GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Failure

adam1991

Banned
2 out of how many in the world?

So far it's a coincidence that the two failures go noted on this forum.

You want to see transmission failures? Go look into the forum buzz on 1999 on up Honda V6 cars, especially the Odyssey van. See when it started and how much of it started within what small time frame. Now there's some indication of widespread transmission failures, pretty quickly.

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
besides the failure of this integral, expensive, supposedly well engineered part =D thats something to worry about... second thread for dsg failure for normal/not overtuned folks here ive seen this week... Still a wonderful transmission i have faith in, but unless these ppl are mad full of shit, and do 6 Launch controls every drive, these DSG failures are quite unacceptable.

Like i said i do drive hard but not crazy. I don't have more than 50 launch controlled launches but i do make my conti extreme contact sports work for it.

I have a service appointment for Wednesday. How this is handled will really be the determining factor as to whether or not i buy a mk8 golf r. I put 20k miles a year on my cars.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
2 out of how many in the world?

So far it's a coincidence that the two failures go noted on this forum.

Exactly, I have no worries about my new box (when it comes) failing at all, they are as close as bulletproof new gearboxes get with that complexity. The guy doing mine said they are built to take ridiculous amounts of torque and power for what they are and it is unusual for mine to fail they way it did.

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!
I think its pure coincidence and likely service issue... If you want to talk about a fragile gearbox go to the Evo Forums. I just sold my dual clutch Evo for my GTI and the difference is night and day. That trans was like jekyll and hyde, my Evo was not tuned either.

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
Dropped the car off this morning. They said the first thing that has to be done is that they redo the dsg flush with a live link to VW and then reasses. I guess I will find out soon.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Hopefully your issue will be resolved soon OP.

besides the failure of this integral, expensive, supposedly well engineered part =D thats something to worry about... second thread for dsg failure for normal/not overtuned folks here ive seen this week... Still a wonderful transmission i have faith in, but unless these ppl are mad full of shit, and do 6 Launch controls every drive, these DSG failures are quite unacceptable.

DSG has been in the market for quite sometime and its one of the reliable transmission (with that fun factor). Yes failures do happen but one has to look into the occurrence rate and OP is yet to find the root cause. And coincidentally it has happened right after 40k service which involves work on the transmission.

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
DSG service completed a second time problem still preset. The next step is apparently to check the servos in the mechatronic unit. Transmission is getting dropped Monday. Error codes that I got before I dropped it off included 2nd gear clutch engaging unexpectedly and transmission limp mode.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Thing is, way more folk own Golfs than post on this forum, so hard to tell how many gearboxes (or engines or cars for that matter) fail overall. More than posted here will, but prob many more won't. I once re-built a 5-speed manual gearbox on a Nissan, 55,000 miles, initially stripped to replace a single (I thought) noisy bearing long story short: plenty of oil, some few metallic 'hairs / fibres' on magnetic drain plug, ended up replacing every bearing, about 6, + backing shims (to attain correct gap for differential orbital gears), + selector forks & various nuts, bollts, washers + fresh gearbox oil. Not that difficult, took a couple of days but being a poor student saved me half price on a re-conditioned 'box. Have had plenty of cars similar & greater milages but only ever re-built the one 'box. Turns out local reconditioners & Nissan dealers kept plenty of spares & compete gearboxes in stock as Nissan 'boxes weren't the best back then, late 1990's....

Last edited:

Metro424

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39799

My car has been in the shop 2 weeks for a new DSG. Failed at 20k miles. When troubleshooting it on a drive with a VW tech, we isolated it to 5th gear being the noisiest, like OP observed.

DSG was on backorder for a week.

Mines been in for 2 weeks as well, estimated 1-2 more weeks now to get a new dsg from germany. Looking at a month without my car and so far no loaner car available. Pretty disappointing, good thing I have a backup car.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Mines been in for 2 weeks as well, estimated 1-2 more weeks now to get a new dsg from germany. Looking at a month without my car and so far no loaner car available. Pretty disappointing, good thing I have a backup car.

Did they offer a loaner car?

Are you leasing or did you buy yours?

Mine is leased, my dealer always provides a loaner.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I feel like my DSG is just starting to act up a bit. 16xxx miles on the car. Not really driven too hard. Went for one hard drive in the mountains over a 2-3 hour morning period since I got the car, plenty of other spirited times on normal roads, but typically just my commute to from work 9 miles each way on city roads.

I'm finding that I'm hearing a louder clacking sound when coming to a stop and I have the windows open, or if I'm going through a parking lot at low speed and gas it a bit I hear something that sounds "abnormal" to me as well. Hope I don't need to deal with a failure too.