GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trump Wants to Stop German Luxury Car Imports to US

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Link to Article

Lets keep politics out of this and have a civilized discussion as to whether this will happen or not.

I'm looking to buy Audi in the next 6 months and really hope this doesn't become a thing.

adam1991

Banned
It sounds like a great talking point, but as with all talking points, the realities are far more complex.

I suspect it's just hot air, but I don't know. The business interests are far too intertwined to unravel. Is this not unlike "too big to fail"? Maybe.

You can't take politics out of it entirely. If his goal is to use this as nothing more than hot air to achieve an immediate goal of some kind, knowing full well that 6 or 18 months from now it's completely forgotten and everything is business as usual, that wouldn't surprise me one bit.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Maybe if American cars weren't such trash people would buy more of them.
I think it is just hot air.
However it was just announced that the 25% tariff for steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico, and EU are going to stick...at least for now.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Not saying they all are but most.
I had a 2018 Focus as a rental last week and while there is nothing wrong with that car, I'd much rather have a Jetta.
The fit and finish and the quality of materials used is just better, or at least they make it seem better.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Im assuming this is more posturing than anything. The economic impacts would be pretty tremendous if this happened. There are tens of thousands of jobs in the US with this manufactures at manufacturing plants alone. Now add all the dealerships and 2nd and 3rd supply chains. Tons of money and jobs would be loss. Not something that a politician would want to do (or so i think)

As far as leaving politics out, i meant that i didn't want this thread to immediately devolve into (your a liberal, your a nazi, Trump sucks, Trump is god) bs.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Maybe if American cars weren't such trash people would buy more of them.
I think it is just hot air.
However it was just announced that the 25% tariff for steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico, and EU are going to stick...at least for now.

This.^^^^ Goes back to the 1960's.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I had another 2018 rental this weekend.
This time is was a GMC Yukon.
For a car that is at least $50k, I couldn't believe how much crap plastic was in the thing.
It did not feel like a $50k car, and I'm sure they get closer to $60k with more options.
For that money, I'd buy a Q7!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I doubt it will fly. "Foreign" auto companies employ thousands of people in predominantly "red" (i.e. non-union) states, and the elected representatives of those states will undoubtedly have something to say about it.

The real motive behind a lot of these statements is to see how the stock market reacts.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
There's a lot the president can do with executive orders, and of course the departments of the government that enforce rules and such are led by people who serve at the pleasure of the president, so there's that. In the long run, yeah, there are too many forces working actively against this sort of protectionism to make it stick in all probability.

It's so dumb, too. At least in the old days--when the unions would have rallies where you'd pay five bucks to swing a sledge hammer at a Japanese car--the stupid protectionist rhetoric was at least directed against manufacturers who were actually selling cars in sufficient numbers to average Americans that you could build a plausible (barely) argument for trade barriers. Not a good argument, mind you, but at least one that wasn't batshit crazy (and at at least one of those rallies they were bashing on a Subaru, a car that at that point was not exactly selling like hotcakes).

As many others have noted, the market does actually work. People buy cars they want; the Japanese, Koreans, and Germans aren't forcing people at gun point to buy their vehicles. And often, the cars are more, not less, expensive than American cars.

Notably, you don't see Detroit supporting stupidity like this. All the American automakers (if we can use a national label like that in this day and age) are global companies (FCA is just the most obvious and visible example), and any sort of nationalist protectionism makes their shareholders and boards very uneasy.