GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R vs 2018 M240 Xdrive

twisted42

Just wondering if anyone has cross shopped these and what your thoughts were.

I haven't really been able to drive the R yet. Dealer let me run it around the block in 'eco' mode and while I liked it it didn't really help justify spending 40K on it.
The BMW dealer let me run the 240... hard. Was a great drive and that engine had pull for days. Obviously you are giving up some real world functionality but it was a blast to drive. That said, it was 53K

The big thing is not really being able to drive the R. It is hard to decide to spend $$ on a car when you can't drive it. I can't even really check out the steering as he cautioned me about turning to hard etc etc etc.

Didn't know if anyone was in the same boat.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Let you run it around the block in eco mode, cautioned you about turning too hard...that is ridiculous.

I can't believe you even got into the car with those stipulations. Should have just laughed in his face and walked out.

That is some outlandish shit for a Volkswagen dealership. R is definitely a nice car, but gtfo with this no test drive or limited test drive bullshit.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Ya, find a different vw dealer.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I'd be interested in hearing what you feel about both cars after you get a real test drive in the R. Looking forward, one of the cars I'd think about as a replacement for my Golf is the M240 xDrive. I really don't want to mess with RWD here in mountains of frozen Yankeeland, and there aren't too many small, AWD performance cars out there (or at least small-ish; an A5 coupe is about as big as I could go).

I'd be really interested in how you felt about the interiors. One of my qualms about the BMW (in addition to the price, but that's a given) is that while the inside seems nice enough, it pales in comparison to, say, the Audi or Mercedes interiors (talking A4/A5 and C300 here, sort of apples to apples cost wise). I realize with the M240 you are paying for that sweet engine, mostly, but I so love the form-factor/look of that car that I might be able to overlook its Spartan interior if it wasn't too heinous.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Ya if you’re gonna buy an m2 get the one coming out this year, it gets the m3 motor!!! I feel bad for anyone who bought an m2 already, the transplanted motor is really a huge upgrade both performance wise and apparently it’s more emission friendly, the real reason the m2 gets it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/contrast-and-compare-2019-bmw-m2-competition-priced

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2...aster-stiffercleaner-official-photos-and-info

Otherwise I’m in agreement the m240 has more potential performance wise than the old n55 m2 motor.

Last edited:

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Ya if you’re gonna buy an m2 get the one coming out this year, it gets the m3 motor!!! I feel bad for anyone who bought an m2 already, the transplanted motor is really a huge upgrade both performance wise and apparently it’s more emission friendly, the real reason the m2 gets it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/contrast-and-compare-2019-bmw-m2-competition-priced

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2...aster-stiffercleaner-official-photos-and-info

Otherwise I’m in agreement the m240 has more potential performance wise than the old n55 m2 motor.

That car starts at $60K or $20K more than the R.

OP: If you're seriously looking at a car in the $53K price range, PLEASE go and test drive a Camaro SS 1LE. You can get a 1SS for $45K with the 1LE package or a 2SS for $50K with the 1LE package. It is a stellar car.

That being said, if you really are interested in actually being able to drive the R, as others have said, go to a different dealer.
I'm not sure how far you are from Wilmington DE, but Smith VW is a phenomenal dealership. You can get your car tuned before you even pick it up from them. It would be worth the trip and I know they have a white 2018 R in stock because I was there on Monday.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion

OP: If you're seriously looking at a car in the $53K price range, PLEASE go and test drive a Camaro SS 1LE. You can get a 1SS for $45K with the 1LE package or a 2SS for $50K with the 1LE package. It is a stellar car.

Ah, to live where RWD for a daily driver is possible. Though I still wouldn't get a Camaro. I stood next to one (a pace car in the Indy 500 museum, of all places) and that thing is frickin' huge. I don't think, honestly, it would fit in my garage. At least, not with much room to spare. And I literally can't see out of it. But it looks great and no one can deny the engineering and performance.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Ah, to live where RWD for a daily driver is possible. Though I still wouldn't get a Camaro. I stood next to one (a pace car in the Indy 500 museum, of all places) and that thing is frickin' huge. I don't think, honestly, it would fit in my garage. At least, not with much room to spare. And I literally can't see out of it. But it looks great and no one can deny the engineering and performance.

They are truly the best bang for the buck ATM. Considering how well it handles directly from the factory and how quick it is, it's tough to beat for sure.
Visibility isn't great, but neither is looking out of most supercars if you think about it, save the 720S.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion

That being said, if you really are interested in actually being able to drive the R, as others have said, go to a different dealer.
I'm not sure how far you are from Wilmington DE, but Smith VW is a phenomenal dealership. You can get your car tuned before you even pick it up from them. It would be worth the trip and I know they have a white 2018 R in stock because I was there on Monday.

Right. But only 6-7 more than the m240, and you’d probably get damn near all of that back when ya finally did dump/trade it. And if the op needs awd then I suppose neither the m2 or Camaro would work for him anyway. But really there is no comparing the 2019 m2 to the ss, as a complete package, not just performance, after all gm still designed the interior lol, a better comparison would be the 2018 mustang which I’d personally take over the ss any day. And it’s not that the Camaro’s platform, engine, suspension and price aren’t excellent, it’s that it’s so damn ugly, especially the front end on the brand new one, really what were they thinking.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
If you have vacation time built up the m240i has European delivery.

Get the car a tire a huge discount and a nice trip to boot.

Yeah, if you don’t need 4 doors the M240i all day every day.

Golf R isn’t in the same league.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
+1 on Smith Volkswagen and if you go,talk to Arno Kissell.