GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vibrant Resonator to APR DP with Aftermarket CBE

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Hi guys,
I have tried to be a good person and researched and PM'd the most knowledgeable but now I must reach out to the masses.

I just got the APR cat back system installed, mated to my APR DP, which is non-resonated. The kit is beautiful and I'm not getting rid of it, but I'd like to reduce some noise, which I will or will not say is drone or boom.

Anyway, my question is: does anyone have experience adding a Vibrant 17950 resonator to the midpipe portion of the APR downpipe? Is there enough room? Is this even possible?

This would obviously be way less expensive than buying a new resonated DP. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I keep going back and forth on playing with the sound of this car:(

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
I added a 3” vibrant ultra quiet to a Neuspeed DP + catback to try and reduce bad drone noise and it did nothing. I went with a BCS catback to fix the drone. BCS has a straight through resonator pipe that is based on the famous Helmholtz physicist and people swear by it. I would start with it if you want to sacrifice you catback and try to take the drone out.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2, DP & BCS Exhaust

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I added a 3” vibrant ultra quiet to a Neuspeed DP + catback to try and reduce bad drone noise and it did nothing. I went with a BCS catback to fix the drone. BCS has a straight through resonator pipe that is based on the famous Helmholtz physicist and people swear by it. I would start with it if you want to sacrifice you catback and try to take the drone out.

'16 MK7 R Manual

What vibrant part number? The make quite a few resonators.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Hi guys,
I have tried to be a good person and researched and PM'd the most knowledgeable but now I must reach out to the masses.

I just got the APR cat back system installed, mated to my APR DP, which is non-resonated. The kit is beautiful and I'm not getting rid of it, but I'd like to reduce some noise, which I will or will not say is drone or boom.

Anyway, my question is: does anyone have experience adding a Vibrant 17950 resonator to the midpipe portion of the APR downpipe? Is there enough room? Is this even possible?

This would obviously be way less expensive than buying a new resonated DP. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I keep going back and forth on playing with the sound of this car:(

Is the drone or boom happening about 3k rpm? If you don't have it already, then maybe try the AWE Switchpath remote and drive with the valves closed. I would rather go this route then adding a resonator since I wouldn't want to modify a quality system for when I part out.

Just how I look at things.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I have the Vibrant 17930, it's the 2.5" equivalent of the 17950. Worked very well at reducing the drone was getting after installing my DP. Granted it took a little to fully break in (like any exhaust component) but the difference was very noticeable the first time I fired the car up after the resonator swap.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Is the drone or boom happening about 3k rpm? If you don't have it already, then maybe try the AWE Switchpath remote and drive with the valves closed. I would rather go this route then adding a resonator since I wouldn't want to modify a quality system for when I part out.

Just how I look at things.

Yes, I'm currently driving with them CLOSED, but not sure if that's good to do all the time! Yes, the noise is probably coming around that RPM figure.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
I have the Vibrant 17930, it's the 2.5" equivalent of the 17950. Worked very well at reducing the drone was getting after installing my DP. Granted it took a little to fully break in (like any exhaust component) but the difference was very noticeable the first time I fired the car up after the resonator swap.

Thanks, Did you add this resonator to the DP portion or did you just swap out the stock resonator on the exhaust?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Do you have the Optional APR front muffler? That's what I have installed in place of my resonator. Massive difference compared to Stock resonator, which droned with an exhaust and downpipe.

The only reason I went with that is because it was readily available in their shop. I'm sure the Vibrant is cheaper and will work just as well. Should definitely help with the drone and quiet it done

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Thanks, Did you add this resonator to the DP portion or did you just swap out the stock resonator on the exhaust?

Switched out the stock resonator to the Vibrant one. Granted the GTI has a little more room in the exhaust tunnel because we don't have the drive shaft running through there so someone with an R may have to chime in on the fitment.

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
What vibrant part number? The make quite a few resonators.

I tried the 3” model#1142, useless, but great looking. :) One should not compare any resonator or drone experience on a GTI vs the R. They are night and day different, and that’s why the GTI OEM exhaust is so simple and people don’t complain about drone much and the R OEM is quite complex, and so many people bitch about the noise after taking out the OEM resonator and not replacing it with another well designed solution.

I would not put any generic exhaust part on the Golf R, and if you do, out of ignorance, please don’t complain afterwards.

'16 MK7 R Manual

Hatcher

Ready to race!
FYI, for anyone interested doing this, it DOES seem possible. Went to muffler shop and we measured a piece of pipe that could be cut from mid pipe section of downpipe. Vibrant resonator is 18 inches, so no modification to APR exhaust necessary

TrinivdubOG

Go Kart Newbie
I thought the whole point of the delay with the Apr CBE was too eliminate drone by incorporating a Helmholtz resonator? is it still not very effective at keeping drone at bay? This is the exhaust I got my eyes set on so was really hoping all the bugs were sorted out.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I tried the 3” model#1142, useless, but great looking. :) One should not compare any resonator or drone experience on a GTI vs the R. They are night and day different, and that’s why the GTI OEM exhaust is so simple and people don’t complain about drone much and the R OEM is quite complex, and so many people bitch about the noise after taking out the OEM resonator and not replacing it with another well designed solution.

I would not put any generic exhaust part on the Golf R, and if you do, out of ignorance, please don’t complain afterwards.

'16 MK7 R Manual

The 1142 resonator doesn’t work on the mk7 gti either. People absolutely complain about drone on gti exhaust without a proper resonator replacement to match any upgraded dp.

Nobody offers a sufficiently sized resonator for the golf R...that’s because they all build parts that’ll fit with factory parts (downpipe to match the stock catback or a catback to match the stock). The only place there’s a chance at squeezing in a big enough resonator to knock out drone is along the driveshaft in the area which would be considered the “mid pipe” or the aft most part of the downpipe / beginning of the CBE

how do i delete my reddit account

There’s nothing “simple” or “complex” about gti and R exhaust. They both come with a resonator smaller in size to match the very restrictive and sound deadening stock downpipe & both have a big heavy chamber muffler out back. The R just has valves that bypass part of those chambers...not all that complex.

Vibrant fabrication products may be universal, but generic definitely isn’t the case. They’re the industry’s go to for race fabrication supplies.

I just spoke with a local customer about building a catted & Vibrant 17950 resonator equipped downpipe Friday. I’m pretty booked up currently, but in the next few weeks I’ll have it done with pictures and video clips for those interested. The pictures above were of the single exit R CBE I built several months ago. The owner wanted the resonator installed, but decided to hold out until we built his downpipe when he was ready to move up to a Auto X class which would allow it

Last edited: