GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

swansong

This may have come up before, but has anyone with a 2015 / MIB1 system noticed a difference in programming with 57 versus 97 ("reduced output power")? I saw another thread with a reference to 97 being used for MIB1 systems.

I currently have mine programmed to 57, and it sounds fantastic up until 60% volume or so, then it starts rattling the interior.

swansong

Hey guys,

I just broke the potentiometer for the subwoofer gain on my Helix DSP/AMP, does anyone happen to know the resistance range on that potentiometer or if it's possible to purchase the DSP alone?

Thanks!

I just did the same thing to my DSP, so for future forum knowledge, the pot appears to be a 10k linear pot. The exact part number might be an ACP CA6XH2,5-10KA2020, which is a Spanish company and not easily sourceable part in the US. I replaced it with a generic 10k linear through-hole pot. Anyone with a bit of electronics and soldering skill could do the same, but at your own risk, obviously.

And to follow up on my previous post, I stuck with the 57 programming; with the gain around 90% the whole system pounds.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

I have no idea how you guys can listen to music loud enough to get the system to distort. :D

You either have a super high threshold for pain, or your source quality is perfect.

Streaming through Google Play (which should be 320kbps) I can't get to 50% before I'll hear some distortion, and that is plenty loud for me. I have FLAC files on my SD Card and I can probably get a bit more volume, but I don't think I'd need it!

I guess I'm getting old.

swansong

You either have a super high threshold for pain.
It's this.
flipflp said:
I guess I'm getting old.
I'm old enough to know better, but the hearing loss from years of concerts might have gotten to me. :D

I primarily listen to Spotify at Very High quality (320 kbps). FM Radio obviously can't be cranked, and I haven't tried any lossless files on an SD card, though I'd love to to see if I notice a difference.

For the money, this Helix system rivals any DIY install I've done on any of my cars, and the stealthiness is unbeatable.

slider09

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the MIB1 in my R, wife has Dynaudio in her 7.5 GTI. Every time I get in her car I want to upgrade to this Helix. The bass from the Dynaudio is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
It's this.

I'm old enough to know better, but the hearing loss from years of concerts might have gotten to me. :D

I primarily listen to Spotify at Very High quality (320 kbps). FM Radio obviously can't be cranked, and I haven't tried any lossless files on an SD card, though I'd love to to see if I notice a difference.

For the money, this Helix system rivals any DIY install I've done on any of my cars, and the stealthiness is unbeatable.

At least you're honest! I had to check myself on the drive home yesterday and I brought the volume up to about as loud as I'd want it ever, and it was still under 50%.

Something that is going to effect the volume position, aside from source material, is the MIB settings for bluetooth and aux volumes as well as your phone's volume level. I believe my bluetooth is set at quiet in the MIB, and my phone volume is all the way up. If your phone volume is down, you'd need more of the MIB volume knob, which could inject some distortion from the MIB/Helix amp. Something to consider!

cinderbike

Ready to race!
I wish we could adjust bass/mid/treble per source too. Sirius, even with the bass and gain way down it super boomy, whilst Carplay/AUX sounds best with all settings flat.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
I have a 2017 Golf 1.8t 4 door. Which code should I use? Should it use “57” for version 1.0 Golf7 4 door or “97” for version 2.0 Golf7 4 door reduced output power? What’s the difference between the two versions? Is version 2.0 the facelifted Golfs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

furntree

Just wanted to share my install story in a 2019 Rabbit Edition as this car has the all in one head unit which people haven't talked about too in depth.

The install is mostly as usual but I found it helpful to take off all the side glove compartment plastic trim pieces. There is a nice convenient channel above those plastic parts behind the glovebox to lay the cable.

Take off the HVAC trim by prying up the bottom and then work your way around the head unit plastic trim with some tools. I don't really know a great way to do this and there is a mix of plastic and metal clips to worry about. Take your time and remember that the entire vent assembly comes out with it. Don't lose a metal clip in the vents!

You need 4 VW keys to get the touchscreen out and its helpful just to remove all radio cables and set it aside. Snake the helix cable through best you can and wire accordingly. The head unit connector is exactly the same as previous guides, I promise all the connectors will fit behind that thing!

The plastic that connects the seatbelt slot halves together is a real pain to snap back together, you're better off lifting the whole lower trim up and off to work on it in a good position.

There is a 10mm bolt that holds one of the rear trim pieces to the rear seats and the cable kind of runs right over it. I just put a tessa tape bandaid where it rubs and dealt with it.

Hard reset error codes is when this gets fun. Almost everything cleared as soon as I moved the car but I had a persistent airbag warning and the fuel level was reading dead 0%.

For airbag VCDS showed "passenger airbag light open or short to ground". That happened because I tested the radio with power while not having the passenger airbag light cables connected.

The fuel level was odd to me, but I couldn't remember my starting fuel level for the life of me. VCDS was showing some weird levels but everything seemed fine. I ended up reseating the fuel level sending unit connector under the rear seat. That at least made the needle move a little bit. I filled up the tank and realized I needed gas anyway, but that needle flatline was bugging me!

Also of note I took the DSP apart to look at the board and measure some things. If this board is what I think it might be and based off the Audiotec Fischer PP 62DSP with all the cool ports taken off. The knob everyone is talking about as subwoofer gain may actually be speaker level voltage input sensitivity adjustment. I didn't measure the speaker level voltage when I did my install, but if that is accurate I wouldn't mess with it too much. Personally I felt programming DSP file 57 made a big difference.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully this is helpful. These are all things I had questions on and wanted to put them in one place.

Only took a few hours even with the troubleshooting! Happy listening!

https://i.imgur.com/iPXTnMg.png

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31070&page=4

^^pics from another thread on what I did with my feet. I rented the dongle and wasn't really expecting anything. I see conflicting info about pre-programing and thought it sounded pretty good but figured the rental cost was worth it just to be sure. I was surprised how much better it sounds, harder hitting bass and cleaner more focused sound. I wish there was a way to go back and forth but rent the dang dongle!

also p/n's for longer bolt

1T0-803-899-A is the long bolt with nut

1T0-803-899-B is long bolt without nut.

For some weird reason it was cheaper with nut. If anyone in the Middletown/Durham CT area wants a long bolt PM me...you can buy me beverage/ice-cream or donate a few bucks to charity (it ain't worth shipping)...I wasn't sure what I was buying so I got one of each. If you move the feet inside the rim of the spare (see linked post) you can only use one nut...the spare fits snugly on the recess and the nut only holds it down.

I'm real impressed with the sound...it's as good as a car needs to be and it's any easy install. I even re-named my car.....Thumper

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I wish there was a way to go back and forth but rent the dang dongle!
If you just want the ability to switch between programmed and not programmed there is an oem switch that is used to demo the Helix system. I believe forum member StealthGTI (or StealthTDI) has the switch installed in his car. Don't know if it's in this thread or some other one but he mentioned the part number in one of his posts.

Part number is DKS051419, quite a few VW dealer part department websites show it available for about $40. Don't know if they actually would be able to source it but also see a couple on eBay for around $45.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I believe the sweety gives you speaker output without the Helix DSP doing it's thing. This is effectively bypassing it but it can't technically be bypassed due to how it's wired.

But if you're looking to switch between different programs quickly I don't know of a way other than the dongle, though it's not quick I suppose.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

If you just want the ability to switch between programmed and not programmed there is an oem switch that is used to demo the Helix system. I believe forum member StealthGTI (or StealthTDI) has the switch installed in his car. Don't know if it's in this thread or some other one but he mentioned the part number in one of his posts.

I did install the switch. I shared the info in this thread in this post. Here's a photo of my install:

I rarely change it back to "Original" since I don't need to. But it's cool on the rare occasion when I want to demo the Helix upgrade to a friend or acquaintance.