GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Advice!

Keefe

Passed Driver's Ed
I found an Injen intake nearby and contacted the guy, he is willing to sell it for $200 (CDN). I was wondering what some peoples opinions is on this price and purchasing an aftermarket intake. I've read multiple things online stating that the stock intake is very effective if not better than this aftermarket intake, which I believe is probably true.

What i'm wondering is if installing this will decrease the power in any noticeable way. I really like the intake sounds and want to hear some more turbo noise, but not sure if losing some power is the right way to go about it. Thoughts?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You are going to pay $200 for noise and absolutely nothing else basically.

typeone

Ready to race!
if it's just the standard filter at the end of a pipe style, i'd skip it.

i tried an AEM version last year or so... sounded cool but def lost power down low... took it off shortly after. swapping back to the OEM box brought my power back. i evaluated for a few weeks+

was bummed to lose the sound but was not worth it to me.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
if it's just the standard filter at the end of a pipe style, i'd skip it.

i tried an AEM version last year or so... sounded cool but def lost power down low... took it off shortly after. swapping back to the OEM box brought my power back. i evaluated for a few weeks+

was bummed to lose the sound but was not worth it to me.

Dyno charts proving said loss?

OP I have the injen intake and it sounds/looks great. No change in performance.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Lots of threads on the open air intakes losing power. (Quite a few just on the injen short ram). Sound great, “most” lose power when ambients get higher. Dynos never show the loss, as they are done with the hood up and a fan blowing over the intake.

Last edited:

gmi99

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of threads on the open air intakes losing power. (Quite a few just on the injen short ram). Sound great, “most” lose power when ambients get higher. Dynos never show the loss, as they are done with the hood up and a fan blowing over the intake.
I call BS, you definitely aren't losing power with an open air intake if it's designed properly. You're talking about worst case scenario, high ambient temps, on a track, without any shielding or directed airflow. Crappy filter on a stick could be worse in this scenario.

I also believe the boxes get less airflow, it's restricted at the grille. If the heat shield is designed well, you essentially get all the benefits of a closed system plus potentially more airflow and sweet intake noises. Air flows from the grille directly into my CTS intake. Sidenote: I don't like the shields that take from the whole grille. Don't want to suffocate the rest of the engine bay.

For all those that say a CAI doesn't do anything for performance, that's also not true. With my stage 1.5 tune I am getting lower IATs vs stock despite being an "open air" system. Before the CAI I had some wheelspin in first and second on PSS. With the CAI I get wheelspin in 3rd as well. It has made a noticeable difference in performance and it's questionable whether a true closed system would offer any benefit.

IMO open + good shielding/directed airflow > closed

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Tried two open intakes. I don’t claim to have lost power, but drivability/smoothness of normal cruising suffered. Changed back to stock both times. Now running K&N without snow catcher and it is perfect for me. Throttle response is improved due to less resistance to flow (notice I didn’t say power increase). I switched back to a clean stock filter recently when cleaning the K&N. Drivability is better with the K&N, no doubt.

Most that throw on the simple open intakes love the sight and sound. I did too. But, rarely do folks go back to stock to compare after a couple weeks. I would advise you to take the “intake challenge” like I did. You might be surprised. Drivability is more important than sound for me. And for the vanity sake, almost nobody ever sees my intake. Just my 0.02.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Tried two open intakes. I don’t claim to have lost power, but drivability/smoothness of normal cruising suffered. Changed back to stock both times. Now running K&N without snow catcher and it is perfect for me. Throttle response is improved due to less resistance to flow (notice I didn’t say power increase). I switched back to a clean stock filter recently when cleaning the K&N. Drivability is better with the K&N, no doubt.

Most that throw on the simple open intakes love the sight and sound. I did too. But, rarely do folks go back to stock to compare after a couple weeks. I would advise you to take the “intake challenge” like I did. You might be surprised. Drivability is more important than sound for me. And for the vanity sake, almost nobody ever sees my intake. Just my 0.02.
That is strange, I've almost never read or heard of a simple intake affecting driveability.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

That is odd, I noticed no difference in drivability. Really, I didn't notice any difference in anything mechanical. It definitely looks way cooler, and the turbo noises are pretty loud. :D

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Someone with DSG & no tune that's also planning on upgrading their intake needs to hit up a track and get some consistent runs with DSG launch using both intakes.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Someone with DSG & no tune that's also planning on upgrading their intake needs to hit up a track and get some consistent runs with DSG launch using both intakes.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
IMO launch isn't the way to do it. 30-90 in third is probably going to eliminate the most variables.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk