GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
The APR Powerbrake units are sized specifically for the R and GTI and are street legal as they have dust boots or whatever they are called. Driving instructor I know has driven every BBK out there on the mk7 and says APR and AP are his favourites.
R & GTI should use different sized pistons based on stoptech. We wouldn't know tho since apr says piston sizing is property and top trade secret.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
R & GTI should use different sized pistons based on stoptech. We wouldn't know tho since apr says piston sizing is property and top trade secret.

Ok I’ll bite. Why do you or should you care what the piston size is when the kit is made specifically for the car? Or did you just need to find an opportunity to have a dig at an organisation? As that’s what it comes across as. I’ll ask you this in the most constructive way I can. What value to this conversation did your above comment add?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Ok I’ll bite. Why do you or should you care what the piston size is when the kit is made specifically for the car? Or did you just need to find an opportunity to have a dig at an organisation? As that’s what it comes across as. I’ll ask you this in the most constructive way I can. What value to this conversation did your above comment add?
Why some companies use 1 size fits all vs tailor made per car. It irritating that Apr calls on trade secret to tell you info to make an informed decision when once you buy it you can measure it all you want. Also it's a dig at APR because their brake kits are super overpriced imo.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
255-35-18 MPS4S Tire Clearance

Here are some photos showing tire clearance for my 255-35-18 MPS4S tires.
Stock ride height
-2F/-1.8R
SuperPro 018k LCA

No rubbing issues on the street with Neuspeed RSE10’s 18x8.5 et 45
A9B27DC6-9451-4FDF-BA2F-B95475678E3A.jpeg
D507DA15-C7A7-4138-86DB-F8FCF96BD2FE.jpeg
0B0D2470-2EE3-41C2-997A-165C3728C6FA.jpeg
A674FEAE-B35C-454F-B7CF-06863B184E74.jpeg
ECA29E90-9DF0-4623-9EAE-A4FAB414E59D.jpeg
5C548D4F-79BE-4F27-BCB9-52852A5AFCD7.jpeg
882561C3-3E86-4E6A-B500-580F1913327A.jpeg
FC8566F9-4AC0-41A4-B56D-B2EEC0DD2A62.jpeg
9A234A85-9918-4A65-AF0B-DCDB5F38A8DE.jpeg

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The APR Powerbrake units are sized specifically for the R and GTI and are street legal as they have dust boots or whatever they are called. Driving instructor I know has driven every BBK out there on the mk7 and says APR and AP are his favourites.

They run an internal wiper seal.

Some feedback from Vorshlag Motorsports who use the brakes on their own racecars. Mustangs, E46 BMW’s and BRZ’s.

https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/for...werbrake-big-brake-upgrade-kits-from-vorshlag

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Why some companies use 1 size fits all vs tailor made per car. It irritating that Apr calls on trade secret to tell you info to make an informed decision when once you buy it you can measure it all you want. Also it's a dig at APR because their brake kits are super overpriced imo.

Does the Golf R have a different master cylinder size vs. PP specced GTi’s?

The GTi PP calipers are the same as the R.....right?

My brake balance front to rear appears to be spot on with my PowerBrake setup. To be honest, even after a lot of correspondence back and forth, I never inquired about piston size. I shared my track videos, my tire specs, my future mod path. My pad preference favoring ease of modulation, kindness to rotors over a super aggressive bite. All of this went into their brake simulation software. Calipers were made to order. Every part is date stamped and traceable back to raw material sourced.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Does the Golf R have a different master cylinder size vs. PP specced GTi’s?

The GTi PP calipers are the same as the R.....right?

My brake balance front to rear appears to be spot on with my PowerBrake setup. To be honest, even after a lot of correspondence back and forth, I never inquired about piston size. I shared my track videos, my tire specs, my future mod path. My pad preference favoring ease of modulation, kindness to rotors over a super aggressive bite. All of this went into their brake simulation software. Calipers were made to order. Every part is date stamped and traceable back to raw material sourced.
Calipers same, master cylinder I'm unsure of. If you keep same.mastwr cylinder size but play with piston size/# you start messing with brake bias and that's where I start to lose understanding on how to "properly" size stuff. Then it becomes playing with pad types to even it all back up and so on.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
If the master cylinder is the same on the R and the PP specced golf, then the brake bias front to rear is essentially the same on a PP specced GTi. There will be a small difference due to the difference in weight distribution. Slightly more rearward bias on the R because of the extra weight over the rear axle. Meaning the R’s front brakes will do slightly less”work”.

If you take the pedal ratio and the brake booster assist out of the equation:
Larger caliper piston=more brake force with a”harder” to push brake pedal (more leg effort with more brake pedal travel. Larger piston requires more fluid to be displaced)
Smaller caliper piston=less brake force on the pad/rotor with an “easier” to push brake pedal. Less brake pedal travel because smaller piston to displace.

Getting the brake “feel” right is a combination of pedal ratio, caliper piston size and master cylinder size on formula type cars which do not have any brake boosters to assist with the mechanical effort. Hah! I digress. Lol

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
If the master cylinder is the same on the R and the PP specced golf, then the brake bias front to rear is essentially the same on a PP specced GTi. There will be a small difference due to the difference in weight distribution. Slightly more rearward bias on the R because of the extra weight over the rear axle. Meaning the R’s front brakes will do slightly less”work”.

If you take the pedal ratio and the brake booster assist out of the equation:
Larger caliper piston=more brake force with a”harder” to push brake pedal (more leg effort with more brake pedal travel. Larger piston requires more fluid to be displaced)
Smaller caliper piston=less brake force on the pad/rotor with an “easier” to push brake pedal. Less brake pedal travel because smaller piston to displace.

Getting the brake “feel” right is a combination of pedal ratio, caliper piston size and master cylinder size on formula type cars which do not have any brake boosters to assist with the mechanical effort. Hah! I digress. Lol

There are also brake booster settings in the car's registry which people like to mess with for various reasons.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Well, i think i did a dumb. Went poking around in VCDS last night to see what there was too see, and lo and behold:

UDS Adaptation Channel (1B): MAS00194-MAS00121---no display---Electronic Differential Lock
Stored value Medium

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH :mad:

So i'm guessing this is what led to my fronts getting roasted, even though ESP Stored value is "not activated". So maybe i don't need BBK after all :rolleyes:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Medium? I don’t even remember that being an option. This is the “Increased Traction” setting isn’t it?

Pretty sure this is for xds... More so, I think xds and the diff play together to help turn in and reduce some torque steer. I believe most people set to weak because off messes with diff actuation? Maybe I'm recalling it wrong, but from what I've read it didn't seem like anyone knew for sure. In either case, set to anything above weak your brakes will get really hot really fast because xds will use your brakes to rotate you.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Medium? I don’t even remember that being an option. This is the “Increased Traction” setting isn’t it?

AFAIK the setting i'm referring to is for XDS, on my car it appears with the cryptic "no display" message.

Pretty sure this is for xds... More so, I think xds and the diff play together to help turn in and reduce some torque steer. I believe most people set to weak because off messes with diff actuation? Maybe I'm recalling it wrong, but from what I've read it didn't seem like anyone knew for sure. In either case, set to anything above weak your brakes will get really hot really fast because xds will use your brakes to rotate you.

From a little reading, i find that XDS applies braking to the wheel beginning to lose traction. On the other hand, it's supposedly part of ESP, so i thought that with ESP turned off, XDS wouldn't be active. Does anyone know for certain if this is the case, or does XDS work whether or not ESP is engaged?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
AFAIK the setting i'm referring to is for XDS, on my car it appears with the cryptic "no display" message.

From a little reading, i find that XDS applies braking to the wheel beginning to lose traction. On the other hand, it's supposedly part of ESP, so i thought that with ESP turned off, XDS wouldn't be active. Does anyone know for certain if this is the case, or does XDS work whether or not ESP is engaged?

Traction control off does not turn off xds. Traction control essentially cuts power when a slip is detected or applies brakes in very specific cases, while xds works by braking individual corners. They are related systems but the logic for them is separate.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve had my XDS set to both weak and normal. Right now it’s normal. I have found recently quite heavy intervention even when ECS is off. It sounds like DSG pop when cornering. I didn’t think it was XDS as it sounds like ignition cut, where as I thought XDS only applied braking. I’m going try try putting XDS back to weak anyway. As for all we know it could also be cutting ignition as part of traction control (even though it’s off).