 750 the dealer quoted. Very glad I did it myself.

Slimshiesty

Ready to race!
Great Input guys, much impressed by the DIY guys!

I was going to do it myself.
I think the kit from Deutsche was around $120-$149, cant remember exactly.
I do have a 2 year old son, and a wife who works 2 jobs, so i thought this might be too much of a chore for me.

However i did get a coupon in the mail from my Dealer, $169 for the DSG service.
So i thought i would do that and not have to hassle with disposing of fluid proprly when finished, or waiting till my package arrives to get started.. im @ 45k right now.

Took it in for my scheduled DSG service, and was told it would be ready the same day(Friday).

They never called, and once it was getting close to closing time i got a hold of them.
They found a small coolant leak from the thermostat housing, and were replacing it under warranty.

I thought WTH is taking so long to do this.
I could change the Thermostat and gasket within an hour. and it should take about an hour for the DSG service.

I got a call 30 minutes ago it is ready for pick up.
Friday, Saturday, and half of monday.. going to give someone a piece of my mind!

Thanks again guys, most helpful!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Great Input guys, much impressed by the DIY guys!

I was going to do it myself.
I think the kit from Deutsche was around $120-$149, cant remember exactly.
I do have a 2 year old son, and a wife who works 2 jobs, so i thought this might be too much of a chore for me.

However i did get a coupon in the mail from my Dealer, $169 for the DSG service.
So i thought i would do that and not have to hassle with disposing of fluid proprly when finished, or waiting till my package arrives to get started.. im @ 45k right now.

Took it in for my scheduled DSG service, and was told it would be ready the same day(Friday).

They never called, and once it was getting close to closing time i got a hold of them.
They found a small coolant leak from the thermostat housing, and were replacing it under warranty.

I thought WTH is taking so long to do this.
I could change the Thermostat and gasket within an hour. and it should take about an hour for the DSG service.

I got a call 30 minutes ago it is ready for pick up.
Friday, Saturday, and half of monday.. going to give someone a piece of my mind!

Thanks again guys, most helpful!

I'll pay you $200 if you can replace the thermostat in an hour and bleed the cooling system, but if you go even one second over an hour, you own me $10,000. Sound like a good bet? Thermostat replacement bills out at 1.9 hours compared to the .8 of a DSG service... Also just because they have your car, doesn't mean they were working on it the whole time. Most of that time it was just sitting around. If I were you I would simmer down quite a bit buddy.

I don't think I could even do the thermostat in an hour, and I've done like 5...

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
It was exceptionally easy for me to do. I left the car on the floor of my flat garage as you can reach everything you need to without lifting the car. Removed airbox, battery tray, then opened the filter. It is best to do this after the car has sat overnight to let the filter drain so you don't get a big mess. Took the filter out then went under the car and opened up the drain bolt. Let it all drain, then remove the snorkel and wait some more. Once thats all done I used this fluid/filter kit and this funnel to do the change. The end nozzle of the funnel fits directly into the filter port so you can fill it from the top very easily. I put in the full bottles then installed the new filter/airbox/battery and let the car idle for about 5 minutes while switching through park/reverse/drive/neutral etc. Using OBDeleven I monitored the transmission fluid temp and when it hit 35c-45c I removed the main drain plug WITH THE CAR RUNNING and let the excess drain till it was a light trickle. Once thats done close everything up and use OBDeleven to do a transmission recalibration (I just used one of the apps for 10 credits). Thats all there is to it. Took about the same time as an oil change and was just as easy.

Edit: If you use that funnel, pull out the mesh filter in the base of the funnel. This will allow the fluid to go in much faster. It only took around 2 minutes per bottle.

Edit 2: Total cost for me at the end was around 120 bucks vs the 350 a private shop quoted vs 750 the dealer quoted. Very glad I did it myself.
Thank you for the write up

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Slimshiesty

Ready to race!
I'll pay you $200 if you can replace the thermostat in an hour and bleed the cooling system, but if you go even one second over an hour, you own me $10,000. Sound like a good bet? Thermostat replacement bills out at 1.9 hours compared to the .8 of a DSG service... Also just because they have your car, doesn't mean they were working on it the whole time. Most of that time it was just sitting around. If I were you I would simmer down quite a bit buddy.

I don't think I could even do the thermostat in an hour, and I've done like 5...

First off, the car was the first to go in First thing friday morning "Scheduled 7:30 a.m.".
So according to your estimate 1.9 + .8 = 2.7 hours.
The shop is open 7:30 am to 5pm, So 7:30am friday to 11.30am monday,
equals 23 hours to do less than 3 hours work. (Friday, Saturday, closed sunday, Monday)

I guess i should not be upset, when i had an oil change "scheduled",
Which took 5 hours to do... maybe i should have known not to take it back to them.

And something is quite wrong with your math, if im only going to get $200 or you get 10k....you must work for a Dealer. :)

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
That's when you are scheduled to drop the car off, not when work gets started. Trust me, my car has spent a combined total of over a month for things that only took a total of 5 hours to fix. That's just how the dealership works.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Mad? They found and fixed a leaking Tstat so you wouldn't have to bring it in again. That would have cost you 2 full days even if they got it in and did the work promptly same day (1 for DSG and 1 for tstat). It's possible they had to wait on a part since tstats are pretty common. Might have needed to overnight the gasket, who knows. Saturday's are also EXTREMELY busy as everyone is off work trying to get their car fixed. I think you should step back and reassess before going in and giving someone a piece of your mind.

Slimshiesty

Ready to race!
Well, I did take advise and went in calmly.
I talked to my service adviser, who told me he was sorry for the delay.

Was told, my tech was fired that friday. They had to call in a tech who had the day scheduled off.

Was told the fired tech was not doing things properly, half assed i was told.

Paid my bill, Thanked my adviser, got in my car, only to find grease smudges on the steering wheel, and on my seat.
Grabbed a towel, clean it up, and talked to my adviser again. He apologized.
Said he is not sure what tech did it.

Got back in my car started it up, only to hear and see the service message pop up and chime.

Back to my adviser, he cringed when i asked him if it could be reset.. said its not done huh? got a tech over to do it. Took an extra 30 minutes just to get that done.

I think if i have to take it back to a dealer, i will go to the one on the other side of town.

I appreciate all the comments.
Thanks to you all.

adam1991

Banned
I once got a Honda back with the oil change indicator still lit.

I work in an industry that has service technicians, and I've known many of them over the years. Some are stellar, some are really bad, and most are just average, doing the job and going home at night.

I want the guy who lives his job and takes it seriously. I've had a few of those on the Honda side. I don't know any yet on the VW side. I do have an indy shop around the corner, right next door to a huge dealer of European cars, including VW. At least I have options.

Mk7gtifl

Ready to race!
Did it together with my oil change, checked the other dealership in town and they had service coupons, came out to $400 for both