GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

azuraR

I know I don't post much but I run this turbo as well. I actually f*cked up my first unit as I was messing with different diverter valves and boost controllers etc and didn't realize I dropped a tiny spring in the turbo and totally f*cked up the blade and everything. If this is any consolation, I asked TR for a replacement (since I got it direct) and they were very helpful (and quick) to get me a new unit. At least for me they did everything within their power to make me happy and get the car back up. Tuned the car a happy level but nothing totally bonkers, just running a downpipe and turbo. Definitely been solid.

TR will take care of you, i'm more than sure. There are so many factors that can be the cause to a dead turbo but their products have only held up for my buddies and I, as I guess i'm the rare case with friends who use their Subaru and Porsche stuff.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I know I don't post much but I run this turbo as well. I actually f*cked up my first unit as I was messing with different diverter valves and boost controllers etc and didn't realize I dropped a tiny spring in the turbo and totally f*cked up the blade and everything. If this is any consolation, I asked TR for a replacement (since I got it direct) and they were very helpful (and quick) to get me a new unit. At least for me they did everything within their power to make me happy and get the car back up. Tuned the car a happy level but nothing totally bonkers, just running a downpipe and turbo. Definitely been solid.

TR will take care of you, i'm more than sure. There are so many factors that can be the cause to a dead turbo but their products have only held up for my buddies and I, as I guess i'm the rare case with friends who use their Subaru and Porsche stuff.

Why were you messing with those?

Great news on the replacement. That's pretty awesome they did that considering it was your fault.

azuraR

Why were you messing with those?

Great news on the replacement. That's pretty awesome they did that considering it was your fault.

I bought it when they originally offered a completely separate BOV, hoses, solenoid, etc. and not just the plate thing. Took the car to the track and my inlet house kept blowing off because my clamp sucked. Took the car home the next day and put a much better clamp on and also started playing with the stock DV and the tune i've been working on for e-tuning, I goofed!

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
but not with a clogged cat. i have no idea how the ecus work on these cars so i do not know if knock would be induced with high back pressure.
I can say however that it is amazing how high the egts can climb with a clogged cat.

I was not assuming the catalytic converter was clogged.

I realize it wasn't your statement, but the logic given earlier for getting from running on E85 to having clogged cats strikes me as probably incorrect.

Travis9935

Ready to race!

I realize it wasn't your statement, but the logic given earlier for getting from running on E85 to having clogged cats strikes me as probably incorrect.
With all the high performance n/a & turbo people out there running E85 I've never heard of E85 causing cat failures before.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
With all the high performance n/a & turbo people out there running E85 I've never heard of E85 causing cat failures before.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That's exactly what MyGolfMK7 said. Ethanol usually takes out the rubber fuel lines before anything else.

I've never actually tested a turbo for shaft play. How do I do that?

I should check mine as well since I also had the TR turbo for over a month.

Take off the TIP so you get access to the turbine, and then try moving it with your fingers. A tiny bit of movement is okay, but if you get a lot of movement from it, that's not a good sign. You can also take off the DP to check the exhaust side of the turbine (not sure if that gives you additional play compared to moving the intake side), that also lets you check the wastegate.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE

I wasn't saying it was gospel, I was merely stating it's a possibility and I've seen it happen on a couple forced induction applications, both supercharged and turbocharged.

Using both pump and E85.

To answer a few other of your questions you asked myself earlier in thread:

Knock itself isn't what kills a turbo. It's the logic in what the ECU does when it retards timing. If you're at WOT and you get a 4º or a 5º timing reduction at full power enrichment, there's a decent amount of unburnt(cool) fuel going out the back. If it can kill a catalyst, it can kill a turbo.

Can is the keyword here, not will, can.

You can't see how a turbo would fail if there was suddenly a restriction in place that would cause it to work harder in order for it to spin?

If it was an externally wastegated turbo setup it would only exhibit power loss, but since the wastegate dumps into the rest of the exhaust like everything else, the turbo never gets to spin without doing a ton of extra work.

Using the clogged cat example, yes it would build boost faster, which means the ECU would see it's target airload, open the wastegate sooner, but that exhaust is still dumping to an over restricted system that doesn't have enough volume to do it's job anymore.

Yes, overall you would be lessening the amount of air the engine and take in and move out by putting such a restriction in the exhaust, and yes there would be less air moving past the turbine because of this. If the car moves under it's own power and only making say 100hp, that's still about 10 lbs/min +/- a lb or two that's being moved with no place for it to go when it's done being used.

In supercharged cars it usually kills the exhaust valves because that's the next thing working backwards from the cat(terminator cobras that are running cats that are 1/2 milers or highway stars). In turbocharged cars, usually the turbo becomes the martyr in clogged cat situations, especially in internally gated turbos.

If you still can't see how a low d/p across any turbine due to restriction can lead to shaft failure, think that the amount of force being applied hasn't changed, and the energy has to go somewhere.

No need to throw a bunch of shade over the internet because someone throws some ideas out there based off of their own personal experiences.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I've never actually tested a turbo for shaft play. How do I do that?

I should check mine as well since I also had the TR turbo for over a month.

Take off the TIP so you get access to the turbine, and then try moving it with your fingers. A tiny bit of movement is okay, but if you get a lot of movement from it, that's not a good sign. You can also take off the DP to check the exhaust side of the turbine (not sure if that gives you additional play compared to moving the intake side), that also lets you check the wastegate.

Up and down movement is more "ok" than in and out movement.
Here's about as bad as it gets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RSKs5m9a4s

Turbine sides typically have more movement than compressor sides, but it's rare that something wrong with a turbo only affects one side or the other that's not foreign object related.

I.E. Turbine get done in from an exhaust valve failure or a compressor side gets destroyed by a random shop rag while the car is on a dyno with no filter on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDncgYH5q7A