GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil temp 235

_dvorak

Ready to race!
Just saw 235F a few minutes ago. Barely even got into boost during the drive. Mix of city/highway. Not tuned. Ambient temp was ~75F

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
230s are not a thing of concern at all. I was up to 260 at a track day a few weeks back. Normal driving 220-230 range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting this, I was gonna say the same thing lol. 235 is a completely normal temperature, if you're driving around normally and it's around 250....that is a cause to look at lol.

Drive your car, enjoy it, it's fine. ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Glad I found this thread. I saw mine dip into the 230s this weekend just doing normal driving, seemed high to me as well. But, as mentioned, we run 40w oil for multiple reasons, heat being one.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I feel sorry for you folks that live below the mason-dixon line. Hell it's supposed to hit 100 tomorrow in Colorado for gods sake.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I feel sorry for you folks that live below the mason-dixon line. Hell it's supposed to hit 100 tomorrow in Colorado for gods sake.
I would gladly take allllll of that heat over a single snow storm. I don't have to get up early because of heat, or shovel it, or change my tires for it, or drive slower because of it. I can go on and on. Hahaha.

The moment a fellow Ohioan goes "Omg it's so hot out" and it's 85 I want to backhand them. Then I give them the days until Christmas countdown. If you guys can box up that heat and ship it here, I'll send you some snow in a box this winter.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
I patently disagree with the normalcy of these hot temps if you're untuned.

I'm very suspicious of VW right now because magically the moment I got my 15mt back from the dealer at 59k for it's 60k maintenance, I was running up to 237 on the highway on long easy drives.

Historically I watch my oil temps all the time. It's the only gauge I used.

It used to man at 228, maybe flicker at 230 when pushing a low gear for a long time.

Over night it was too hot. Not over filled. Dealer did oil change. I highly suspect they fucked me over on the oil change. It was 50F that first day; that temp change over night is evidence of foul play.

I did my 65k myself with Castrol correct spec; mostly back to normal immediately. It still hangs a little warmer than usual at 230 noticeably more frequently, but at least I'm not pushing 235+ just putting around town anymore. I probably damaged my oil pump driving it for 5k.

Dealers are scum bags.

Oil temps don't jump by a static 10° after an oil, filter, air filter and cabin filter change.

Hopefully by the next oil change it will have flushed 99% of that fucking garbage play dough out of my crank case and lines, and most importantly, turbo.

I don't trust the sudden appearance of this thread mysteriously close to the relative timing of the occurrence of my issue

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Floader

Passed Driver's Ed
I would love to see what you some of you guys think a "proper" oil temp should be?

Just for curiosity, we put a oil temp gauge in our oval track car. Its a GM 350 crate motor. In 10 laps it would peg at 300..... And it'll do that every weekend for years.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I patently disagree with the normalcy of these hot temps if you're untuned.

And your experience with other cars then your golf? The larger engine and turbo of the GTI creates more heat, so yes our temps are perfectly normal. So.... yeah.

You may have an issue but it has nothing to do with normal oil temps being 225-235F.

I'm nicknaming you tinfoil hat man.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
And your experience with other cars then your golf? The larger engine and turbo of the GTI creates more heat, so yes our temps are perfectly normal. So.... yeah.

You may have an issue but it has nothing to do with normal oil temps being 225-235F.

I'm nicknaming you tinfoil hat man.
I'm not saying oil can't do that temp without breaking down. Nobody is arguing that. My issue is that my temp is abnormally high with no meaningful Delta. I suspected the dealer put lower weight oil in or gave me some off brand garbage discount oil. I suspect many dealers would do the same. A local parts guy said he's seen that before at dealers, it wouldn't surprise him. He actually pitched the of brand idea.

Why make it a dick measuring contest about experience when you claim the GTI engine and turbo are big? Lmao cmon dude. The engine CAN survive at that high temp but everything wears faster. My experience is having kept an eye on the oil gauge of this car for over 60k miles. My point is application specific, has nothing to do with other cars lmao man c'mon