GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New R owner throttle response

ultra300x702

Just picked up my new 2018 R and have noticed when i floor the gas pedal in sport mode there is a 1 sec delay of throttle response and nothing happens. Car is stock with 500 miles. My 2017 gti did not do this at all. Any thoughts ? Car is DSG

Last edited:

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
The car has a electronic throttle and there is a delay on purpose in the software. It can be changed with obd11 under steering assistance module I believe.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
The car has a electronic throttle and there is a delay on purpose in the software. It can be changed with obd11 under steering assistance module I believe.

And if that still doesn’t satisfy you, consider a pedal box (Remus or Dtuk). They are interchangeable. However, if you plan on tuning early on, forego the pedal box and get a DSG tune to go with the ecu tune.

R3D9

Passed Driver's Ed
I do wonder if some (obviously not all, given the comments above) of this can be put down to the DSG calibrating itself to your driving style? My experience with a DSG - a 2012 TDI - was that it behaved a little strangely for the first 1k miles or so, but after that it seemed to respond to my inputs much quicker.

HeliDriver

Passed Driver's Ed
Inherent to the DSG 7 Spd. Shifting is 8ms during normal upshifting and downshifting but when you ask it to do something it was not anticipating like cruising along then go to WOT, it will take a bit longer...1100ms actually. No one has got an answer why the 7 Spd does this while the 6 Spd does not. Just need to anticipate what gear you want for those spirited moments so it doesn't fall on it's face when you need it to go. Been a lot of us who have gone to VW about it in hopes that they get a fix or at least an answer. Until then I'm just downshifting to get the revs up when I need it. I do find it smoother overall and a bit quicker out of the hole to 60 than the 6spd dsg though.

R3D9

Passed Driver's Ed
Inherent to the DSG 7 Spd. Shifting is 8ms during normal upshifting and downshifting but when you ask it to do something it was not anticipating like cruising along then go to WOT, it will take a bit longer...1100ms actually. No one has got an answer why the 7 Spd does this while the 6 Spd does not. Just need to anticipate what gear you want for those spirited moments so it doesn't fall on it's face when you need it to go. Been a lot of us who have gone to VW about it in hopes that they get a fix or at least an answer. Until then I'm just downshifting to get the revs up when I need it. I do find it smoother overall and a bit quicker out of the hole to 60 than the 6spd dsg though.

Very interesting. I hadn’t noticed this in either of my two test drives of the MK7.5

Is there another discussion of this elsewhere on the forum? I’d like to better understand what the specific parameters of the issue are so I can test it out for myself.

Watching the video linked below, I’m still not clear as to what state the car is in when this happens... does this only happen in paddle-shifting or “S” mode? If Simply driving in Normal/Comfort/Race, would this same hesitation occur when I floor it?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't care what VW supposedly says, it's turbo lag. This is my 2nd 6-speed DSG (MK5/7), and they both lag the same. I ALWAYS make sure I'm moving before making any left turn in front of traffic, and give it just enough gas to develop the torque needed. Only after I'm sure it's responding do I give it more gas. It took me a week to get used to how the R was programmed, and even after years of driving both cars I still need to be aware of what I'm doing.

Driving with the transmission shifter togged to Sport mode raises the idle to about 1,100 RPM instead of about 900 RPM. This makes a big difference in off-the-line acceleration simply because the idle is higher. You still need to be very careful about applying throttle, because you can still get just as much lag.

It's not like you can use launch control every time. BUT, I found I can play with it, by revving up to 2,000 RPM, let up on the gas so the RPM's start to come down, then let off the brake and hit the gas. I didn't notice how much, but I don't think it's more than 1/4 pedal. Get it right, and I find it eliminates turbo lag. The only problem is you need to be consistent and anticipate when you need to take off. Still better on the clutches than holding the RPM at a fixed level. I doubt there would be any appreciable wear, since it's not like you'll need it every time you take off.

HeliDriver

Passed Driver's Ed
Very interesting. I hadn’t noticed this in either of my two test drives of the MK7.5

Is there another discussion of this elsewhere on the forum? I’d like to better understand what the specific parameters of the issue are so I can test it out for myself.

Watching the video linked below, I’m still not clear as to what state the car is in when this happens... does this only happen in paddle-shifting or “S” mode? If Simply driving in Normal/Comfort/Race, would this same hesitation occur when I floor it?

There is a discussion here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9007849-2018-Transmission-Issue
Turbo lag has got nothing to do with this issue. Completely different thing.
I find it happens when you are needing to downshift 3+ gears at once. The TCU doesn't anticipate that kind of shift "at times" and you'll get that 1100ms shift. I say at times because it does occasionally work but not often. You're better off manually downshifting in those cases. Check the wiki on this Transmission. Will help better understand why it does this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox