GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf production coming to an end at Mexico

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I guess I'm really confused where they are getting the information that there's a severe issue with Golf product quality and a general sales decline of the Golf.

In terms of overall failures we aren't generally seeing high component failure rates here on the forum, on other forums or places like Reddit. In fact I felt the consensus was that they were pretty reliable. Hell I own two and neither has had any major problems.

In terms of sales decline, maybe nationally there is, but here in they bay area there are TONS of Golf, eGolf and GTIs around. Tons. You can't drive a mile without seeing one. I saw plenty out east on a 2 week trip back to MD/PA/NJ to visit family too.

I wonder about that too. I see like 5 a day minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
theyre probably paying more for labor now, i bet they were forced to do it. someone here mentioned unions =D

as far as i know there is no recurring issue en masse except the sunroof leak deal, which blows.... every car has issues. my acuras a/c broke 5k miles after the 100k warranty ended. My benzes have had repairs, bmws had starter issues; no car made anywhere is immune to issues.

had more issues with my brand new german built c300 engine than anything ive ever experienced before. Now they make it in america and there are no more seal leaks and piston slap issues requiring rebuild..... Go figure =D

and im 33% german...

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
If sales are down i'd think it has more to do with diesel-gate making the whole brand look "bad". People may think if they cut corners on emissions where else did they cut corners, or just think that VW doesn't care about the environment who knows.

All i know is it makes sense at a business level to have North American production in Mexico due to the cheaper labor costs, taxes and them being in NAFTA I believe it helps skirt some import taxes not to mention save on transporting whole cars from Germany.

I think when you have a big brand like VAG overseeing production, the car can be made anywhere and have good quality.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
If I may make an observation, my German built Mk6 had fewer issues and overall felt far more solid going down the road then my Mexican built Mk7. Others may feel differently, but that's my experience. Especially down bumpy Cleveland roads, my Mk6 handled them much better. Also, when I close the door of my Mk7 and the window is anything but all the way up, it sounds hollow and cheap. Mk6, not so. Now location should have nothing to do with this but if it does, change it.

Pretty sure that has nothing to do with hos it was built and more so the design and the quality of those parts

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Pretty sure that has nothing to do with hos it was built and more so the design and the quality of those parts

I feel like the build quality on my MK7 is really good! I’m in my gf’s Hyundai right now and the interior is cheaper, play in the dials ... the fit and finish on the MK7 German or mexican is great!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
If I may make an observation, my German built Mk6 had fewer issues and overall felt far more solid going down the road then my Mexican built Mk7. Others may feel differently, but that's my experience. Especially down bumpy Cleveland roads, my Mk6 handled them much better. Also, when I close the door of my Mk7 and the window is anything but all the way up, it sounds hollow and cheap. Mk6, not so. Now location should have nothing to do with this but if it does, change it.

Your German built MK6 was of a heavier and older design than the MK7.

You would need to compare a MK7 assembled in Germany, side by side with a MK7 assembled in Mexico to make your comparison valid.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
/agree with electric eye. And youll get your opportunity in a few years. Just haveto pick a low mileage mexican "build" one to compare with a "german" build one. WIll still be mostly subjective.

I imagine there will be just as many supposed issues, just in different places. Supposedly they say some hyundais are made in german factories and wtf difference does that make? Bet those dashboard and door upper panels dont even line up in your wifes hyundai huh gawernator =D my moms' sure didnt....

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
/agree with electric eye. And youll get your opportunity in a few years. Just haveto pick a low mileage mexican "build" one to compare with a "german" build one. WIll still be mostly subjective.

I imagine there will be just as many supposed issues, just in different places. Supposedly they say some hyundais are made in german factories and wtf difference does that make? Bet those dashboard and door upper panels dont even line up in your wifes hyundai huh gawernator =D my moms' sure didnt....

There is a your momma insult in here but I am too dim witted to find it.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

Hyundai BTFO!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

And I'd be willing to bet that there is no discernible or actual difference in build quality between a MK7 assembled in Germany vs one assembled in Mexico.
(I'm not talking about content/or features.)

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
And I'd be willing to bet that there is no discernible or actual difference in build quality between a MK7 assembled in Germany vs one assembled in Mexico.
(I'm not talking about content/or features.)

I agree with this completely.

I've had Mexico, German, Brazilian, USA built VWs in my days and the only one that gave me the most issues was the German built one. So there's the German built quality right there.