GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Uni IS38 Stage2+ Constant Limp Mode @ WOT w/ logs!

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
First post has my auto scan as an attachment.

I find it odd that the boost slowly drops in 3rd, the is38 is supposed to shine up top isn't it? Something doesn't seem right.!
Gotcha. Yes, so many misfires! I see why plugs were a #1 priority.

The time stamp showed cylinders 2-4 tripped a CEL first at the same time and cylinder 1 a few days later. From my understanding, high-load/WOT misfires largely have to do with gap.

Since you swapped in RS7 plugs afterwards, and assuming the gap is correct and they often are out of the box, I'm wondering what your fault codes are now. The last code was from 9/26 from what I can see. Any new codes?

As far as 3rd gear boost dropping more than the usual taper, on the surface it sounds related to the intermittent misfire. Aside from that, I'm wondering about calibration of the wastegate actuator or throttle body. Assuming air and fuel are being delivered consistently as they should, it seems the car is encountering something unmetered.

I hope this gets fixed quick for you!!

Carbohydrate

Passed Driver's Ed
Gotcha. Yes, so many misfires! I see why plugs were a #1 priority.

The time stamp showed cylinders 2-4 tripped a CEL first at the same time and cylinder 1 a few days later. From my understanding, high-load/WOT misfires largely have to do with gap.

Since you swapped in RS7 plugs afterwards, and assuming the gap is correct and they often are out of the box, I'm wondering what your fault codes are now. The last code was from 9/26 from what I can see. Any new codes?

As far as 3rd gear boost dropping more than the usual taper, on the surface it sounds related to the intermittent misfire. Aside from that, I'm wondering about calibration of the wastegate actuator or throttle body. Assuming air and fuel are being delivered consistently as they should, it seems the car is encountering something unmetered.

I hope this gets fixed quick for you!!

Thank you, i hope so too, john should get back to me monday, i wouldnt expect him to over the weekend.

I'm leaving work shortly, going to do fresh logs with the new plugs/e85 blend

Also i had the plugs gapped to 0.024 by my buddy at the VW dealership, hes a pro, he wouldnt mess that up luckily.

LOGS SOON!

jerodbroten

Ready to race!
So not sure if this will help you or not. But, when I went is38, I got revo stage 3. I then staked jb4. Every time I went 3rd or 4th I would get an EPC light, code would say misfire or something similar. I ended up fixing this by increasing my FOL on the jb4 to 40, when most only increase to 10. Your fueling might be causing your issue. Or this could be way off and irrelevant.

Carbohydrate

Passed Driver's Ed
new logs with rs7 plugs + e85 blend

Log 1 - Boost, actuator stuff
https://datazap.me/u/carbohydrate/mk7-gti-is38-unistage2-rs7-plugs-e85-blend?log=0&data=0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7&zoom=393-1407&mark=1271

Log 2 - Timing/MAF
https://datazap.me/u/carbohydrate/mk7-gti-is38-unistage2-rs7-plugs-e85-blend?log=1&data=0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7&mark=1494

Timing looks much cleaner but still going into limp mode..

I did the pulls with my window down this time and im hearing what i want to call compressor surge in 3rd. Like mini DV release sounds, 3-4 happen in the matter of seconds.

Auto scans show the same codes as usual, nothing new.

Thank you all for the help!

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Interesting JB4 adjustment ^

Carb, sounds like with measuring blocks you have VCDS? Have you checked 'adaptation of charge pressure actuator'? It should give you a clear idea if the wastegate is out of adjustment. On APR's video, you can skip straight to 1 min 5 sec for the steps. But nevermind if you've done that.

https://youtu.be/sne8-9svmN0

Carbohydrate

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting JB4 adjustment ^

Carb, sounds like with measuring blocks you have VCDS? Have you checked 'adaptation of charge pressure actuator'? It should give you a clear idea if the wastegate is out of adjustment. On APR's video, you can skip straight to 1 min 5 sec for the steps. But nevermind if you've done that.

https://youtu.be/sne8-9svmN0

Yes, I've completed that, thank you for the recommendation.

Carbohydrate

Passed Driver's Ed
John sent me a new file, completely cleared everything up, car pulls like a monster all the way to 5th!

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
John sent me a new file, completely cleared everything up, car pulls like a monster all the way to 5th!

So after all that it was just a shitty tune that caused the headache?... Wow, why wasn't this taken care of much sooner, especially with that kind of timing pull. SMH.

Last edited:

Carbohydrate

Passed Driver's Ed
So after all that it was just a shitty tune that caused the headache?... Wow, why wasn't this taken care of much sooner, especially with that kind of timing pull. SMH.

No need for that honestly, every car is different and some require a little more attention.

Didn't see you chime in once except to talk shit. Dudes like you are the same kids who get knocked out at bars because you run your mouth hyped up on coors light. Cheers.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
No need for that honestly, every car is different and some require a little more attention.

Didn't see you chime in once except to talk shit. Dudes like you are the same kids who get knocked out at bars because you run your mouth hyped up on coors light. Cheers.

LoL! You sure make a brilliant reference to beers and assault on individuals. Bravo sir.

I was simply saying, why wasn't an altered tune sent to you to mitigate the risk and potential issues your car maybe facing or faced in a better timeframe you ignorant twat. People these days ROFL. The initial tune you used was causing some crazy issues, instead of jumping through hoops a timely tune adjustment would have solved your issues, but took quite some time to address by said tuner, which I felt was lackluster customer service wise.

The fact that the tune you were running was "shitty" clearly shows on your logs. If the new tune addressed said issues then it is no longer "shitty". That all I implied you friggen idiot.

By all means call me names, hell come try to knock me out if you care to lol. But I'll say what I want on an open forum. If your feelings were hurt in my little comment I apologize, didn't mean to offend a snowflake, jesus....

Last edited:

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
I agree that it should have been corrected by the tuner earlier.

Were you running an e30 tune on regular pump gas? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause pull like that, as if it were expecting much better octane.

I'm glad it is performing like it should, and that you didn't crack a piston in the mean time lol. That pull was kind of scary...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk